Removal of spreader from Typhoon mast

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Removal of spreader from Typhoon mast

Post by Guest »

I'm using my Typhoon mast as a support for a tarp this winter. One spreader slipped off easily. The other side is stuck. Any tips on how to remove it? NOTE: It looks like the prior owner tried to remove it because it is gouged. Thanks.
Mike Raehl
Location: CD27 #151, Roberta Jane III, Belmont Harbor, Chicago

Been there, done that....

Post by Mike Raehl »

A very sad day three weeks ago when I sold my Typhoon Weekender; sad because I had spent so much time improving her. (My wife insisted that I could only have one Cape Dory.)

Your spreader question is exactly one of the "improvement" projects that I tackled. My stuck spreader even had the pliers marks where the PO had tried to remove it. I first tried WD40, PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench and at least three other solvents. None worked.

So here goes.....
First step is to buy a new spreader since you will destroy the old one. I bought a pair of new spreaders from, I think, Spartan Marine. If you replace one, might as well replace them both.

Next, I cut off the old spreader with a hack saw about 1/2 inch above the spreader base so I would have an edge of the spreader to grab with a vise grip pliers. Then using a small carbon steel bit, I drilled a series of holes vertically down the wall of the spreader being careful not to damage the spreader base. These holes weakened the wall of the spreader stub stuck in the spreader base. Finally, I used the vise grip to break out the stub piece by piece.

Last step was to install the new spreaders.

Hope this helps.
Mike Raehl
Dick Villamil

Typhoon spreader

Post by Dick Villamil »

I had the same problem - appears that salt corroded the two parts together. Squirt some WD 40 into the spreader where it sits on the post then apply some mild heat. This should separate the corrosion bond - Then place a cloth over the spreader where it is on the support post and gently twist with a vise grip or other type of similar tool - do not squeeze so hard that the spreader is gouged or collapsed. Repeat this trying not to overheat the metal or squeeze the spreader tube too hard. Perseverance whould pay off. When finished, remove the corrosion and then coat with a spray lubricant to make it easier thereafter to remove the spreader. There is another chemical that can be purchased at auto parts stores that dissolve the corrosion but I don't know the name of it.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Stuck Spreader

Post by Oswego John »

Hi,

Try using a strap wrench on the spreader. This will not leave tool marks on the metal or collapse the tubing.

All of the other above tricks still apply.

Good luck,
O J