Cockpit hatch?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Paul Grecay
Lewes, Delaware

Cockpit hatch?

Post by Paul Grecay »

If you have ever wiggled through the lockers and worked on the aft end of the the diesel in a CD 28 you have probably wondered: "What in blazes were they thinking!?". It gets harder every year and one of the problems is that it becomes easier to take an "out of sight, out of mind" attitude toward all the important tasks...water pump, transmission oil, stuffing box, coupling, etc., etc. How about a hatch in the cockpit sole to make the job easier? Imagine the ease of access and the TLC our engines could get? I know, I know....no hole is better than another hole....but hatches have been around a long time and it should be possible to make a safe, sturdy and seaworthy hatch. I learned sailing on a 65' Alden schooner in New haven back in 77 and we had a big old round hatch in the cockpit....(we used to dance on it!) so I KNOW it can be done! .... Anyone thought about this or have any good ideas on the best way to do it? I know I would be happy all the time if I only had a hatch!!
Anthony P. Jeske
FLYING CIRCUS

Cockpit sole hatch

Post by Anthony P. Jeske »

Paul:
Do a search on this site for "Cockpit sole hatch" and you'll find how someone did do just what your looking for. By the way, Pacific Seacraft boats have a nifty cockpit sole hatch. You might want to look at those too, before you begin your project.
Good Lucl,
Tony Jeske
CD28 #365
NO REGRETS
San Diego
Tom in Cambria

cockpit sole hatch

Post by Tom in Cambria »

I put a hatch in the sole of my CD 31. I put in a two inch thick teak sole first so I had some meat to work with and am really glad I did it, but for what you want to do it doesn't help much. The sole is too small to put in a hatch that is big enough a person can crawl through it, and the engine at least on my 31 is not directly under the cockpit sole it's actually under the bridge deck which is quite a bit forward. What the hatch is good for is that it lets in light and fresh air so you don't feel so claustrophobic when you're in the bilge. Also they can hand tools down to you and you can hand things up to a peson in the cockpit and you have good communication. With a flashlight you can see the stuffing box and see if it is dripping by looking through the hatch and things like that, but sa far as crawling down through the hatch and working on the aft end of the engine, it didn't work on my 31. You've got holding tank pump out fittings and hoses running to the cockpit sole in that area, , cables and wires from the pedestal to the engine etc. so you have to reroute some things and the bilge is pretty shallow in that area because the hull is rising to the stern.. It's not as easy as just cutting a hole in the sole and putting a lid on. If you're going to do it, carefully plan and look the area over before you cut the hole. Don't get me wrong, it's worth doing, but you probably won't be able to crawl into it and work on the engine or anything like that. Big boats are great for that very reason, i.e., you have access to the engine and steering mechanism, stuffing box etc. Gentlemen don't go to sea in boats smaller than 60 feet.
Leo CD33

Cockpit Sole Hatch

Post by Leo CD33 »

Hi All,

Mike R. has a round cockpit hatch on S/V LaVida just forward of the helm pedestal. Seeing this proved to me the possibility and spiked my interest in this project. Over the last year or two I have reviewed and collected some info on round vs. rectangular and lift off vs. hinge.

I have crawled thru the hatch and sat aft of the engine to work – it sure beats crawling over the engine :) Mike removed / installed / removed / installed LaVida’s transmission two summers ago via this hatch, but – there is NOT a lot of room. Note that LaVida and Evening Light are CD33s (with wheel steering) – a little more deck area to work.

I seem to remember the hatch as being ~15 - 18 in. Dia. (Mike, do I have that correct?) That is about a small as I can get through with clothing (without getting hung up.) The flange Dia. will be a little larger - you will have to take some measurements of the cockpit sole area. With a tiller a CD28 may very well be doable.

The brands I am looking at are Bomar and Freeman round and oval (leaning toward an oval with a hinge.)

Info;
- Bomar; www.pompanette.com/ , then click on Bomar, then on ‘Commercial - Watertight hatches’. Available at Hamilton Marine; www.hamiltonmarine.com/
- Freeman; www.freemanmarine.com/ then click on hatches.
- Baier; www.baierhatch.com/
- Baywood Inc.; 360-855-0818

Fair Winds,
Leo MacDonald <LeoCD33NOSPAM@sbcglobal.net>
S/V Evening Light
Pine Isl. Bay, Groton, CT
Paul Grecay
Lewes, Delaware

I appreciate your responses

Post by Paul Grecay »

It was good to get your insights on the hatch. I definitely will install a hatch and thank you for the referrals to sources. It will not be a difficult job...and just having the light and ability to have tools handed down will make the whole thing worth it. Thanks again everyone.
Paul
Tod Mills

This skipper is smiling.....

Post by Tod Mills »

[img]http://www.todspages.net/images/LF-smilingskipper.jpg[/img]

Could it be because he is accessing his transmission with the help of his handy-dandy cockpit hatch? Quite possibly!

