I am in the middle of a hurricane!

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

neil
Cape Dory 25, hull # 253
Key West, The Conch Republic.

I am in the middle of a hurricane!

Post by neil »

The weather here is stunning!
We have 65 mph wind, much higher gusts, vast amounts of rain and I have seen 2 tornados.....
The weather channel people and the NOAA stuff at the airport dont seem to be getting the full impact, at my work I watched a coconut fall off a 15 foot high tree and go up instead of down!
I am very worryed about my boat, its on a mooring next to Flemming Key.
We had almost no warning about this storm and the warnings we did get were DEAD WRONG, it dident hit Fort Lauderdale and go north, it hit Miami and dipped south.
Very interesting storm, it dosent seem even remotely interested in being predicted!

Cheers!
Neil
}=-(-_-)-={
neil
Cape Dory 25, hull # 253

Post by neil »

}=-(-_-)-={
Bill Goldsmith

Hang in there!

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

Here's a picture of what you are in right now:

http://radar.weather.gov/radar/latest/D ... kbyx.shtml

It looks like Key West is right in the thick of it.

Us yankees, I'm sure, are all thinking about our S. Florida and Gulf Coast friends. I hope you have good antichafe on your mooring lines. Let us know how things go.
neil
Cape Dory 25, hull # 253

Post by neil »

Back on the air here, power died....
Thanks Bill, I think the chafing stuff should be fine, what I am worryed about is the waves, the wind is blowing from the SW. and S. and stacking up 7 footers right into the mooring area... mostly I am worryed about someone elses boat breaking loose and hitting mine.

The wind here is being underestimated it at at least 70mph, and gusting higher.
We have blinding rain almost constantly and things are flying about in the wind, sevral things have bounced off the house.

Oh what fun....

Cheers!
Neil
}=-(-_-)-={
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

Neil,
She's a tough boat. She'll make it. Like you say...gotta' hope those other boats upwind don't break free of their moorings!

Keep you head down at home too!
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
rtbates

I was watching the weather channel and

Post by rtbates »

Noticed that the rain bands are just running one right after the other over Key West.
Best wishes for you and your CD25.

Randy 25D Seraph #161
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: I am in the middle of a hurricane!

Post by Neil Gordon »

If you could stay in the middle of the hurricane, that would be good. It's great weather in the middle.

Worry not about your boat. We had sustained 50+ knot winds in New England in the spring... I survived quite nicely in a slip and there were pictures of a typhoon that lived though it on a mooring. The boat can take it as long as the gear (yours or someone else's) holding it the the earth doesn't fail
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Zeida Cecilia-Mendez

Hurricane

Post by Zeida Cecilia-Mendez »

Neil... Here from Miami, I can tell you that last night was extremely frightening. We were warned about a possible 60-70 mph tropical storm coming, and if anything, a Cat. 1 Hurricane, and on the TV the forecasters were saying it was not necessary to put up storm shutters on the homes... Katrina was supposed to make landfall up north by Deerfield Beach and up to 3 pm, all the news crews were located there at the beach, trying to be the first to report the upcoming storm... We now know better. The darned thing turned south and came straight to us in Miami. I had prepared Bandolera (my CD-33) which is at Crandon Marina in Key Biscayne for a possible Tropical Storm with higher gusts, but never did the complete full-out hurricane preps!

We do have floating docks, and she was very well tied up to her slip, bimini folded and tied to the back stay, dodger left standing, Cruisair A/C left in place on deck just lashed down, Honda generator left on deck, just tied down, sails left on, just tied down. I have a separate set of storm lines, all marked, and have a routine all ready to go. But this time I only did about half of what I would normally do for a real blow.

Then yesterday at about 4 pm we started getting blasts that were much stronger than the predicted 60 to 70 mph... and I started getting concerned. I put up shutters at my home at 6 pm, thank God, so no problem there and at about 7 pm it started to really blow... it got much worse at about 10 pm. We were getting winds of 80 to 90 with higher gusts! My whole house was shaking! I was livid with how wrong the forcast had been. It seems they made the same mistakes as last year with Charley, when it was supposed to go to Tampa, and ended up in Punta Gorda!

It is now 4 pm the day after and I have not seen the boat yet, the roads are too floded and I don't dare to drive to the marina... But at 9 am this morning, a friend from another boat who did make it to the marina called to say Bandolera was fine, as well as my dinghy, which survived even with her cover on! Some other boats in our marina sank. Mostly the ones on the moorings, but these were because the owners do not really tie them down properly. Our anchorage has very heavy duty helix anchors put in place AFTER Andrew, but still some people ignore their boats! I am very anxious to get to the boat and be there myself, but common sense is making me wait until tomorrow. In the meantime, I see on the TV the darned thing is still giving Key West a real rough time. I will be praying for your baby. Let us know how she made out!
Zeida
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Bandolero II Okay

Post by Warren Kaplan »

Zeida,

Glad Bandolero made it through okay. 33s are strong boats and can take it if tended to correctly.

When you finally get to the marina, please let us (me) know how Dick Feffer's boat did. Hopefully his PS 34 faired as well as your boat did.
neil
Cape Dory 25, hull # 253

Post by neil »

Zeida,
Very glad to here about your boat being ok!

