Help!! My bilge is full, How do I empty it?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

RichMason
Washington, NC (McCotter's Marina)

Where are you located Hymodyne?

Post by RichMason »

You might want to add the location of your boat to your signature/profile/avatar. I have seen many offers of assistance in person in exchange for frosty libations. Do not be deterred by Mr. Frederick's negativity as he does not represent the rest of the unwashed CD masses who frequent this board to both learn and support. I think my first post concerned my battens that kept flying out when I raised the mainsail (ahhh little pockets sewn into the sail hold them in). If the sea belonged only to those who knew everything before they stepped off the dock, Mr. Fredericks would be awfully lonely out there by himself.
Rich Mason
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: MORE DRIbble ON A SLOW SUNDAY NIGHT

Post by Neil Gordon »

Oswego John wrote:I don't know how to report without it sounding like more stupid dribble.
There's nothing stupid about it, OJ. Your drivel is always of the highest intellectual quality.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

NOW I'M REALLY CONFUSED

Post by Oswego John »

Neil,

There you went and did it to me again. What is propah, DRIVEL or DRIBBLE?

I wonder if Marc, up on Lake Champlain knows how to say drivle/dribble in French?

There are a few others that I definitely WON'T ask. They'll tell me that it is something that a horse does out in the pasture.

Ah, to drivel or to dribble, that is the question. I wonder what The Bard would say?

I feel a worry headache coming on.

O J :D
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Drivel vs. Dribble

Post by Neil Gordon »

Drivel:
To slobber; drool.
To flow like spittle or saliva.

Dribble:
To let saliva drip from the mouth; drool.

Both words are available in noun and verb form.

Thanks again to dictionary.com.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
neil
Cape Dory 25, hull # 253
Key West, The Conch Republic.

Post by neil »

Bloody hell....
was this about bilge water?

what the heck was I reading?

um.....
}=-(-_-)-={
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

BILGE WATER

Post by Oswego John »

Neil
(the other one from the Conch Republic)

Yup, that was what it was about. A newbie bought an older boat and asked the board a question. A disgruntled (newbie) reader rebuffed the poster and also those who responded to him.

On a usually slow Sunday evening, I'm afraid that the complainer triggered something in the other Neil, (a veteran sailor with barnacles on his you-know-what) and myself. He sort of pushed the button that started us sending ripostes back and forth like youngsters. "A kind word soothes the troubled mind."

No harm done, just a lot of dribble/drivel/drivle/whatever. Yes, it was a lot of bilge water about bilge water.

Hey Neil, how do you say drivel in Conchese?

Take care,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
neil
Cape Dory 25, hull # 253

Post by neil »

Its not so much how you say it but how far it goes and what it hits....
and how much trouble you get in!

GRIN!
}=-(-_-)-={
neil
Cape Dory 25, hull # 253

Post by neil »

Marianna Max wrote:Hey, in the interest of lemons to lemonade, at least you know your boat will float once you get it on the water (since the water isn't leaking out <g>).

HAHA!
Thats a great way of looking at it!
if it holds it it will also keep it out...

GRIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
}=-(-_-)-={
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Hi Dick read this, first

Post by winthrop fisher »

hi dick... :?

speaking for my self and ever one thats has a boat you had to start some where right ???

well how else are you going to learn, right ???

were you born sailing, or what ???

i can't help thinking,
why would you say any thing at all,
if you did not like the bilge talk, right ???

i don't all was answer all of them, why would you ???

and i hate saying this, ever one else is right.

if you think about it you should under stand, why...

just my two cents worth, right. ???

stay on the board and don't take it personal...

thats the way this board can be some times, just let it go, right ???

winthrop

Dick Fredricks wrote:Dear All:

I had thought that this was, more or less, a serious site until I read the dribble posted here.

If the original poster doesn't know how to get the water out of his bilge when his boat is on dry land, he shouldn't ever be on the water. Worse, are those who responded to this stupidity.

Get real or get off this site.
hymodyne!

bilge question

Post by hymodyne! »

Hello,

Thank you to all of the CD board members who replied to my post. I have a manual bilge pump which workd fine for the amount of water I had had put down there.

I also downloaded the manual for my boat and will study it closely so as to minimize the excessively purile questions that otherwise might issue forth from my "newbie" mouth. It will be at least a full year before this boat sees the water, so unfortunatlely, some of my questions of might test the sensibilities of those who post and know all already.

as for the exasperated reply to my post that started this tangent, thank you as well, for reminding me that people are people; on land, sea, or the internet, and must be taken as individuals.

She's already a beautiful boat, and I plan to put all of my skill into making her once again seaworthy.

y'all be cool,

Hymodyne
Neil Gordon

Re: bilge question

Post by Neil Gordon »

hymodyne! wrote:... my questions might test the sensibilities of those who post and know all already.
Many of us actually prefer the easy, basic questions, as they makes us appear somewhat knowledgeable.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
neil
Cape Dory 25, hull # 253

Post by neil »

Neil Gordon wrote: Many of us actually prefer the easy, basic questions, as they makes us appear somewhat knowledgeable.
How come?

(is that basic enough? GRIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
}=-(-_-)-={
Neil Gordon

Post by Neil Gordon »

neil wrote:How come?
Because.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Marc Theriault

There is no stupid question but it had stupid answer...

Post by Marc Theriault »

There is no stupid question but it had stupid answer...Is it drivel?

Hymodyne don't ever hesitate for asking anything in relation with your CD, you will receive a lot of valuable info, discard the bads answers, it's rare but it happen.

One of my first post was about what to do when you are over power when sailing downwind, one of the replies that i got was take a beer. At the moment i felt stupid but it did'nt take longtime that i received a good way to manage it and i could add that the guy who told me what to do made me a better sailor. Today i could take the beer but in my case i'm a canadian sailing in the US and i don't want to risk the chance that i got. Around here there are Border Patrol, Sherrif Patrol i don't want to mess with them.

O J, Drivel mean "Etre baveux".

Marc
Neil Gordon

Re: There is no stupid question but it had stupid answer...

Post by Neil Gordon »

Marc Theriault wrote:Is it drivel?
Too much drivel and/or dribble, in the bilge, is what started this thread in the first place. <g>
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698