Transmission removal CD33

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Transmission removal CD33

Post by Guest »

Does anyone know if the engine has to be moved/removed to replace the transmission in a CD33 with a Universal 5424 and Hurth (not sure of Model number) transmission?

Maurice
1981 CD 33
"Grace"
Tom in Cambria

Transmission Removal

Post by Tom in Cambria »

I'm not absolutely sure about the 5424 engine, but it's probably just like the next smaller M25. It's easy to look and see though. Usually the Hurth (btw you undoubtedly have HBW 100 tranny) transmission bolts to the bell housing from the inside. To get the transmission off you have to get inside the bell housing. To get inside you have to at least lift the engine because the rear two mounts are on the bell housing. If they had designed it so you could remove the tranny by unbolting from the outside it would be easy and no engine lifting or removal would be necessary, but alas, no such luck. What they usually do is disconnect the prop shaft flange, then put a chain hoist on the rear of the engine and lift it enough that you can reach inside the bell housing and unbolt the transmission from the inside. This is awkward and you have to stand on your head in the bilge to accomplish it, so often it's easier just to pull the whole engine and set it on the bench so you can work on it. Even just lifting involves disconnecting the exhaust pipes and so on so it's a bigger deal than it seems at first.

While you've got it out check the alignment of the bell housing because this is often what causes trannys to go bad. A slight misalignment here causes the pressure plates inside the tranny to wear and that's what causes it to slip. And, of course, you want to put in a new dampfer plate while you're at it. Inspect the springs in the plate carefully as you can often see wear around the springs if there is a misalignment. None of this requires any special skill or knowledge, but it's a tedious and time consuming process. Leave yourself a week to do it, and maybe if you're lucky and handy you will be able to beat that time.
Zeida Cecilia-Mendez

Post by Zeida Cecilia-Mendez »

On Bandolera II, a CD-33 with a Universal 5242 M-30 and 100 Hurth tranny, you do not need to lift the engine to remove the tranny. The rear motor mounts are not on the bell housing and they do not interfere with the bell housing or tranny at all. The big bolts that hold the tranny to the bellhousing can be removed from the outside of the tranny with the correct wrench. Of course, you need to remove the coupling and push back the prop shaft to make room to pull out the tranny. It's better to have a qualified mechanic (a short one) so he can sit at the back of the engine. If your muffler is attached to the side of the tranny, then that also has to be removed first. In my case, I have already repositioned the muffler to its own separate small platform so it does not interfere with the tranny. I recently had to replace the damper plate, since after the engine has over 2000 hours, this is recommended. Also recommended that if you do remove the tranny, change the oil seals, gaskets, etc. before putting everything back together. AFTER the boat is back in the water, then you MUST recheck the alignment.
Zeida

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the information!!

Maurice
Zeida Cecilia-Mendez

Post by Zeida Cecilia-Mendez »

Hi, Maurice... if you give want to e-mail me directly, I can send you photos of the rear of my engine - tranny, muffler, removal of same, replacement of damper plate, etc., when I did all of the above to my Universal. You most probably also have the Hurth Model 100 tranny. My CD-33 is hull # 73. I have a feeling "Grace" must be quite close in age to "Bandolera", with most of the same aging problems.

There are several of us on this board that have the same boats with the same engines, and plenty of useful information.
Zeida

Post by Guest »

Thanks again, that would be nice. I can use all the help I can get. Boat was damaged by hurricaine Rita. Was leaving our lake to take it to boatyard in Kemah, Texas when the engine quit. No marine diesel mechanics in our area and we have been troubleshooting on our own. Insurance company (Boat/US) says we can't prove engine problem is due to hurricaine (worked fine before the storm) and won't transport "Grace" to the boatyard.

Please send the pictures you have.

Maurice
sull365@bellsouth.net