CD 25 ramp launchable?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Dave

CD 25 ramp launchable?

Post by Dave »

Hey! I'm considering purchase of one of those rare trailerable CDs that actually mace it to the northwest. What I really need right now is a trailer sailer (as opposed to just putting it in & taking it out twice a year). Is this do-able , or even practical, with the CD 25 or is this a bad idea? I really like the modified full keel idea & the boat is pretty stout. My idea is to do the Puget sound, islands, & eventually work my way up to some "outside" sailing, then move up to a bigger boat. If I can't ramp launch I'll probably have to go with a swing keel. Input needed!
Paul M.

CD-25 Trailerable?

Post by Paul M. »

I own a 79 CD-25 that came with a modified easy loader trailer.
I launch in the spring and retrieve in the fall including raising and lowering the mast. Two of us can do it (usually my son and myself)
in about 2 1/2 to 3 hours. This time does not include tuning the mast or bending on the sails. It is not an easy task and quite frankly if I had to do it more than once a year I would seriously consider purchasing a smaller boat. Probably one with a centerboard.

Paul Mlodzianoski
CD-25 Prudence
tartansailor

You Can Do IT; Easy!

Post by tartansailor »

I have a CD 25 and a Triad trailer with the expandable tongue (10 ft.)
Tow with a big block 2500 Suburban. 65 mph is routine. Launches just like a power boat in a proper (long and deep) launch ramp.
The trailer costs $4800.-The hard part is mast raising and lowering.
Dick
Dave

CD 25 ramp launchable?

Post by Dave »

Boy, you guys are quick! I thought I'd have to wait longer for a response. The boat comes with a regular Dbl axle trailer. It sounds like even with the extendable tongue I would still be spending quit a bit of time rigging. What I really want is a trailer sailer. Sounds like I'd better go with plan B: a Catalina 22. I'll be moving into a larger boat in the not too distant future anyway. I just wanted something a little bigger than my Lido 14 for now. Thanks for the help!
Dave
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

You might want to check out some Nimble boats. If I'm not mistaken they were designed to be trailerable.
jsg46@aol.com

Trailerable 25

Post by jsg46@aol.com »

We have a 25, we modified a traditional sailboat trailer with a cradle, just for the CD25, put it in the water (it does have an extendable tongue), for 30days, then recovered it for Katrina. All from the Deck. If the launch is deep enough, and the trailor made correctly and you have help witht he mast or a raising and lowering system. It's a great boat for a trailer, keel and all! Our launch is deep enough, expecially at high tide, the trailer goes deep enough, and we have a mast raising and lowering system designed and built by Garrette for our use. It works well, and if anyone has seen Mobile Bay you know just how shallow the fool thing is!
gsd46

Re: Trailerable 25

Post by gsd46 »

jsg46@aol.com wrote:We have a 25, we modified a traditional sailboat trailer with a cradle, just for the CD25, put it in the water (it does have an extendable tongue), for 30days, then recovered it for Katrina. All from the Deck. If the launch is deep enough, and the trailor made correctly and you have help witht he mast or a raising and lowering system. It's a great boat for a trailer, keel and all! Our launch is deep enough, expecially at high tide, the trailer goes deep enough, and we have a mast raising and lowering system designed and built by Garrette for our use. It works well, and if anyone has seen Mobile Bay you know just how shallow the fool thing is!
Oops that gsd46, whatthat heck!
DanaVin
Location: Cape Dory 25, "Gladys Erzella", San Diego Bay--1977, Hull #541

Ramp Launch CD25

Post by DanaVin »

I use 40' of heavy truckers chain even though I made a 10' extension bar when we launch our CD25. It does take a couple hours to raise the mast and secure everything properly. I wouldn't call her a trailerable in the real sense of the word. She's about as trailerable as a beached whale. But we manage with our rebuilt trailer designed just for her. Pulling power is a 350 V8 Chevy 3/4 ton, 4x4 (for those slippery ramps).
Getting her in and out of the water is really pretty easy. Raising the mast safely takes some doing. You have to got watch everything so spreaders don't get hung up on anything and bend, lines don't get caught, etc.
If I had to do this several times a month, I wouldn't. I'd get a Potter 19, a Montgomery or a Catalina 22; even a Hunter 25 or is it a 26?. Unless you know what you are doing with those, it can be a big nightmare, also.
We once watched a young couple put their new MacGregor 26 in the water for the first time. Took them longer than three 1/2 hours and then they forgot about the water ballast. The breeze was blowing them around the marina like a leaf!
I retrieve my GE about once a year for maintenance, upgrades and repairs. If I did it more often, I'd really consider a different boat. But she's a solid boat, that's for sure! Even this one sailed down from Alaska. years ago with PO.
I've seen real trailerables get launched and gone in less then 25 to 30 minutes. Just can't do it with a CD25, I'm sorry to say.
On the bright side, I can haul her down to Baja or San Carlos on the mainland, put her in and sail the Sea of Cortez for a mont or so. Lots of trailerables go to the Sea each season.
Hope this helps.
Thanks,
DanaVin
http://svGladysErzella.photosite.com
1977, CD25, #541
San Diego Bay
GeorgeV

Launch Time

Post by GeorgeV »

The biggest issues I have with a trailerable sailboat is the time required to rig her before launching and then packing her up afterwards.

I had a Hunter 23.5 water ballasted centerboard boat and it was great, no more than an hour to rig and launch and the same to knock down and the was by myself, the added benefit of being less then 2,000 lbs to tow was great. Both the Catalina's and the Hunters in this size range should not take much more time to rig and launch nor be too hard to get in and out of the water.

The favorite trailerable that I owned was a Flying Scott... she was a 19' planing centerboard boat, fast and light and a VERY stable. All my sailing on her was on inland lakes and she was very quick and easy to get in and out of the water.

GeorgeV
GeorgeV
s/v: Peace and Quiet
Tayana 37
Essex, CT
http://sailingonisabelle.yolasite.com/
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Re: CD 25 ramp launchable?

Post by winthrop fisher »

Hi Dave... ever one is right, there is two people here in kc area that have a 25 and a 30 and they take them home. it takes a hour or two for them to get ready for the road.... it does not take long...winthrop
Dave wrote:Hey! I'm considering purchase of one of those rare trailerable CDs that actually mace it to the northwest. What I really need right now is a trailer sailer (as opposed to just putting it in & taking it out twice a year). Is this do-able , or even practical, with the CD 25 or is this a bad idea? I really like the modified full keel idea & the boat is pretty stout. My idea is to do the Puget sound, islands, & eventually work my way up to some "outside" sailing, then move up to a bigger boat. If I can't ramp launch I'll probably have to go with a swing keel. Input needed!