1986 CD 36 Fuel Tank Replacement

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Bob Grabham

1986 CD 36 Fuel Tank Replacement

Post by Bob Grabham »

I've read most of the posts on replacing fuel tanks but am curious if anyone out there with a CD36 with the fuel tank in the bilge has replaced their tank. I've noticed fuel in the bilge over the last several sails and have ruled out everything but a fuel tank leak. In my 36 it looks as if I'll have to cut out the cabin sole to remove the tank and replace. Has anyone found a way of replacing/renewing without removing the cabin sole? The current inspection opening is only about 8" by 10" and only allows limited access to the fuel tank inspection port. I've contacted Florida Tank for a quote on a new tank. Am I missing anything or is there another way to solve a tank leak with very limited access to the tank? Thanks in advance for the collected wisdom of this board.

Bob Grabham
CD36, Hunky Dory
Rappahannock River, Virginia
David Sabourin
Tracy's Creek, Maryland

fuel tank for 36

Post by David Sabourin »

Bob,
I changed my fuel tank two years ago on my 36. It had to be removed from the bilge by cutting the floor. If you want any more info on who what and where just send me an email and I will give you the benefit of my ordeal. hatter11@comcast.net

David
David VanDenburgh
CD 36, #7
Lake Michigan

Post by David VanDenburgh »

Patrick Turner (Salt Shaker) has photos on his website of his CD36 with the cabin sole taken up and the tanks exposed. You might want to check out his photos and email him for advice.

I just tried to get his URL for you, but it looks like his address has changed. Perhaps you can get him to respond here or shoot him an email.[/url]
David VanDenburgh (the elder)