comparison of sailing characteristics betw CD 27 and CD 25D

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

sustutt

comparison of sailing characteristics betw CD 27 and CD 25D

Post by sustutt »

If anyone has sailing exp. in both of the boats, do they differ in their sailing characteristics? If so, what are the differences in the way they sail? Thanks, sustutt.
mike connell

SAILING DIFFERENCE BETWEEN CD25D & CD27

Post by mike connell »

I HAVE SAILED BOTH AND THERE IS A BIG DIFFERENCE IN THE WAY THEY SAIL. CD27 IS ONE OF THE BEST SAILING ALBERG DESIGNES, THE 25D IS AT THE OTHER IN OF THE ALBERG DESIGNS SPECTRUM. I HAVE SAILED A TYPHOON 2 YEARS, CD22 10 YEARS AND MY CURRENT CD27 13 YEARS, ALL GREAT SAILBOATS. A FRIEND HAS A CD25D ITS A NICE BOAT, BUT THE CD22 & CD27,BOTH CAN SAIL CIRCLES AROUND THE 25D.TRY THEM AND YOU WILL SEE.
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Look in the archives

Post by Warren Kaplan »

I believe there have been lengthy discussions on this very subject at least a couple of times in the past. So put some combination of CD27 vs CD25D in the search function and you should immediately get a wealth of information.

I've never sailed aboard a 25D but I have a 1980 CD27. With the right sails the CD27 is a fabulous sailing boat!
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
rtbates

be aware that....

Post by rtbates »

folks who use ALL CAPS can't be trusted!!

randy 25D Seraph #161
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

CD27 - How Sweet It Is

Post by Oswego John »

Hi all,

Guess what, I went for my first sail of the year last night. I got a phone call from a local who happens to own the sweetest CD27 that I have seen in a loooong time. Let me tell you, this boat was in beautiful shape. I happen to know for a fact that the owner rebuilt just about everything on it by himself, to his own demanding specs.

We agreed to meet after work and dinner, about 6:30 PM at the marina, and go for a quiet little twilight sail. I arrived a little early and was greeted by the owner and his teenaged son.

That afternoon was a typically calm, hot, summer day. The cooling zephyrs that were dancing across Oswego Harbour were beckoning, yes, enticing the boaters to hoist sails and be tantalized into thinking that mother nature might possibly favor them with a stronger breeze.

At a little after six PM, as I drove into the marina parking area, I couldn't help but notice heavy breakers crashing over the outer breakwater. Whoa Nellie, I guess we won't be going out this evening. Wrong again, John.

Last evening was the first time that I sailed with this person. At first, I said very little. I observed and was highly impressed with the skipper's pre-sail procedure. After showing me around and below, he then handed me a PFD. Next, I was made familiar with the engine controls and the lifeline, etc. Nothing was left to chance.

He then fired up the iron genny, freed the lines and away we went.
When we were a safe distance away from the marina slips, sails were hoisted. The harbour was anything but like a mill pond, as it was earlier that day. The skipper decided on two reef points. Smart choice, let me tell you.. After the shortened main went up, we started to fly. I was on the tiller and felt considerable weather helm until the working jib was unfurled.

We started to boil toward the harbour entrance and it was noted that the W by NWerly was singing a pretty tune in the rigging. Once we left the protection of the harbour, we were met by some heavy water, I would reckon that the wind was about in the high teens, maybe 20 knots. We set a northerly course and were greeted by waves against our port bow quarter. Several times when I could catch a glimpse, I noticed that we're slightly above and below 7 knots. Talk about having white knuckles.

The waves last evening were unlike what I would consider them to be with a steady 20 knot force, no puffs at all. There were huge rollers with high crests and deep troughs. What I noticed was although the wind was piping up real smartly, there were no whitecaps at all, just foam on the crests. We got knocked around a bit, due to our own carelessness and lack of attention when a big one snuck up on us.
God bless full keels, and bless Alberg too.

That CD27 took everything that Lake Ontario had to throw at us last evening and not so much as a whimper was heard. Oh, by the way, other than a sunfish planing earlier inside the harbour, there was only one sailboat on the water last evening, a CD27.

But of course. CDs rule.
O J