Marinas on Chesapeake Bay

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Kato

Marinas on Chesapeake Bay

Post by Kato »

This is a little off topic for a Cape Dory message board and not sure this has been hashed over before, but I am going to purchase a Cape Dory on the Chesapeake Bay and was wondering what a good marina would be. I'm not looking for a resort type marina with all the bells and whistles, just one that has good staff and a minimum of tidal flow. My last boat was at a scruffy marina on the Delaware with a current of 3 knots or more and tidal rise and fall of 7 feet or better. Makes docking tricky for even the most experienced. Rock and roll music blasting all night at times got a bit tedious also. Could do without that.
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Can you narrow it down somewhat?

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Eastern shore, western shore? Northen Chesapeake? South?
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Russell

Post by Russell »

If your looking for western shore mid bay, Herrington Harbor is tough to beat.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Kato

Herrington Harbor North

Post by Kato »

I have enquired at Herrington Harbor North (different I think from Herrington Harbor South which is the more posh of the two I think), but knowing little about the Chesapeake, I have been overwhelmed by the number of marinas. I have seen lists that list over 500 marinas in the Bay alone. An over abundance of riches to be sure, but makes it tough to start sorting them out.

To narrow it down a bit, I am looking for something Middle to North. I'm guessing the Eastern side is nicer(?) and I would prefer NOT to be in a "boat parking lot" if I can help it. Something "Mom and Pop" like would be nice but with fuel and a dockmaster. I will be live-aboard most of the summer if not longer so a nice environment would be important.

It's awful tough to this with just a computer and I think I'm going to have to get in the truck and drive the Bay this winter to put an eyeball on some places. But 500+ marinas? Sheeesh...

Thanks for your replys.

[/quote]
jerryaxler

marina

Post by jerryaxler »

There are about ten marinas in Rock Hall that fit your description of the "ideal" marina. Unfortunately, there are now waiting lists for many marinas.
Fairwinds and following seas,
Jerry Axler
Steve D

CD For Sale

Post by Steve D »

Kato,

I am selling my CD 33 if you are in the market. Let me know and I will email you a listing.

Steve

smdettman@cox.net
Tod Mills

I have a little experience with one...

Post by Tod Mills »

Spring Cove Marina, Solomon's Island. When I say a little, I mean just a little, as I've only used that as a starting/finishing point for several Chesapeake Bay cruises. I can put you in touch with someone who has kept a boat there for several years if it sounds interesting:

I think it has a pretty homey feel to it, and the tides/currents are pretty minimal. The office and facilities have always been very well maintained every time I've been there and the grounds have a good mix of open space and trees, so sitting aboard your boat wouldn't have the "middle of the parking lot desert" feel to it.

There are restaurants, grocery stores, chandleries and a host of services available nearby (a WM store is a 5 minute walk away, a couple of restaurants even closer, plus another chandlery and other stores a wee bit further).

Solomon's Island is pretty centrally located and I've found it a good starting point for visiting various places around the bay, from up the Pax, down to the Potomac, over to the Choptank and Little Choptank, Tangier, etc.

Trevor Richards manages the place. I doubt it is real cheap. I can put you in touch with a berth holder; e-mail me if you are interested.

Here is a scene from the place:

[img]http://www.todspages.net/images/LF-SpringCoveMarina.jpg[/img]

An interesting place to spend a summer would be at Tangier Island, although I don't know what sort of arrangement that would be. It would certainly require more self-sufficiency and planning as to groceries and things. Probably meet a lot of interesting people. IIRC, the guy running the docks was named John (?) Parks. Parks, at least. I suspect this would be relatively inexpensive, although I can't be sure.

Expect to become an early riser if you aren't already one, as the watermen will surely rouse you. :D

[img]http://www.todspages.net/images/LF-TangierDocks.jpg[/img]

Over on the eastern shore, down at Crisfield, there is a very large state-run marina that is pretty new.
Tod Mills
Montgomery 17 "BuscaBrisas", Sandusky, OH (with trips elsewhere)
Tartan 26 project boat
Cape Dory admirer
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

I'll second the recommendation for Rock Hall

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

If you are interested in the eastern shore. Its a nice central location, good selection of marinas, a nice town not too big, not too small. I'd expect it to be a little cheaper than St Michaels or Oxford. Decide on the area first then find the marina.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
mahalocd36

Rock Hall Question

Post by mahalocd36 »

Hi,
When we were looking around for a place to keep the boat in MD, we looked at Rock Hall as well. It seemed like some of the marinas (Spring Cove?) were pretty shallow to get into looking at the charts, though there were some big boats there. With our 5.5' draft it seemed to be touchy to get in, there were a lot of 5's on the chart. Is that not reality?

We found prices really depended on the facilities a place had, not location. You definitely want to check them out in person though, to get a feel for the place, the people, etc. We learned a lot from wandering docks and talking to people, seeing the condition of the docks, the width of the alleys to get in and out of slips (important to us docking spuds), etc. Also learn a lot from visiting the head/shower area.

We liked the Herrington Harbors but the real estate is more $$ on the western side. Actually there was a marina right next to HH North (Has a big anchor wheel on the sign, forget the name) that was pretty nice and a little less expensive.

Thanks,
Melissa
drb9

Post by drb9 »

I think the marina next to HHN is Shipwright, but they are most likely not less expensive. I inquired about rates there a few years ago, and found them significantly more expensive. Just beyond Shipwright is Rockhold Creek Marina, where I kept my boat for a number of years--it was very nice and affordable. (I've since relocated to Herrington South, mainly because of easy access to the bay, and a nice pool for the kids.)
Kato

Thanks for the replys

Post by Kato »

Thanks for the help. I'm gonna have to drive the area for sure to find a good spot I think. Cheap of course is good. Informal too. Scratching myself and hanging onto a cup of coffee at dawn on the aft deak and seeing my neighbors in yachting gear with cap and docksiders staring in disapproval is something I would like to avoid. Sounds like it will be the Eastside for me. Then again, I'm no Chesapeake crabber niether so I don't want to get in the way of any people that have to actually earn a living. I'm retired don't ya' know. :wink:

Thanks again y'all.

Like Alfred J. Proofrock said, "Into the fog!"
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

One more thought

Post by Jim Davis »

Make sure you also consider the effect traffic will have on you. There are some specific problem areas well known to us that live here. For example on a summer Friday afternoon you don't want to be crossing the Bay Bridge from west to east, on Sunday afternoon the reverse is true. As you said you are living in a week of Saturdays so it isn't as important, but should be considered.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei