Mast Length CD 28 1982

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

mojo

Mast Length CD 28 1982

Post by mojo »

I Need to find exact mast length for a CD-28 1982. Anyone know where I can find this? Could not see exact length in specs (even though It may be there). Thank You in advance for any help yall can provide. Mojo
Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Mast length

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

I have a 1983 CD 28. The mast is sitting on saw horses in the shed right now. I hooked a tape measure on the bottom and read 34 feet 10 and 1/2 inches to the top of the masthead fitting. This does not count the tri color/anchor light which extends higher. Hope this helps.
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
Mojo

mast length CD 28

Post by Mojo »

Jerry Thank you for the reply. I am having to replace my mast, it broke in Katrina. I will have to get a blank and refit it. The measurement of the blank it what is needed. Your measurement included the hardware on base and the top right?? I looked at the specs in owner's manual and there is a mesurement reference by the letter "I" which is 35feet and some inches This may be it.
Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Mast length

There is no hardware at the base. The mast sits over a fitting that is bolted to the deck. But the bottom of the mast is just the open end of the tube. The length given includes the fitting at the top. Let me know if you need more.
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
mojo

Cape dory mast lenth

Post by mojo »

OK, Thank you Jerry. Your info will be a great help.. Ken Clark
David van den Burgh

Re: Mast length

Post by David van den Burgh »

Jerry Hammernik wrote:The length given includes the fitting at the top.
It would seem to me that the needed measurement is the extrusion alone, not including the masthead assembly.
MOJO -K CLARK

EXTRUSION ONLY -RIGHT!

Post by MOJO -K CLARK »

That's what I need ...extusion only (just the mast itself) but can't find that measurement. I only have 5 feet of mast left, but that will give dimensions of tubing, and I have the winches cleats etc. but not top mast fitting. If you can direct me further, thanks. K Clark CD-28
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

CD-28 mast section

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

The original spars on your Cape Dory are Spartan Spars. Rig-Rite is the exclusive distributor of Spartan Spars.

This is the technical information for your mast -- copied directly from Rig-Rite's web site. If you go to the web page for the CD-4 Spar, you'll also find all of the fittings, e.g., the masthead, toggles, bails, etc.

Spartan Spars CD-4 Mast Section
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spartan Spars CD-4
Measurements: (OD) 6.0" x 4.0" (152mm x 102mm)
Wall Thickness: .160"
Weight/ft.: 2.87 lbs.
Moments of inertia: Ixx = 8.3", Iyy = 4.45"
Circumference: 15 7/8"
Alloy: 6061-T6
Standard Mast Lengths: 33'8", 36', 41'6"
Sail slides: 3/4" flat slides (A006M)
Internal Electrical slides: SP-E126
Common Mast usage: Cape Dory 27*, Cape Dory 270*, Cape Dory 28, Cape Dory 30*;

It looks like you need the 36' length and have it cut to the appropriate length.

Keep in mind that Rig-Rite has suffered a major catastrophic fire recently and may or may not have what you're looking for since much of their stock was lost in the fire. But try contacting them. It'll have to be by fax: 401-739-1149. You can use this form (print it, complete it and fax it to them) if you know what you want.

Another option, is to contact the Dwyer Aluminum Mast Company instead. You'll probably get better customer service from Dwyer as well but the mast will probably have to be custom made.

Good luck,
Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay

Jerry... could I get one more measurment..please ??

Post by Guest »

Thanks Cathy for the help I think that should cover what I need however Jerry's measurement is 14" longer than the specs given by Spartan / Rig-Rite. I could just split difference! Hey Jerry could you give me a measurement of mast from bottom up to the base of the masthead ? ... thanks to all of ya'll. Ken Clark -Mississippi
Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Mast length

Ken,
Sorry not to be faster. I've been off the computer most of the weekend due to the press of other stuff. The lenth of the "tube" only is 34' 7 &1/4 ". Let me know if you need more.
Jerry Hammernik

Ken clark-mojo

Thank you Jerry!!!!!

Post by Ken clark-mojo »

Thank you, I can now order a mast. Do you have time to give me one more measurement... I need distance from base of mast up to the center of spreader bracket. This should do it. -Ken
Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Mast length

That would be 17' even. Let me know if you want anything else checked. You want to be really really really sure before you place the order. Good Luck!
Jerry Hammernik

bobdugan

How is RigRite doing?

Post by bobdugan »

Ken clark-mojo wrote:Thank you, I can now order a mast. Do you have time to give me one more measurement... I need distance from base of mast up to the center of spreader bracket. This should do it. -Ken
Has anyone dealt with RigRite recently? Carter seemed to have problems with them back in May.

Bob
Bob Dugan - Assistant Webmaster
Pacific Seacraft 34: Emerald || CD 25D: Cricket (former owner)
Jubilee Yacht Club Beverly, MA in the Spring/Fall and Bustins Island, ME in the Summer
georgia

new masts

Post by georgia »

We recently ordered a mast from Ballenger Spars, in case you want to get a couple of quotes. They do a custom design and the quality was excellent.