Replacing Typhoon Winch

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jamie Harrell

Replacing Typhoon Winch

Post by Jamie Harrell »

It looks more and more likely that we'll need to replace the original Gibb winch on our 74 Typhoon. I was curious about what size we should be looking at. Any ideas from board members that have replaced them? Particular brand preferences?
Al Z

A Winch On A Ty???

Post by Al Z »

Jamie - Why in the world do you need a winch on a Ty? Al
slaume

winches

Post by slaume »

Jamie, don't let Al bother you about needing winches on your TY. Al must be a strong man if he is trimming a good sized genoa on his TY without a winch. No matter what head sails he is using I will bet he ends up with split combing boards if he keeps cleating without taking a wrap or two on the winch first. I am not sure which manufacturer you will be using as it seems their sizes vary by number. I found a pair on E-bay for my DY a couple of years ago. There are always winches listed if you have the time to watch for them. Nice winches are fun to play with and isn't that just what we are doing when we go sailing? Have fun, Steve.
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Re: Replacing Typhoon Winch

Post by winthrop fisher »

Hi Jamie.
before you go out to buy a new one or two.
have you tried to fix the two of them.
because i have a 75 and all i do is ever two or three years i take them off and clean them up and lube them.
and you don't have to take them off the boat to clean them,
just take the drum off the top and lube the insides.
thats it.
go to a marina store and ask for a marine lube kit for sail boats wrenches, it will cost around $25.
those wrenches will cost you around $250 each.
winthrop

Jamie Harrell wrote:It looks more and more likely that we'll need to replace the original Gibb winch on our 74 Typhoon. I was curious about what size we should be looking at. Any ideas from board members that have replaced them? Particular brand preferences?
Angela and Tom
prev. Typhoon "Dog Star"
Duxbury, MA

Try cleaning them

Post by Angela and Tom »

When we bought our Ty last year, the one big repair it needed was winches. We read all the posts that poo-pooed the need for them on a Ty and figured we’d try sailing without them. In heavy air, even without a genny, single handing was extremely difficult especially in a tight mooring situation under sail. If we didn’t trade up to CD28 this year, winches would’ve been top priority.

Winthrops's right. Have you considered trying to clean and loosen them? We were loath to give up the gorgeous original bronze Barlow winches that came with the boat. The surveyor suggested we borrow an impact screwdriver and take them apart and clean them. Never did get around to it before we sold the boat, so I can’t give you a report on how successful it was. But it’s sure seems like it’s worth a try!
Appleton68

Cleaning/lubricating

Post by Appleton68 »

How do you "take the drum off the top"?
Greg
Serge Zimberoff
"Cloning Around"
Lake Sonoma, CA

Winch Care

Post by Serge Zimberoff »

At least two flavors of winches seem to have been on the Ty's. The GIBB winches come off with the removal of the obvious center screw in the top. BE CAUTIOUS...two little springs and pawls inside! The best way is to unbolt the winch from the bracket and do it on a bench. If the mounting bolts to the bracket are frozen, it is ok to destructively crack the nuts to get them off. They are standard 1/4-20 and easy to replace.
Clean and reassemble.
Another brand has an almost invisible snap ring on the top that has to be taken off. Again...best done on the work bench.
Should both be fine after cleaning. Old grease that was applied too liberaly probably gumming up the works.
And...yes...you DO need them. Plus when single handing using them as a winch and turning block brings the sheet nicely over to the windward side.
Serge
Nancy Martin
Location: Cape Dory 31, Hull #85, "Carina", Typhoon, Hull #1655, "KnoTy Boy", Atlanta, GA

Winches

Post by Nancy Martin »

1979, Hull #1655, is a Christmas present but I couldn't wait till the 25th. We just removed, cleaned and lubed the old winches today. They were frozen up but once cleaned they "clicked" like a charm. Do be carefule with the parts because they can scatter quickly.
Nancy & John Martin
CD31, "Carina" & Typhoon, "Knoty Boy". :D
Nancy & John Martin
Sailing on Lake Lanier just NE of Atlanta
Typhoon #1655 "KnoTy Boy" 1979
CD31 #85 "Carina" 1985
www.carina31.blogspot.com
cthrall

Post by cthrall »

We took our Barient winches apart after the first season with our Ty. We used a lot of degreaser and cleaned everything. They work perfectly now and really fit the Typhoon nicely. They weren't too bad to disassemble and reassemble.

West Marine has a parts kit for Barient winches, not sure if they are the right pieces for the winches on the Typhoon.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Winches

Post by Neil Gordon »

One additional standard caution...

Don't disassemble both winches at the same time. A put together one is a good way to see which way the parts from the other one go together.

The other good idea is to cut a cardboard box or whatever so that it fits over the winch before you start scattering parts around. (There's no part that floats!)
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698