Windlass on 30MKII

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Shanna Paxton
Located in Saint Michaels, MD

Windlass on 30MKII

Post by Shanna Paxton »

I am getting ready to install Lewmar horizontal windlass with foot switches and a remote in the stern and washdown pump on Wanderlust. We have a lot of pictures in the archives of installs on CD36's, but I have not seen any of on a MKII. If anyone has a MKII with a windlass or has installed one I would greatly appreciate any pictures or tips. In particular where you mounted the windlass unit itself and any issues you had in doing it.

Thanks,
Shanna
CD30MKII Wanderlust
Shanna Paxton
CD 30 MK II Hull#17

Re: Windlass on 30MKII

Post by Guest »

Shanna Paxton Merrell wrote:I am getting ready to install Lewmar horizontal windlass with foot switches and a remote in the stern and washdown pump on Wanderlust. We have a lot of pictures in the archives of installs on CD36's, but I have not seen any of on a MKII. If anyone has a MKII with a windlass or has installed one I would greatly appreciate any pictures or tips. In particular where you mounted the windlass unit itself and any issues you had in doing it.

Thanks,
Shanna
CD30MKII Wanderlust

Why not just buy a power boat?
Ben Thomas

Windlass

Post by Ben Thomas »

As we all know, Its Okay to want a windlass. Its even more Okay to have one. In my estimation it says nothing derogatory of ones nature. Negative Glib remarks however do.
Although I don't have a MII I do have the 30. Several years ago I installed a lofrans 700. Foot switches and remote in cockpit.
Some things to consider: these things suck amps from the battery bank. Can your battery bank take the load? By following the specs. on cable size, Sometimes better to jump up one size depending on the length of the run gets spendy.
Placement of the windlass: Placement of the foot switches can be such that their under side componets are in the chain locker. Cabling can be run up the inside bulkhead out of sight as well as mounting the control unit on that bulkhead out of sight.
The remote should be within easy reach when you are at the helm.
A sizeable backing plate needs to be in place for the windlass, lots of torque placed on the deck when pulling in 100 ft. of chain and 200 ft. of rode.
Be sure to epoxy the cut outs, scarfing out balsa and laying in epoxy in U shaped space between glass to seal the core.
Looking back I wish I had used the foot switches with covers. Small space, its easy to push one accidently with a mis step.
Use a bridle to take the load off the windlass and tie it to the cleats when at anchor.
When securing the foot switches to the fore deck use thru bolts not screws. epoxy the holes like all cut outs. I placed foot switches not side by side but fore and aft (diagonally) the forward switch is down-out, aft switch is up-in. Easier for crew to remember.
Having a windlass is a back saver. It was also a task always relegated to the captain (me). Now younger crew members can easily master its deployment and extraction, the more involved with running the ship the better for everyone on board.
I do have some jpegs of the install.
Best of luck, Ben
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

I've seen a windlass on a CD30MKII

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Shana,

A few years back Dick Feffer (CD30MKII, Ada Marie) installed a windlass on his boat. He has since sold the boat but I'll send him a note and ask if he'll share his thoughts regarding that installation with you.

Fair winds,
Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Shanna Paxton
Located in Saint Michaels, MD

Thanks

Post by Shanna Paxton »

Ben and Cathy:
Ben, Thanks for your input. Even though the models are different a lot of the issues will be the same. My father is going to help me with the install and I think we are in good shape on the battery issue. I generally single hand my boat with my son who is now 5, and I think the windlass will be a great help.

Cathy, Rich has very graciously offered some advise which we will heed. Thanks for putting us in touch.
Shanna Paxton
CD 30 MK II Hull#17