12 inchs of snow

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

12 inchs of snow

Post by winthrop fisher »

good morning ever one. :)
waking up to 12 inches of snow on the ground...FUN...
any one want to help move it...
winthrop
Parfait's Provider
berthed Whortonsville, NC

Dry Snow?

Post by Parfait's Provider »

Winthrop,

Is it a dry snow? Where? I'll be rushing my 60+ year old bod over to help.

:)
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
rtbates

best of luck

Post by rtbates »

Winthrop:

My hat is off to you and all the others who live in such conditions. You're truly a hardy bunch. Down here in Austin, Tx it got down to 28 last night with a tad of freezing drizzle. Hundreds of accidents. Our world comes to a stand still. Of course we just aren't used to these conditions. But it's the temperature that kills me. I suppose growing up in Key West and Corpus Christi Tx simply never allowed my body to get acclimated to cold. Thirty years ago I was in the military and was stationed in Northern Germany. I hope to never experience that level of cold, ice, and snow ever again.

Stay warm
Randy 25D Seraph #161
Scott F

I Need to Get me a Spray Can of "Summer Breeze" or

Post by Scott F »

like that. Its 3 degrees F right now, 4" of snow on the ground... Brrrrr. While the keel boat and catamaran are tucked away indoors for the winter, I'm anticipating the start of winter sailing!! Yep, even in Minnesota. I sail a NITE iceboat in the winter. The ice has formed on the lake this week, needs another week or two before its safe, then I'll take the boat out for some awesome winter sailing. Its a different feeling from keel boat or catamaran sailing, going 70 miles an hour down the lake, laying on your back, maybe 12" off the ice. Nothing like the sound of ice chunks flying up from the front runner, smacking your helmet, the wind blowing like stink with a numbing 30 below zero windchill factor, going 50 mph and feeling the boat heeling as it rises up in the air, sigh....

While I love warm weather sailing with a warm breeze blowing on my face, cold weather sailing with a 10 degree breeze can be fun too :)
barfwinkle

A Dusting

Post by barfwinkle »

of that crap even made this far south. Please take it and the stinking cold air that came with it back?
Bill Member #250.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: 12 inchs of snow

Post by Neil Gordon »

<<SHIFTING INTO FOUR WHEEL DRIVE AND OTHERWISE IGNORING THE WEATHER>>
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Post by winthrop fisher »

good morning,
i got to stay home at least,
but waking up today its .9 out side with all that snow hard and ice on top of that.
be glad to be in the south.
talk to guys and gals later.
winthrop
barfwinkle

The Frozen South

Post by barfwinkle »

be glad to be in the south
Well Winthrop our dusting is gone, but the cold certainly isn't. 7° this AM.

HH
Bill Member #250.
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

At least we can enjoy snow up here

Post by Joe Myerson »

Winthrop, et al:

You've got my condolences. Please don't think I'm rubbing it in, but we can enjoy snow up here in frozen Yankeeland.

The storm that brought so much discomfort to the southern Cape Dorians has finally reached New England. We're expecting 10-12 inches here in central Massachusetts, and that means that I might be able to get out the cross-country skiis this afternoon.

The mailbox has been pulled away from the road, so the plow doesn't knock it over. My snowblower was already set: new sparkplug, new oil, belts tightened and tank filled. It's been sitting at the front of the barn, just behind the door, since the snowstorm predicted last week. That storm never came.

So, let it snow!

--Joe Myerson

P.S. Where has our lake-effect snow expert, O.J. been in this exchange?
Andy Denmark

&quot;That's a sign!&quot; (Jeff Foxworthy)

Post by Andy Denmark »

There are some visible signs that say to me, "You don't want to live here."

One of them is "Snow Emergency Route", another is "Watch For Falling Rocks," and yet one more is "Tsunami Evacuation Route."
Murphy, of Law fame, says that eventually one of these will get you.

When the lane reflectors are recessed into the pavement to keep the snowplows from busting them, that's another indicator. Owning a snowblower, snow shovel, or having to move your mailbox tells a story, too. Anyplace where you have to haul your boat(s) out of the water, or bring a dog inside, to keep them from freezing adds to the list.

Brrrr .....................!
________
Amber trichomes
Last edited by Andy Denmark on Feb 13th, '11, 03:22, edited 1 time in total.
Parfait's Provider

Escape Routes

Then there are the escape routes around Raleigh. I think they merely put everyone on the beltline, 1/2 clockwise and 1/2 counter-clockwise. There's also those in CO where the arrow points up rock-strewn 100% grade; the message seems to be to abandon everything and climb fast in the case of flooding.
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
barfwinkle

Amen Andy

Post by barfwinkle »

There are some visible signs that say to me, "You don't want to live here."

One of them is "Snow Emergency Route", another is "Watch For Falling Rocks," and yet one more is "Tsunami Evacuation Route."
Murphy, of Law fame, says that eventually one of these will get you.

When the lane reflectors are recessed into the pavement to keep the snowplows from busting them, that's another indicator. Owning a snowblower, snow shovel, or having to move your mailbox tells a story, too. Anyplace where you have to haul your boat(s) out of the water, or bring a dog inside, to keep them from freezing adds to the list.

Brrrr .....................!
My sentiments exactly :!: And you could add to that anywhere appropriate footwear is anything OTHER THAN sandals (or bare feet)! I do have a pair of winter sandals! :D
Bill Member #250.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Let It Snow, Let it Snow, Let It Snow

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Joe and to all of the other Snow Bunnies,

Sorry to get back to you so late. We had 14" of new powder last night and as of now, it's still coming down.

I just came in after frolicking in the new snow for an hour or so. I was having such a great time making snow angels, clad only in my flesh tone speedo and flip flops. The sheriff made me go inside, said something about irate women neighbors' complaints. Sheeesh.

On a less serious matter, I guess that's it's fair to say that there are two sides to a pancake, no matter how thin the batter is. I distinctly remember telling my blushing young bride that I flat out refused to live in an area where a tornado wakes you up at 3:00 AM, or wasting a good part of the year glued to the TV set hoping and praying that the advancing hurricane will go the other way and miss us. I haven't touched on earthquakes yet, have I?

I might have mentioned this before, but in reality, I spent a good bit of time living in Alaska, much of it above the Arctic Circle, working for my uncle Samuel.

It's not even winter around here yet. There's not much over 20" of snow on the ground. When we start to measure snowfall with a yardstick, then it's time to think about getting the long handled woolies out of mothballs.

In these climes, there is much to do to fill in the void between sailing seasons. Personally, I happen to be an avid downhill skier. I'm not that far away from a world class skiing venue, Whiteface Mountain at Lake Placid Olympic site, in the Adirondacks

. One of the perks of being a creaky old man is that NYS offers free skiing to residents who are over 70. I gotta tell you that I'm way ahead of that curve.

My late wive's dog is a Husky, an Alaskan sled dog. If things ever got bad, I could ride her into town. That dog doesn't know what "inside" means. Sometimes, she doesn't bother to go inside of her doghouse. She just curls up with her back to the wind and enjoys the good life.

Well, I'm burning good daylight. I think that I'll go out and frolick some more, maybe cause some palpitations and swooning in the neighborhood. Hey, if you've got it, flaunt it. :D

Later,
O J
Parfait's Provider

Good form

OJ,

Nice to see you in good form! It is sunny and cool in Raleigh today. With any luck at all, the lakes will re-fill over Winter and we will be able to water our lawns and wash our cars next Spring.
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Yaaay John!

Post by Joe Myerson »

I knew you could hold up the Northern end of this thread!

Stay cool,

--Joe (in semi-tropical Massachusetts)