I'm need a boat and advice.

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

newbie guest

I'm need a boat and advice.

Post by newbie guest »

I have been lurking on this site and hull kicking for over a month now in a search of a cd25 or similar boat. I am new to sailing thus reticent about making a buying decision prior to building a knowledge base of seaworthy craft. I live in Norfolk area so if you have a cd25 for sale within driving distance let me know. I prefer a cd25 but will consider any similar seaworthy craft tolerant of newbie snafus. Now to my question for you experts. I inspected a 26 ft international folkboat on Saturday and found a previous softdeck “professionally” repaired by drilling ¼” holes and injecting epoxy resin. This type of repair left the deck with a look reminiscent of a smallpox survivor. Is this methodology “legitimate” in rebuilding the long term inherent strength of the deck. Other than this defect I’m not sure that I would like to live with the traveler sitting in the middle of the cockpit rather than behind the cockpit as in the cd25.

BTW if you do a search of folkboat + wildfire you can see a good picture of this boat when owned by the PO.

Thanks,
Rich Collins
USN retired
:roll:
Didereaux

Rich, quick response and other....

Post by Didereaux »

The quick answer to our question is: Yes, it is an accepted method of dealing with soft core problems...!

Now for the longer version, it works with SOME soft core problems, and ONLY when done in a thorough competent manner.

Suggestion (and this will save you bucks) get it surveyed, if still in doubt forget it, there are just too many sound boats available at decent prices if you do not have the time, money or skills for a project boat.

g'Luk
Didereaux- San Leon, TX
last owner of CD-25 #183 "Spring Gail"
"I do not attempt to make leopards change their spots...after I have skinned them, they are free to grow 'em back or not, as they see fit!" Didereaux 2007
Ed Norton

CD 25 For Sale

Post by Ed Norton »

FOR SALE
CAPE DORY 25

1980 Cape Dory 25 Hull # 745 (CPDE0745M80E)
I purchased the boat in May 1986.
Boat is in excellent shape
Bronze opening portholes
All teak in excellent shape, New Teak hatch boards
Stored indoors in winter
Mast replaced spring of 1987, to include all new turnbuckles on running rigging.
Sea Ranger VHF
Datamarine S-2000 Depth Sounder
Main with double reef points, and cover, excellent condition
Hank on head sails, Genoa and Jib Excellent condition
Spinnaker. No spinnaker pole
Steel cradle
New Halyards, topping lift 2003
Porta pottie
Anchor and rode
Fire Extinguisher
Flares
Mariner 8 HP outboard
2 - 6 gallon steel fuel tanks
New battery 2002
Bottomsider cockpit cushions (3)
Interior cushion slip covers
Porthole curtains
On the hard in Bayonne, N.J. Available for inspection any time
Asking $8,800.00

Russell Skinner

Boat search

Post by Russell Skinner »

I'm a happy CD30 owner, but also a Bristol 24 owner, which has a diesel engine and is in good shape. Sitting in Deltaville, VA. Asking $7,000. It's full keel, built like a tank and would be a very forgiving first boat.
Bill Goldsmith

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

To echo Didereaux's comments, the drill and fill method can work if done properly. Properly means not only repairing the core, but finishing the project down to a good paint or gelcoat job. The fact that this one was not finished certainly raises questions as to any other home-brewed repairs that may have been done.