Tachometer repair and engine panel cover

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Steve Laume

Tachometer repair and engine panel cover

Post by Steve Laume »

When we had our survey done last year the surveyor noted that our Tach was off. He gave me the correct RPM compared to the reading I was getting. That was fine but this summer I have noticed erratic readings. So now I have a Tach that is only a rough guide at best. Is there some place that would recondition this instrument or should I be looking for a new unit? If I do need to get a new one is there a certain type or connections that would make replacement easy? The last part of this is that the fool thing is in the bottom of the cockpit. Last winter I had removed the recess, painted it and recaulked it into place. That should keep water from seeping into the locker in the event that water enters the cockpit. What bothers me is that there is no protection for the switches, wiring and the gauges in the instrument panel.
We did manage to take two waves over the stern this season and I do not believe that could have helped the reliability of our electrical system. Has any one rigged up a water proof cover for their engine control panel? Maybe a few gallons of sea water sloshing around the panel won't hurt it but it just doesn't seem right, Steve.