Sail advice wanted: 180 genoa for a Typhoon Weekender

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

R. Manning - guest

Post by R. Manning - guest »

I own a 1982 Typhoon Weekender that came with a 150 genoa when I bought it. I really enjoy the sail and have used it every time I have taken the boat out. My question is: Is it worth the money (around $500.00) to buy a 180 genoa for the boat? Will I realize any further benefits from the larger sail (faster hull speeds, better pointing ability, better downwind performance, etc.), or just more expense and an overpowered boat?

I would like to really hear from Typhoon owners that have actually sailed under both sails, the 150 and the 180, and what their experiences were.

Thank you for your input.

R. A. Manning
Cheboygan, MI.
"Second Wind"
Neil Mietz

Good Question - I would also like to know.

Post by Neil Mietz »

I currently sail my Typhoon with a 155.
Would a larger sail be useful, say a 175 or 180?
Usually have light winds in July and August on the Jersey shore.

Neil
________
COLORADO MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARIES
________
GREY'S ANATOMY DICUSSION
Last edited by Neil Mietz on Feb 15th, '11, 08:07, edited 2 times in total.
Mag

Post by Mag »

When I owned a Typhoon, it had a 195. Sailing down wind, poled out, it blistered everyone.

It also made a good shield from water balloons at the clubhouse.

If I owned a Typhoon, that sail would be working its way up my priority list.

Gary
slaume

TY sails

Post by slaume »

When we were sailing the Typhoon we had 3 head sails on board. We had the working jib, a 140 and a 165, which were all hank on sails. I could not imagine having just any one of them. There were times when The 165 would have been way too much sail. There were times when the working jib would hardly move us at all. There was one day we sailed around Fishers Island with only the working jib and no main. I suppose we could have done without the 140 but like Goldie Locks, we found that sometimes it was just right. It was always great fun trying to figure out which sail to hank on and a joy when we got it right, Steve.
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Post by winthrop fisher »

Hi...i all was use a 135 on a cdi for the coastal, but the wind was to strong for any thing bigger... winthrop