Events and Planning Discussion Board for Members

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Pete

Events and Planning Discussion Board for Members

Post by Pete »

I would like to float an idea to the CDSOA Board? How about creating a members only (meaning you must be a registered CDSOA member), discussion group for the sole topic of scheduling, announcing, and even planning CD-Events (like cruises).

Why not the events page?
I like the "events", page when things are current. What happens when the event is pulled down? Its a shame to remove them after an event (yet, we need to have some way of keeping the event pages clean.) But once pulled down, the information contained is lost (unless you know who to email to get an old copy!) Lastly, to get an event posted today, you have to find the right person. Using the discussion board would open this up.

Why not the general board?
The general site is so busy with so many postings, that I would be afraid of them getting buried. In many respects, the reason for separate topic based threads--is what our new tool allows. The general discussion is just that, wide open (both to members and non). Having a single topic thread around Events and Planning would by is use, create a historical (and current) view of CD Events.

Why members only?
Simple, there is an increase in spam (junk) [and off topic] postings in the general site. Having an event site limited to Members--would (I hope) keep the extra noise to a minium. I also feel it would benefit all by having a working place where we (as members) could post information about an upcoming trip, places to stop (or not), etc., all under the umbrella of an Event entry. It might also allow for folks to feel more comfortable posting contact information. We still can cross post to the general site the "Announcement", if need be.

In summary
I don't know if this is the right tool, or not. However (or whatever we use) creating a place where we can do event announcements and planning is needed. Having a place where we can keep a record of not only the announcement, but minutes, photos, etc. all about an event--would create a great historical view too.

Thank you for your time,

:-)

Pete
Last edited by Pete on Aug 19th, '05, 08:23, edited 1 time in total.
Didereaux

....probably not

Post by Didereaux »

Considering the low percentage of Cape Dory owners who actually belong to CDSOA, and considering that restricting even further the access to events information and such from potential members would obviously turn away even the few new owners who might join...well I think the teensy possibility of a weensy bit of inconvenience on the parts of a few aren't worth the risk.

IMHO, of course,
Didereaux- San Leon, TX
last owner of CD-25 #183 "Spring Gail"
"I do not attempt to make leopards change their spots...after I have skinned them, they are free to grow 'em back or not, as they see fit!" Didereaux 2007
Bob Ohler

Why Not join the CDSOA?

Post by Bob Ohler »

Did you know that at $40 per year, the CDSOA is the least expensive item that you will buy for your boat all year?

Did you know that the $40 is more than offset by the discounts and benefits provide to memebers?

Did you know that it is the CDSOA dues that pay for this board?

(I would feel guilty if I did not belong to the CDSOA and still used this board!) The application is available here on line.

Bob Ohler
Didereaux

Bob, you missed the point...

Post by Didereaux »

Yes, the CDSOA is a bargain, no question. But the POINT was if you hide such things as events from new owners(browsers of this site) what incentive is there to plunking down any money at all? Are they supposed to guess that there are fun events? TAhings to see and do with other CD owners?

If you want secret handshakes and such then fine, but this is an OPEN organiztion actively trying to expand, secrecy flies in the face of such a goal.
Didereaux- San Leon, TX
"I do not attempt to make leopards change their spots...after I have skinned them, they are free to grow 'em back or not, as they see fit!" Didereaux 2007
Bob Ohler

Post by Bob Ohler »

You missed point too, obviously.

I think I'll just go back to watching E Bay when I have time to surf (and that's hardly ever).

Bob
Andy Denmark

Register on the BBS

Post by Andy Denmark »

I am an advocate of requiring some sort of commitment to an exclusive BBS section that would cut out the majority of spammers and junk mailers. While joining the CDSOA and spending $40 might deter some folks, certainly registering on the BBS would not be too much to ask. I cannot understand why a past or present Cape Dory owner (or any other seriously interested boater) would be reluctant to register on our BBS. Aside from being "free" our BBS provides the opportunity for all posters to make contact outside the public forum (email or PM) when the information is best not shared with the general population..

I think this is exactly the reason that posters who seem to enjoy hitting the vast majority of us with junk postings and spam seem to thrive here, i.e., "elbows wychulis" to name one of several. They hide behind the "guest" status. There is no way, short of publicly posting, to get back to these people privately: to do so gives them the attention they want in the general forum. In its present format there is no way to keep these (usually) irrelevant postings and rants off the board. Ignoring/not replying works to some degree but it doesn't stop future postings.

An exclusive "Registrants Only" section would help cut out the people who get their kicks bothering the rest of us with off-topic postings. Additionally, such an exclusive section would make it easier for the Webmasters to spot those who would (almost guaranteed) continue to try and bug us and then to block them.

It's all about self-policing as there isn't a legal way to stop the spammers and ranters.

I would also support a "Suppliers Section" where manufacturers or service providers could advertise to outside the general forum. Some of the places that come to mind would include Bristol Bronze, New Glass, Spartan, Betamarine, et al. Anyone interested in bringing his product or service to an exclusive audience could advertise in an exclusive section on our BBS.

Just a few thoughts to add into the mix. :roll:
________
Buy Vapolution
Last edited by Andy Denmark on Feb 13th, '11, 03:19, edited 1 time in total.
yves feder w1ux
S/V "ALPHEE" (44) Sabre34 Mark II #282 (1986) Stonyngtonne, CT

Post by yves feder w1ux »

Speaking as a past CD owner (CD27 #4), I decided to keep up my membership in CDSOA precisely because this board is such an extraordinary resource.

The other day at the boatyard I heard a complete stranger - not even a CD owner - say he considered the CD board the best sailing resource on the internet. I told him that even though I no longer own a CD, I still support it for that very reason!

I tend to do a lot of my sailing in non-group situations - so I don't make many of the get-togethers, but believe me the contents of this BBS are very valuable indeed and I refer to them often. I've also noticed how many CD's I see out there on the water that I don't recognize from the CDSOA group. So there's perhaps the very reason for keeping things "open" so that events can be seen by all. Perhaps a newcomer will appreciate the friendship and join in!

I do think however as I think Bob mentioned, that registration is valuable and should be encouraged. I'm happy to keep supporting the Board with my dues, and hope any CD owners, or sailors with an interest in matters Cape Dory/Alberg/and so on, will enjoy the open nature of this board, come on in and register, and help support things with dues. It's really worth it.

Best,
Yves
ex-CD-27 (4) 1977
S/V "Alphee" (44) Sabre 34 Mk II #282 (1986)
Stonington, CT
"Heisenberg May Have Slept Here"
Pete

Discussion Board Open/Closed, set aside for a minute...

Post by Pete »

Sure, its clear there needs to be some "discussion" and "decision" around an open or closed area (fine.) Maybe an item for the CDSOA Board to discuss?

A good question is raised, just how many folks are, "registered"? Can our Web-managers help answer that?

In the mean time, open or closed aside, what about the general issue of having a separate threaded index (outside of the general board topic space) for events and planning?

Comments?

:-)

P
Didereaux

Ahhhh, now that sounds good

Post by Didereaux »

Pete,
The permanent seperate thread or even forum for planning etc, in order to keep such things from getting mixed up into general traffic sounds like a good idea...

Now as to the requiements for participation, for the reasons stated in my previous post I oppose a mandatory MEMBERSHIP in CDSOA in order to read or post. However registration with an authenticated email address as a prerequisite for posting is a widely accepted and practiced thing on most boards.

Would just add for general interest a post script to my previous postings against a paid members only board... having gleaned a large amount of very valuable information from this board I would note that proabably half of it was from non-CDSOA members it would appear. I think that is too valuable a resource to chuck in the byte dumpster.
Didereaux- San Leon, TX
Shanna Paxton
Located in Saint Michaels, MD

separate sections

Post by Shanna Paxton »

I agree with those who think that the increasing spam is becoming a real problem. This was a conversation that we had at our Carolina's get together last weekend. My sugesstion was that in order to post you should have to be a registered user. If a spammer has to take the time to create a user id than perhaps they will go elsewhere.

I do like the idea of seperate sections as it organizes some of the threads. If you will, take a look at this link for the C-Dory boat owners (who my father is active with) They have they same format, but have different sections. http://www.c-brats.com/index.php
Shanna Paxton
CD 30 MK II Hull#17
bobdugan

Re: Discussion Board Open/Closed, set aside for a minute...

Post by bobdugan »

Pete wrote:
A good question is raised, just how many folks are, "registered"? Can our Web-managers help answer that?
According to the board's home page there are a little over 700 registered users.

Bob
Bob Dugan - Assistant Webmaster
Pacific Seacraft 34: Emerald || CD 25D: Cricket (former owner)
Jubilee Yacht Club Beverly, MA in the Spring/Fall and Bustins Island, ME in the Summer
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

Having to be registered to post concerns me ...if for only one reason. When I was looking for my CD27 back in 2000, I came to this board and put up a "want ad" post. If I had to go through an entire registration procedure just to do that, I may not have done that.

For those looking to sell their boat, but who have, at the time, not yet listed the boat, some prospective buyers might just bypass the site and not put up the want ad.

I would like to keep it easy to use this board. I think the benefits outweigh the discomfort of having to suffer spamers now and then. We've done pretty well so far and in some ways I believe in the old adage if it ain't broke don't fix it! :)
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Bob Ohler

Post by Bob Ohler »

I've had to register for everything from John Deere discussions to Ford pick-up trucks to phone bills, etc. Personnally, I don't care whether users of this board register or not. Any Cape Dory owner who uses this board and is not a CDSOA member is failing to see that one of the benefits of membership is that this discussion forum is adding to the value of their boats. That alone is worth investing in CDSOA Membership and the support of this board.
John Vigor

No fair to scold

Post by John Vigor »

Bob Ohler wrote:Any Cape Dory owner who uses this board and is not a CDSOA member is failing to see that one of the benefits of membership is that this discussion forum is adding to the value of their boats.
Bob, I am a Cape Dory owner who uses this board, and I am not a member of the CDSOA. I do not, however, fail to see that one of the benefits of membership is that this discussion forum is adding to the value of their boats. I understand that very well.

Perhaps, though, you are failing to see that "permanent guests" like me also make a substantial contribution to this board and the value of Cape Dories. Valuable expertise and experience is surely not the sole preserve of paid-up members of the CDSOA. It would be quite wrong to assume that CDSOA members are doing all the giving, and that your freeloading "guests" are doing all the taking.

I have a good reason for not joining the CDSOA, but that's not the point. The fact is that under your own rules anyone can take part in this forum, and until that changes it's unfair to scold those who choose not to join.

John Vigor
CD27 "Sangoma"
Bellingham, WA

[/quote]
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Re: No fair to scold

Post by winthrop fisher »

Hi,
if it works for this board,
why makes changes.
it is just fine the way it is.
LEAVE IT ALONE
just my two cents
winthrop

p.s. well said john

John Vigor wrote:
Bob Ohler wrote:Any Cape Dory owner who uses this board and is not a CDSOA member is failing to see that one of the benefits of membership is that this discussion forum is adding to the value of their boats.
Bob, I am a Cape Dory owner who uses this board, and I am not a member of the CDSOA. I do not, however, fail to see that one of the benefits of membership is that this discussion forum is adding to the value of their boats. I understand that very well.

Perhaps, though, you are failing to see that "permanent guests" like me also make a substantial contribution to this board and the value of Cape Dories. Valuable expertise and experience is surely not the sole preserve of paid-up members of the CDSOA. It would be quite wrong to assume that CDSOA members are doing all the giving, and that your freeloading "guests" are doing all the taking.

I have a good reason for not joining the CDSOA, but that's not the point. The fact is that under your own rules anyone can take part in this forum, and until that changes it's unfair to scold those who choose not to join.

John Vigor
CD27 "Sangoma"
Bellingham, WA
[/quote]