New Mainsail, Please advice

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

boogie

New Mainsail, Please advice

Post by boogie »

I'm looking to purchase a new main, does anyone have any experience with Neil Pryde sails located in Milford CT. They seem to have the best sails for the price. Any comments or suggestions appreciated.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: New Mainsail, Please advice

Post by Neil Gordon »

boogie wrote:I'm looking to purchase a new main, does anyone have any experience with Neil Pryde sails located in Milford CT. They seem to have the best sails for the price. Any comments or suggestions appreciated.
I got my Neil Pryde main through my sailmaker in Squantum, MA. I got the crusing deluxe version and have been happy with it.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Steve Laume

Cruising Deluxe

Post by Steve Laume »

Neil, what sort of features would a Cruising Deluxe model sail have? It sounds like just the sort of sail any self respecting Cape Dory should wear. Lose footed, bolt rope or slides, length of battens, leach cut, number of reef points, material? I have two older mains that are serviceable and there are some differences I am sorting out. The one on the boat now has a bolt rope in the foot which doesn't allow sail ties or reef lines to be pasted through between sail and boom but it sets very nicely. It also has a lose rope laced to the sail with the sail slides threaded onto the rope at the luff up to the second reef line. That is a very nice feature in that it gets the foot of the sail out of the way when you are reefing. Block Island on Tues!! Hopefully the winds will be up and the anchorage cleared out by then, Steve.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Cruising Deluxe

Post by Neil Gordon »

I'm doing this from memory, as I'm away from the boat. The cruising deluxe main has a full top batten, bolt rope on the foot, two reef points and serious reinforcements where needed. I don't know the weight of the dacron, but the sail packs to significantly more bulk than the original main it replaced. I can probably find the specs over the weekend.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698