We'll be at the NY/NJ boatshow at Liberty Landing

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

We'll be at the NY/NJ boatshow at Liberty Landing

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Bruce and I will be attending the NY/NJ boatshow at Liberty Landing in Jersey City, NJ this coming weekend (October 8th). Will anybody else be there?

October 6 - 9, 2005 - New York/New Jersey International Boat Show, Liberty Landing Marina, Jersey City, N.J., (201) 200-9800.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
skairis

New Jersey and Maryland Boat Shows

Post by skairis »

Hi Cathy, Hi Bruce,

While you are there, and if you have time, would you go mining for a few new sponsors for door prizes for our Annual Membership Meeting in Groton, CT on November 5th? I won't be able to get there since the Annapolis Sail Boat Show (at the City Dock) runs from Oct 6-9 also.

I am planning on attending the Annapolis show on Thur. Oct 6. If any of our members will be in Annapolis, they can call me by Wed. if they want to get together. My day will consist of touching base with as many of our annual mtg. sponsors as possible to secure materials and door prizes for this year's Annual Membership Mtg. in Groton, CT on Nov. 5th.

I spoke with Will Keene of Edson International today and will see him at the Boat show on Thur. He has a couple of new lines that are very interesting. He's really looking forward to attending and speaking to our group on Nov. 5 during the General Membership mtg. As a former employee of Cape Dory, responsible for quality assurance, Will has a wealth of knowledge specific to our boats and he shares a great deal about the mfg., construction, and history of Cape Dories. I've heard him speak at a fleet meeting and I can tell you Will's Q&A session is like no other and provides an opportunity no CD owner will want to miss!

Oh, thank you for posting a message about the 'Sail ' Open House between 6 - 7 this Thursday in Annapolis. I'm planning on attending, I'll let you kow how it goes.

Have a great time at the Jersey show and give me a call if there is anything there you think I should see while I'm in Annapolis.

: )
Fair Winds,

Sharon Kairis
Commodore
CDSOA, Inc.

slkairis@hotmail.com
cell:410-340-0011
________
Yamaha Psr-500M History
Last edited by skairis on Feb 13th, '11, 14:04, edited 1 time in total.
Marianna Max

Post by Marianna Max »

I think we'll be there the 8th as well but it isn't firm yet, might be the 9th.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Maybe we could meet somewhere?

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

From the list of exhibitors, it looks like this will be a powerboat show. I thought since there's a Hunter and Sabre dealer right there at Liberty Landing, that I might see Hunter, Sabre or Sandy Hook Yacht Sales on the list, but I saw neither. Schrader Yacht Sales is on the list, so maybe they'll be displaying some of their Island Packets.

Anyway, I probably won't be looking at any boats, but didn't intend to -- just the stuff! Unfortunately they haven't added a list of the tent exhibitors for "stuff" yet to their web site. (I wonder what's taking so long, the boat show is only a few days away!). I'm interested in looking at some refrigeration units this year.

I suppose we could meet at the lightship? Or maybe around lunchtime or something. What's convenient for you if you'd like to get together? I'll wear a Cape Dory (CDSOA) t-shirt and bring my California Cape Dory hat to help you find me.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Maybe we could meet somewhere?

Post by Neil Gordon »

You can recognize me at the boat show since I look somewhat like my picture.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Marianna Max

Post by Marianna Max »

We'll look for you Cathy around noon. Is there a food tent or somewhere like that?
s.v. LaVida
Location: LaVida is a Cape Dory 33, Hull#40 Homeport of Olcott,NY

Meeting at the Annapolis Boat Show

Post by s.v. LaVida »

The Great Lakes contingent will arrive at the Annapolis Boat Show on Saturday and leave late Sunday afternoon.

Perhaps a get together somewhere Sunday morning or lunch?

Hope to see you there.

Mike
Great Lakes Fleet Captain
Bob Ohler

I'll be the one with the CDSOA hat and the BIG smile!

Post by Bob Ohler »

See ya'll in Annapolis on Thursday 10/6 and Sunday 10/9.
Cathy Monaghan

Getting together at Liberty Landing

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Marianna and Neil,
Marianna Max wrote:We'll look for you Cathy around noon. Is there a food tent or somewhere like that?
The boat show takes place at Liberty Landing Marina which is in Liberty State Park in Jersey City. If you've never been there, there's a lightship floating right there at the marina. You can't miss it and it's probably the best place to try to meet. There are also two restaurants there (one's in the lightship) and there'll be a food court, probably in one of the tents, for the show.

By the way, if you get tired of the boat show, take advantage of the location and visit the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island which are accessible via ferry from the park -- no need to go into NY to get to these wonderful historic landmarks and the summer crowds are gone.

If you're wondering about the lightship, before serving hungry guests at the marina, she was the "Relief" (LV 107 / WAL 529). When she was first commissioned she was the "Cape Lookout" and then the "Winter Quarter". There are a couple of other lightships nearby. You'll find the "Ambrose" across the harbor at South Street Seaportin NYC; and the "Nantucket" is in Oyster Bay, NY awaiting the completion of the National Lighthouse Museum & Research Center on Staten Island, NY.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Marianna Max

Post by Marianna Max »

Cathy, we are thinking now of going on Friday because the heaviest rain day is predicted for Saturday.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Just back from the show - report

Post by Neil Gordon »

Cathy Monaghan wrote:From the list of exhibitors, it looks like this will be a powerboat show... Anyway, I probably won't be looking at any boats, but didn't intend to -- just the stuff!
It's overwhelmingly a powerboat show. Two Beneteaus and a Hunter was the total sail contingent. None of the three was particularly special.

As for stuff, there wasn't any, which surprised me. No electronics dealers, no accessories, no sail makers, no gadgets, no gizmos... a couple of booths selling time shares, one selling hot tubs, one giving massages, motorcycles, insurance, etc., but not much boating related.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Cathy Monaghan

What a disappoinment...

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Hi Neil,

Well, that's a disappointment and not worth our time. I hope you didn't have to drive too far to find that out.

Thanks,
Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Neil Gordon

Re: What a disappoinment...

Post by Neil Gordon »

Cathy Monaghan wrote:Hi Neil,

Well, that's a disappointment and not worth our time. I hope you didn't have to drive too far to find that out.

Thanks,
Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
It wasn't that long a drive and it was an okay afternoon out. We did wander through some of the powerboats. Nice to reaffirm that I'm happier with a '77 Cape Dory 28 worth in the $20,000 range than I would be with the $1 million super yacht we saw. (That one did come with a $5,000 prepaid gas card though.)
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698