Its still blowing like stink (65-70 mph) here and raining like mad, I guess I will have to wait till tomorow to find out whats up...
The eye is now grinding the Dry Tortugas into paste and is about 60-70 miles west of us.
almost all roads are flooded to some extent and Finigans Wake, a great Irish pub that is always open durring storms is unreachable due to flooding, I am guessing, but I would say its waist deep in there.

Listening to the VHF is depressing, people are having a very bad time out there and in at least on case the Coast Guard hasent been able to help: a guy called them and said that his boat was heeling over a lot and could they come and get his wife and dogs, they asked him to keep them advised of his situation.... which he had just done, I havent heard from him since.
The Coastys have their work cut out for them today, we had no real warning about this and the anchorage and mooring fields have hundreds and hundreds of liveaboad people.
There was no evacuation and there are tourists wandering around everywhere and getting nice and drunk.

All in all its been an interesting event, even if there had been an evacution it would have come too late.

If this was a cat 3 there is a very good chance that thousands of people woud have died, if it was a cat 4 or above we would have been wiped off the face of the earth: no houses, no trees, no people or animals.

We are some VERY lucky people down here!

Cheers!
Neil
}=-(-_-)-={
Zeida Cecilia-Mendez

Warren, "Green Ayes" is OK!

Post by Zeida Cecilia-Mendez »

Finally got to the marina yesterday, and found my "Bandolera" just the way I left her, i.e. FINE! HOWEVER, lessons learned: never again prepare half-way for a hurricane, or tropical storm. Go all the way in your preparations. There were MANY tragic outcomes in our marina, all terrifying to see. Seven roller furler genoas ripped to shreds, one big ketch sunk in her slip, three big Hunters cut loose from their moorings and crashed into the seawall and two more against the first row of boats in the outer No. 1 pier... I am on No. 2 pier, and our entire pier came out fine!.

The lines securing my fenders to the boat were so twisted and flattened and overly stretched, I was surprised. The line to the rollerfurler drum was almost chafed through as it passed through the first stanchion block. If this line had let go, I would have also lost my genny, it would have unfurled and shredded, even though I had wrapped many turns as far up as I could reach, with extra lines. The genny sheets, which I had tied tight to the winches had sagged all the way to the deck!!!!!! Which tells me that this sail got roughed up by the wind, so next time, off she comes.

My dodger, which had remained in place, was fine. Bimini had been folded back and secured to the back stay, did fine. Mainsail inside the Doyle Stackpack did fine, although I had secured it with additional line all around the length.

Neil, I know the terrible battering Key West has suffered. We were all watching, suffering for you guys. How did you come out?

Warren, Richard Feffer's boat is three boats down from me, and it also did just fine, like the rest of the boats in our pier. I did have at least six gallons of water in the bilge, from the rain that comes down through the mast, even though God knows I've tried so many ways to block this, it still seeps through... it also comes in somehow from the stern cowl vents, it seems to me, even though of course, I remove the vents and close up the openings, water still comes. But basically, the boat was just fine. Yesterday at the marina, I put her back together, but have left my storm lines in place, for this season is still not over for us. Many of the boats that suffered damage had OLD LINES that broke off! My storm lines, with their chafing gear in place, live in the dock box, away from the UV rays, which helps ruin them, and only come out when needed. Mine are brand new New England 5/8: 3-strand Premium Nylon, very easy to handle and excellent as far as I could experience.

Now lets pray this thing does not hit New Orleans directly. That will be a major national disaster.
Zeida
neil
Cape Dory 25, hull # 253

Post by neil »

HA!
ELECTRICITY AT LAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!@#$ its hot!!!
Thanks everyone for all the encouragement, you guys are great!
My boat is ok! My bimini is a ball of blue fluff with zippers sticking out and my waterproof charts got wet again but my boat is fine!
YIPPEE!!!!!
Others were not so lucky, hundreds and hundreds of people lost their boats, and everything they own..... its horrible out there, I am one of the lucky 10%

Anyone following this storm? its gotten FAR FAR WORSE....
Its a category 5 now, with 175mph wind gusting to 220.

Good luck to everyone in the path of this monster, she's quite horrifying.
}=-(-_-)-={
neil
Cape Dory 25, hull # 253

Re: Warren, "Green Ayes" is OK!

Post by neil »

Zeida Cecilia-Mendez wrote:
Neil, I know the terrible battering Key West has suffered. We were all watching, suffering for you guys. How did you come out?
Sorry, you posted while I was still typing!
Everythings great, and I am thrilled to hear about your boat being ok!

Cheers!
Neil
}=-(-_-)-={
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

I Am In The Middle Of A Hurricane

Post by Oswego John »

Zeida and Neil,

I think that all the readers are so relieved that you and your boats came through the storm with just minor problems, especially yourselves personally. I did hear of several deaths due to the storm, two of them were while riding out the blow on their boats.

We haven't heard much about the storm's effect on the boat owners who are on the Gulf coast. I hope and pray that they were just grazed by the perimeter as the storm strengthened and is proceeding northward up the Gulf of Mexico.

It certainly looks grim for the New Orleans vicinity of the Gulf states.

Stay safe,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Warren Kaplan

Bandolero II and Green Ayes

Post by Warren Kaplan »

Zeida,

I'm so glad that both boats came through the malestrom relatively unscathed. :D

Although I would never say that a boat owner was lucky to be hit by a hurricane, any hurricane, I guess if you had to be hit by Katrina you were lucky to get hit by her when you did. I shutter to think about the boats that are gonna' be hit by this Category 5 behemoth. :cry: