Typhoon vs. Bristol 19

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

NedsPoint

Typhoon vs. Bristol 19

Post by NedsPoint »

Hi - I am seriously contemplating adding a sailboat to my fleet (stinkpots). I have always been a sailing fan, but my family has not. I owned a CD25 several years ago and loved it, but the family did not.

Anyway, I am looking for a sturdy day sailer with accomodations for the Ms, to get out of the wind and perform necessary functions. I am looking at Bristol 19s (Sailstar Corinthians) and Typhoons.

I have sailed the Bristols when I was a kid and loved them. I have never sailed a Typhoon. Has anybody sailed both or can you offer any comparisons?

Thanks
neil
Cape Dory 25, hull # 253
Key West, The Conch Republic.

Post by neil »

If you loved the Bristol, then I have to say yes to both, Typhoons are GREAT boats.

Cheers
}=-(-_-)-={
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Re: Typhoon vs. Bristol 19

Post by winthrop fisher »

Hi...

well i look at one a few years ago to restore.
they are a little biger boats;
they are 6'" longer and 6" wider and have 200 more in wt,
they are faster in speed and there are not many around as the typhoon.
they have more extras and alot of head room then the typhoon,
i think they put more design in to there boat for a 19 footer.
and there is two different models like the typhoon day sailor and weekender,
when you look the weekender has alot shorter cockpit then the day sailor.
if you go with the bristol 19 they have there site as well.
both boats are easly to sail and puting up the mast is about the same.
you will like both boats in ever way.
hope this helps.
winthrop

NedsPoint wrote:Hi - I am seriously contemplating adding a sailboat to my fleet (stinkpots). I have always been a sailing fan, but my family has not. I owned a CD25 several years ago and loved it, but the family did not.

Anyway, I am looking for a sturdy day sailer with accomodations for the Ms, to get out of the wind and perform necessary functions. I am looking at Bristol 19s (Sailstar Corinthians) and Typhoons.

I have sailed the Bristols when I was a kid and loved them. I have never sailed a Typhoon. Has anybody sailed both or can you offer any comparisons?

Thanks
NedsPoint

Corinthian

Post by NedsPoint »

Thanks Winthrop - those were my observations as well, w/o having firsthand knowledge of the Typhoon. Unfortunately, my search so far has found far less Bristols than Typhoons. I am wondering if the differences you mentioned would leave me less than satisfied with a Typhoon.

Re: Corinthian

Post by Guest »

Hi...

heres a little more for you from 1966 to 1980 their was only 712 made and the lengh is 19'6", beam 6'6", draft 2'9", wt 2724 pds. sail area 187.

the typhoon was made from 1969 to 1986 and 2200 made, length 18'6", beam 6'4", draft 2'4", wt 2000 pds for the weekender. sail area 157.

you see the c19 has more water line there for sailing will be faster then the ty 18'6" and also more sail area as well, both boats will hold up to the whether as well.

i like the c19 for more room inside and out, but there are ever few around and people don't let them go.

the one i was getting some one payed more then he was asking and he took it, but thats the way its gos some times.

if you can ask to sail both boats first, and you will see which one you like.

good luck with both boats.

winthrop
i have a typhoon and cd22

NedsPoint wrote:Thanks Winthrop - those were my observations as well, w/o having firsthand knowledge of the Typhoon. Unfortunately, my search so far has found far less Bristols than Typhoons. I am wondering if the differences you mentioned would leave me less than satisfied with a Typhoon.
Peter Bigelow

Corinthian vs CD

Post by Peter Bigelow »

I owned a Corinthian (Bristol 19) for a dozen years and sailed her on Long Island Sound often with and racing against friends with Typhoons. The Bristol is slightly larger -- six inches length and width and has the feel when on board of a larger boat because they do not have self bailing cockpits and do have longer cockpits. I loved the Corinthian -- it sailed well and was very safe. I often had discussions comparing the Typhoon with the Bristol -- and when all the dust settled, the two boats sailed virtually identically, had virtually the same space below (whiich means very little) and were well built. It always boiled down to appearance -- do you like lots of Mahogony as the Bristol had an all wood cockpit or do your prefer fiberglass and lockers. I must say that as much as I loved my boat I envied my firends Typhoons because of the self bailing cockpit and so much less varnishing! You can not go wrong with either boat -- Carl Alberg at his best. Hope this helps and good sailing!

Peter
Rollergirl

Take a checkride with your MS.

Post by Rollergirl »

The Bristol has a big advantage for non-sailors in that one sits in the boat, rather then on it. In a small boat the difference can be huge. It's enormously satisfying to have the MS. on the water with you. If this is the difference that works, do it at almost any other cost
That being said, the C19 is a pig compared to the Ty. Much slower to accelerate, less nimble and not so well finished compared to the Ty. Finding a good Ty is easy; finding a good C19 usually requires a rehab of the best c19 you can find.

Looked at an Ensign?

Bill
RIKanaka
Location: 1988 CD26 #73 "Moku Ahi" (Fireboat), Dutch Harbor, RI

Corinthian FS

Post by RIKanaka »

Found this on craigslist.org. Looks pretty good. Even has a trailer. If you're in New England it could be what you're looking forl.

http://boston.craigslist.org/boa/95498908.html
Aloha,

Bob Chinn

Re: Typhoon vs. Bristol 19

Post by Guest »

I hope it' all right that I'm posting a response, but I just happen to be reading your question after looking at a new boat today. I don't have any experience with the typhoons, but the corinthian that I have sails great. After finding this other boat today, I might need to get rid of my corinthian. Perhaps you're interested. If so, contact me at otislougheed@yahoo.com

NedsPoint wrote:Hi - I am seriously contemplating adding a sailboat to my fleet (stinkpots). I have always been a sailing fan, but my family has not. I owned a CD25 several years ago and loved it, but the family did not.

Thanks
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

19' BRISTOL CORINTHIAN

Post by Oswego John »

Hi all,

That Corinthian looks like a clean boat in nice shape. It says that it is a 1970 model

Take note of the slatted cockpit bench seats. They are very similar to my 1969 early Ty Weekender's seats. Lots of teak, low on glass and gel coat. My seats have a slight curve in them to correspond to the hull's contour. No cockpit cushions.

I'm looking very hard to see if the mast is keel supported or does it sit on a tabernacle. The early models didn't have tabernacles.

All things considered, this looks like a good buy for someone. For the sake of argument, subtract $1,000.00 for the trailer and another $1,000.00 for the motor. That would mean that someone could buy this sweet looking boat for around $2,000.00. Not a bad deal.

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Appleton68

Another Choice?

Post by Appleton68 »

I sail a Typhoon Weekender and have no experience with the other boat mentioned, but I think an Ensign also designed by Alberg is essentially the same as a Typhoon Daysailer, but maybe a bit bigger. Just FYI.
Greg
RIKanaka

Alberg designs

Post by RIKanaka »

This may be listed elsewhere on this site but here is a link to Alberg-designed sailboats:

http://www.alberg30.org/CarlAlberg/designs.html

Also here's a South Coast 21 that recently went for dirt cheap on ebay recently, an "end of the season" deal. Include an outboard and Triad trailer, too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 4572453164
Aloha,

Bob Chinn
RIKanaka

Additional pictures of the Corinthian

Post by RIKanaka »

The seller of the 1970 Corinthian sent me some pictures (interior) along with permission to post them, so I've done so for anyone who's interested. If you want higher resolution images or want to contact the owner you can do so via the craigslist link in one of my previous postings on this thread. Here's the link to more pictures:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/pakehaole ... DBL1Dfdt13
Aloha,

Bob Chinn
otismedina

Daysailor

Post by otismedina »

That Bristol is absolutely beautiful. Our Ty Daysailer is a wonderful boat. It performs well, and can fit three people comfortably on the upside with everyone sitting forward of the tiller. In this case you also sit inside the boat versus on it, which I don't like but some people do. It does lack a cabin though which is a disadvantage, although the cabins in these boats seem meager. From those pictures of that Bristol, the cabin seems much brighter and lighter. The Ty Weekender does have the quarter-births that go underneath the cockpit benches, so in theory it can sleep two more people. The Bristol's cockpit looks much better in my opinion than the cockpit of the weekenders I've seen.
In the bleak midwinter Frosty wind made moan, Earth stood hard as iron, Water like a stone; Snow had fallen, snow on snow, Snow on snow, In the bleak midwinter, Long ago.

Miss Ty
isaac

don't make the mistake

Post by isaac »

4 boats later, I am sailing my melonseed skiff. the ms. wanted a place to hide fron sun - hence a goat with a dodger - then a bathroonm, hence a boat with a holding tank. regardless, participation was the same - nil.

whatever you do, don't fool yourself, your boat is your thing, and will always be - do it for tyour self and don't piss away money.