Replacing Rudder for Typhoon

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

jamie harrell
"Osprey"
Mobjack Bay VA

Replacing Rudder for Typhoon

Post by jamie harrell »

We finished up our 1st full season with "Osprey" with a hard grounding on the way to have the boat pulled. Tow US got us off, but either in the grounding, being pulled off, or during the wild tow in the swells and wind we lost our rudder.

I am now starting to look about having a new rudder fabricated and attached. I've read a few of the old streams on the subject, but was curious if anyone had some updated info on costs. Also if anyone might have dimensions/tracing of rudder that we could use.

Not really the winter project we had in mind this year, but what is one to do. Any information would be helpful.

Jamie Harrell
74 Typhoon "Osprey"
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Ty Rudder

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Jamie,

How much of the steering is missing? Usually the blade separates from the post and a new blade must be fabricated to be attached to the existing rudder post.

I've got plans and dimensions. I have tracings , too, but they are buried out in the shop somewhere.

Here are some strictly ballpark figures:

Do it yourself:
Material - About $100.00

Have it made by others:
I inquired of others and received bids ranging from $700.00 upward to $1,600.00.

On top of these figures, add S&H.

Good luck,
O J
LoneStar

Ty Rudder

Post by LoneStar »

Jamie,

John shared excellent info with me last year which led to a solidly constructed new rudder for my Ty. I did it myself, (with a little fabrication help from my local stainless steel welder), and now have a new rudder shaft/rudder assembly that looks and works great. The project was a little intimidating at first, but it was really a piece of cake. I have the spec drawing for the internal ss plate that is welded to my new shaft, as well as dimensions from my original rudder; and will be happy to trace a pattern of my original rudder and mail all of the info to you if you would like. Email me if you are interested.

Regards,

Mike