Engine Mounts

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Engine Mounts

Post by Guest »

Hi All:

I am about to replace my severely rusted engine mounts and would like to know if anyone has had experience with the PYI R&D mounts. These are about 2 1/2 times more expensive than the Westerbeke replacements.

Are they worth it?

Boyd
s/v TERN
CD30 MkII
Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
Ben Thomas

Motor mounts

Post by Ben Thomas »

Boyd, although I know very little about the mounts from PYI, their other products are pretty good.
I have heard from two friends that have the Westerbeke engines in their boats that Westerbeke has a campaign regarding the mounts from certain engines. If you call the main westerbeke distributor or for that matter the local dealers shoud have recieved the recall information Give them the serial # off your engine to see if you qualify. I believe its the pre-98 engines that have a lighter duty mount that is more prone to fail. They send you replacements for FREE!!
Worth a phone call. Best of luck Ben
Bill Goldsmith

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

Boyd,

When I re-mounted my w21a in Loonsong last year I looked around at other choices including the PYI product. I could not justify the expense. Yes, the Westerbeke mounts are low tech (mild steel, exposed rubber) but the zinc plating and the oil guard just don't seem worth it. I only had one mount that was badly rusted (beneath the seawater pump), the rest were just worn. With the stock Westerbeke mounts I was confident that the holes would line up and that I could get the engine aligned without unforeseen difficulties. I'd say use the stock mounts, just remember to wipe on some rust preventative at oil change time, and make a little oil shield from a piece of the oil bottle.

engine mounts

Post by Guest »

Hi Ben:

Thanks for the lead. So far neither my dealer nor the Westerbeke web site know anything of this recall. Can you give me a specific lead on where to go with this?

Boyd
s/v TERN
CD30MkII
Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
Ben Thomas

mounts

Post by Ben Thomas »

Boyd, I am going down to the marina this weekend I will get the number for you. post it as soon as I get back. Ben
Andy Denmark

Hot galvanizing

Post by Andy Denmark »

I had the front engine mount for the W-13 in Rhiannon hot dip galvanized as the dripping from the old style water pump was causing considerable rusting. The place that did the work is north of Richmond, VA (Ashland, I think). The only problem was they had a 150 pound minimum charge. I ended up scouting around the village and found some CQR anchors, chain, other non-nautical stuff, and had it all done at once. They were very accommodating and their price worked out to about $1.50 per pound.

Certainly there are other galvanizers around that do this. I found these folks in the Richmond yellow pages.
________
NEVADA MARIJUANA DISPENSARY
Last edited by Andy Denmark on Feb 13th, '11, 03:19, edited 1 time in total.
Ben Thomas

Mounts

Post by Ben Thomas »

Boyd, Gave my friend a call. Here is the info.
He talked to Joe Joyce service manager @ westerbeke 41 Ledin Dr. Avon Mass.
T# 508-823-7677 Ext. 241
Again have the serial # off of your engine to see if it qualifies. Best of luck. Ben
keep us posted on what happens.