Typhoon Deadlights

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

jetstar5224
Zelienople PA

Typhoon Deadlights

Post by jetstar5224 »

Hello all,

Just got a 1977 Typhoon Weekender last weekend, and my wife and I have been busy in the garage cleaning her up. As my wife was innocently cleaning the interior cabin, one of the porthole lenses, (deadlight) popped out. I read the archives about how it goes together, but really didn't "get it" until I read the post about it approximated an old fashioned window, i.e., the lens is glazed in, not really retained by the inner or outer rings.

So, what sealant to use? When I think of marine sealant, I think of 3M 5200, which doesn't look like it will work in this case. The original sealant is kind of tan or rubber cement in color, and might have been more pliable in it's youth, but pretty stiff now.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks,

Dave Milo
Steve Laume

One thing leads to another

Post by Steve Laume »

I think I used boatlife caulk. While you are at it you might as well take them both right out of the boat. You can clean them and or paint them if the shine is gone. I cut a fresh piece of plexi glass while I was at it then caulked it into the ring. Let it dry so you don't mess up while you are rebedding the thing back into the boat. You can also polish up the cabintop a bit easier while the ports are out. Be thankful your trouble shooting found the lose plastic before you are all finished and the thing fell overboard leaving your boat exposed to the next thunderstorm. Have fun messing with your new TY, Steve.