Oxford, Md

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

David Sabourin
Tracy's Creek, Maryland

Oxford, Md

Post by David Sabourin »

Hello Fellow CDrs,
I would be nice to get together on the water this weekend. Maybe at the "strand" in Oxford, Md. If the weather is nice and the winds allow, the Mad Hatter will be anchored somewhere off the "strand". If you are can make it to Oxford stop by and have a cool one.

David & Beth
Will Wheatley
On Mill Creek in Annnapolis, MD

Post by Will Wheatley »

A great destination! I can't promise but I will try to be there. It's time to get my older boy out there for an overnight anyway. I'm pretty sure he's a future motorhead but I will try to encourage the sailor in him.

Happy Sailoring~~~~/)~~~~
Will Wheatley, CDSOA
Sailing The Bay near Chesapeake Beach, MD
David Sabourin
Tracy's Creek, Maryland

this weekend

Post by David Sabourin »

Will,
It would be nice to see you again.......it's been a season or two since we met up in Broad Creek or wherever it was. The one thing that impressed me most about the northeast fleet is the tight group they are......alwayx getting together and sharing space. They seem to have it together.

d

Post by Guest »

Wish we could make it down to Oxford. We're into our second of three weeks out on the bay and are at St. Michaels right now. Heading north where there are no sea nettles so we can swim the heat stroke off.

We monitor 71 and 16, so if anyone is around Eastern Bay or north, give a shout.

Bob
Bob L

Post by Bob L »

oops, I forgot I wasn't logged in. I apparently can't edit my previous post, so I add this note which has our boat name...

Bob
Will Wheatley
On Mill Creek in Annnapolis, MD

Re: this weekend

Post by Will Wheatley »

David Sabourin wrote:Will,
The one thing that impressed me most about the northeast fleet is the tight group they are......alwayx getting together and sharing space. They seem to have it together.

d
Can't say I know why but I think you are right. Maybe the short season in the NE makes them make the most of the season they do have. I have also noticed that several other fleets have very active members who sail the smaller CDs. Not sure where all the25s, 26s, 27s and 28s are around here but I rarely see them online and less often on the water.
It may be that our region suffers from a wealth of excellent sailing destinations. Almost every river and creek offers a good spot to spend the day or night so people feel less inclined about getting a group together in a destination. Not to mention that mid summer sailing on the bay is not for the unrugged. Between the heat and the bugs it can be a real effort to make the leap onto the water. For me it's a no brainer. Usually within an hour or so of leaving the dock my landbound worries jump overboard, often accompanied by an actual physical feeling that I just unwound. I cherish that feeling and it stays with me as long as I am cruising, bugs and heat and all.
As an official in the CDSOA I want to thank you for your continuing effort to bring Chesapeake sailors together by posting your destinations. I hope that others will feel encouraged to join you and similarly post their destinations.

Happy Sailoring~~~~/)~~~~
Will Wheatley, CDSOA
Sailing The Bay near Chesapeake Beach, MD
David Sabourin
Tracy's Creek, Maryland

This Weekend

Post by David Sabourin »

Will et al:

It looks like "Mother Nature" has given us a little respite for Sat & Sun then back into the high nineties on Mon and thru next week. All the more reason to get out on the water and maybe join us in Oxford......the winds look promising and temps in the high 80's.

We will be off the Strand with the mixins of some cool tropical drinks (via our 12 v blender). So if anyone is closeby stop and get yours.....

David & Beth
David Sabourin
Tracy's Creek, Maryland

The Weekend

Post by David Sabourin »

Well we had a great ride over to Oxford on Saturday. The winds were blowing from the northeast or so and we did a trip around the point instead of going thru Knapps. We flew the spinny till we rounded the green at the mouth of the Choptank and did seven knots most of the way over.

Very quiet off the strand......only three sailboats beside us were anchored there. Strange as it is usually full of boats. But the Tred AVon Yacht Club was hosting a fleet of Stars from all over. They were racing both Sat and Sun. Kewl little boats. Could be some olympic folks in there too.

Sorry that none of the CDrs around the Bay had a chance to join us. The temps were nice and cool overnight and a nice breeze blew as well.

We will post our next destination soon,

David & Beth

Envious!

Post by Guest »

Woke up saturday morning and saw the breeze, quite a nice surprise for mid July - hope you enjoyed the gift from ma nature.