[img]http://www.todspages.net/images/LF-cockpithatch.jpg[/img]

*certified at 540 pixels in width by the NPWSB :wink:
Tod Mills
Montgomery 17 "BuscaBrisas", Sandusky, OH (with trips elsewhere)
Tartan 26 project boat
Cape Dory admirer
Paul Grecay
Lewes, Delaware

Perfect!!

Post by Paul Grecay »

What a wonderful picture...I am convinced....and that is exactly the hatch I want to get. Can I have it? Or...can you tell me where to get one?? Thanks again!
Paul
Tod Mills

Those are pictures....

Post by Tod Mills »

taken aboard the good ship LaVida. Leo's list of hatches may well include this brand (my money is on the LS Baier's), but Mike would have to tell you for sure.

It worked well, no doubt. I'd have one on my boat if I had to get back there to maintain it.

[img]http://www.todspages.net/images/NF0301-LaVidaTranny.jpg[/img]

*warning: exceeds 540 pixels in width.
Tod Mills
Montgomery 17 "BuscaBrisas", Sandusky, OH (with trips elsewhere)
Tartan 26 project boat
Cape Dory admirer
R. McManus

Sole Hatch for the 28

Post by R. McManus »

I had a Freeman hatch put in the cockpit of my 28, "Cocos", this year. My mechanic is happy, I'm happy, things will be serviced that probably have not seen the hand of man in a long time. You can't crawl into it, but you can reach "it."

Roger McManus
s.v. LaVida
Location: LaVida is a Cape Dory 33, Hull#40 Homeport of Olcott,NY

Is that my bald head on the internet?

Post by s.v. LaVida »

Wow,

Tod, I had forgotten that series of pictures!

First off, I want to again thank Tod Mills, Dick Bartel and Leo for their generous support and companionship during that transmission ordeal in NewFoundland during our 2003 trip out there. A captain couldn't have asked for a better crew!

The hatch installation was one of the best things I've done in LaVida's extensive list of upgrades and refits.

The Baywood aluminum hatch is the 24" model (unfortunately their website isn't working at the moment and I don't have the phone number handy)

The hatch allows my rather large bod to slip into our "engine room" with little fuss and plenty of skin left on my delicate body parts.

This particular four dog, single throw, o ring sealed hatch was overkill. The functional application could have been accomplished with a much lighter and simpler hatch arrangement.

However, I chose the Baywood for its single throw operation, long rep in the commerical fishing industry. It proven to be a great piece of gear and has worked flawlessly over the years.

The real nail bitter was laying out and cutting the hole in a perfectly good cockpit sole, (kinda like jumping out of a perfectly good airplane :roll: ) but once that was accomplished and the edge of the hole was sealed with the West system the remaining installation took only a few minutes.

The installation of the hatch allows me access to all the major engine, steering, seacock, fuel tank and wiring equipment. Without it a number of critical maintenance operations would be difficult. Any major (transmission and engine removals) could not be carried out. And without it, I think I would still be in Port-aux-Basque, NewFoundland trying to figure out a way to change my transmission in and out twice!

In summation, it is a worthy refit that will repay you in many, many ways over the years and really raise your quality of maintenance on your boat.

sea u,
Mike
Dick Barthel

bump for Zeida

Post by Dick Barthel »

includes pics!
Parfait's Provider
berthed Whortonsville, NC

Question re: Engine Access

Post by Parfait's Provider »

The 36 has an engine compartment access panel at the foot of the quarter berth. I have assumed that the other CDs did as well. Is that not the case?

Even at my former all-time high of 230# I can crawl through there, across the compartment, and reach the port side seacock in the bottom of the cockpit locker which also has a removable panel between it and the engine compartment.
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
s.v. LaVida
Location: LaVida is a Cape Dory 33, Hull#40 Homeport of Olcott,NY

access

Post by s.v. LaVida »

Ken,

On my CD33 the only major access is the removeable panel in the port aft sail locker.

You had to empty the locker, then climb in and squirm around to get your eyes and hands in the same place.

LaVida does have a starboard seacock access panel, however its limited by its size.

The hatch has been in the boat for almost ten years now and I wouldn't leave the dock without it.

Happy Holidays !

Mike
Parfait's Provider
berthed Whortonsville, NC

Batteries

Post by Parfait's Provider »

Mike,

My port locker is filled with batteries. I couldn't get down there even if I did fit though the opening. I think your solution is superb, but not absolutely necessary on a 36.
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
Al Levesque

CD33 access

Post by Al Levesque »

The limited access port on the starboard side that Mike mentioned is just large enough in our CD33 to reach a hand through to open or close the starboard cockpit seacock. Just aft of that, where I guess you have an access hatch, is our fuel tank. The tank bars any access from that side. I understand the CD36 tank is forward and therefore not in the way.