Engine Blues

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Joe Mac Phee

YSB-12 no start

Post by Joe Mac Phee »

Greg,

Sorry to hear of your engine problem. If it is any consolation, I have left that switch on many times with impunity. By the way, can you hear the pump clicking?. The only thing that happens is that the electric fuel pump runs and recirculates fuel back to the tank. If the pump is running, the ignition switch works and there is a least some life in the battery.

You have received many excellent suggestions here. There are some things you can try to cut the cards on the location of the problem. Turn on a cabin light, if it lights, there is at least enough in the battery for the lamp and the wires have not fallen off. Watch the light while you actuate the starter. If there is no change in the bulb, something is broken in the starter circuit (switch, solenoid, etc). If the bulb goes out, either the battery is weak or there is a battery wiring problem (loose , corroded, broken, etc.). The bulb will normally go dim from the starter load until the engine starts.

One of the most useful electric diagnostic tools is the already suggested long clip lead. Connect the clip lead directly to the battery (be careful, it is considered bad form to make sparks) and go directly to the solenoid connection on the starter. If it turns over, you know where to look.

Consider taking a battery ashore and charging it up. An automotive shop could check it under load. I presume these batteries are only a year old and it is unlikely that both would disgrace themselves.

Good luck with your problem, and feel free to ask specific questions if you are stuck.

Joe Mac Phee
S/V Iolanthe
CD-30/K
Bristol, RI
Greg Bakos

Thanks to all of you for the fantastic replies.

Post by Greg Bakos »

I've been off-line since posting my problem, and now that I'm back I am overwhelmed with the responses. Now at least I have a plan of attack, and lots of avenues to check. I'll probably spend an evening this week on the boat trying to diagnose the problem.

I will let you all know how it goes.

Before I bought this (my first) boat I spent some time reading this message board, and it weighed on my decision to buy a CD. The above responses reinforce that this a great group. Thanks again.

-Greg
Ed Haley

Starting Problems

Post by Ed Haley »

First of all, I doubt that leaving the key on hurt anything.

Second, since the engine made no "wimper," I suggest that there is either a fuse shot (as had been mentioned) or a bad ground somewhere. Check where the battery ground is attached to your engine or other point.

Third, make sure your battery terminals are clean. If not, clean them up and put some dielectric grease on the posts before putting the clamps back on. This should be done prior to launch and you probably have already done this.
elbows wychulis

sounds like you might need some new contact points

Post by elbows wychulis »

The solenoid on the starter takes a wicked beating with all the amperage generated from the battery flowing to the two contact points that energize the coil and magnet to turn over your engine.
In an emergency you can weld with a battery using coat hanger wire.
The round cylinder attached to your starter motor comes off easily.
That is your solenoid. Take the cap off and inside you will see two copper L shaped contacts. They will usually be corroded from repeated arcing when they make contact when you turn the ignition key on.
They cost about two dollars apiece to replace and any automotive supply store or generator rebuilding shop will sell you them.
If you decide to take the solenoid apart make sure you sketch each part as you disassemble it so you can return it to its rightful place on assembly. First two rules of thumb when dealing with engines :
make sure you have spark and make sure you have fuel.
Use a continuity tester as suggested above to make sure you are getting current to the solenoid.
Bob Condonx

Some vendor info for you

Post by Bob Condonx »

Greg,

I am in Salem harbor also... I had my starter rebuilt in my Yanmar
and this spring, the solenoid was gone.

The question is when you turn the key, do you hear any sort of click.

The other thing to do is to disconnect the small spade connector on the starter, have someone turn the key and use a voltage tester to
see if there is voltage at the connector.

IF THERE IS, then the solenoid is probably gone. I used WinterIsland Yacht Yard (Speak to Peter, Dianne or Karen) and they can get you fixed. I pulled the starter myself and brought it to them.

VERY GOOD AND HONEST PEOPLE!

I am out of Village STreet in West Marblehead and moored just off the Rockmore floating restaurant...

If you need more help, email me at bcondon@cisco.com
WIll be out on Sunday for the day.

Bob Condon
Bill
Chebeague Island, Maine (offshore)

Engine blues

Post by Bill »

Greg, the posts regarding your engine problem are great...most based on experience and common sense engine fixes. Being a non-mechanic I would have been overloaded with advice and therefore contacted someone with knowledge for $40 for an hour to tell me what the problem is. Someone with gauges and gadgets. I do hope you worked it out. Let the board know since we may all encounter this someday. Bill