boarding ladder CD27

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

james white

boarding ladder CD27

Post by james white »

Anyone have any suggestions about a good boarding ladder for a CD27? We have a home-made (by previous owner) wooden job that sort of hooks over the port quarter gunwale and has to be tied to the winch cleats and is wobbly and insecure feeling. Something on the stern, fold-down, tubular steel would be nice, but any suggestions are welcome either here or directly to me via email.
Jim White
jwwhite@email.unc.edu
Bill Goldsmith

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

I'm not a big fan of stern boarding ladders on boats like CDs with overhangs. Where there is any chop at all, the ladder bangs up and down, possibly causing injury, and making boarding difficult. Plus, you have to climb over the stern rail. If you have more than a couple of people swimming, everyone gets crowded in the cockpit.

The best place for a boarding ladder is amidships. Even in a chop, it will be the place on the boat with the least movement, and the easiest boarding altogether.

I really like the design of the FOLDAWAY from Mystic Stainless. I believe some CD owners have installed them. Here are a couple of drawings from their site (http://www.mysticstainless.com/page2.html) showing it stowed and deployed.

It's on my wish list. I still have the factory stern ladder on Loonsong.

[img]http://www.mysticstainless.com/img17.gif[/img]

[img]http://www.mysticstainless.com/img16.gif[/img]
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

BOARDING LADDER CD27

Post by Oswego John »

Bill.

That's a nice looking ladder. I am concerned with what looks like a strap of some sort wrapped around the lifeline to keep the ladder from unfolding.

Can this be easily reached and opened by a person who is a swimmer or a MOB? Maybe a ripcord arrangement of some sort could be fashioned to reach the MOB?

Best regards,
O J
Bill Goldsmith

Re: BOARDING LADDER CD27

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

Oswego John wrote:Maybe a ripcord arrangement of some sort could be fashioned to reach the MOB?
I believe Mystic Stainless works with each customer to make the ladder semi-custom, i.e. making sure the standoffs are cut just right to conform to the hull curvature etc. I would imagine there is a way to make a rip cord so it could be deployed from the drink.

I'm almost positive I read an old Board message where I originally learned this information, perhaps a search would be in order.
Bill Goldsmith

FOund the old thread mentioning the Foldaway

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

Here is the old thread mentioning the Foldaway ladder:

http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic ... t=foldaway
Bob Luby

Boarding Ladder

Post by Bob Luby »

I have a ladder from Mystic Stainless on my 25D.

When you get it make sure that all crew members can climb it unassisted while the boat is on the hard or at a dock. If the steps are too far apart, for your wife, Mystic can weld others in place.

It's a nice piece of gear. You can probably rig something with a slip knot for a MOB.
________
Mexicocity hotel
Last edited by Bob Luby on Feb 11th, '11, 03:58, edited 1 time in total.
mike connell

CD 27 BOARDING LADDER

Post by mike connell »

MY CD 27(THE ONE FOR SALE) HAS A CUSTOM DESIGN LADDER, WORKS GREAT AND BLENDS WITH THE GREAT LOOKING CD STERN.
I HAVE IT NEATLY TIED TO THE STERN RAIL WITH SMALL SHOCK CORD. THE CORD IS TIGHTLY WRAPED AROUND THE RAIL AND BOTTOM RUNG FOLDED UP EVEN TO TH TOP OF THE RAIL.THE END OF THE SHOCK CORD HAS A FIGURE 8 TIED IN IT.WHEN IN THE WATER REACH UP AND PULL THE LADDER,THE SHOCK CORD STRETCHES JUST ENOUGHT TO ALLOW TH FIGURE 8 KNOT TO SLIP BETWEEN THE LADDER RUNG AND THE TOP STERN PULPIT RAIL, RELEASING THE LADDER. TIE THE SHOCK CORD TO THE VERY RIGHT OR LEFT EDGE OF THE LADDER/RAIL THEN PUSH LADDER OUT, SLIDE
THE FIG.8 KNOT IN BETWEEN THE RAILS,IT IS NOW READY FOR DEPLOYMENT FROM DECK OR WATER. THE OTHER END OF THE SHOCK CORD IS TIED TO BOTTOM RUNG,I USE ABOUT 3 WRAPS TO SECURE BEFORE SLIPING THE KNOT INBETWEEN TH 2 RAILS.