Heavier Typhoon motor

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

HUSKERDEN

Heavier Typhoon motor

Post by HUSKERDEN »

I am thinking of getting a 10-15 HP 4 stroke, long shaft for my Typhoon. Weight should be anywhere from 85 to 120lbs. Has anyone out there done this? Will the transom handle it (I have a good backing plate), and is that too much weight that far aft?
Dennis Nunn
Mike Wainfeld
Bayshore, NY

Much too heavy-

Post by Mike Wainfeld »

I think 3hp is the best compromise between power and weight. Tops 4hp. That will be all you need. Get the long shaft.
Also-read the post from a couple of days ago.
HUSKERDEN

Post by HUSKERDEN »

I know it doesnt need much, but I wanted to get something I could use for other things also. A two cylinder 4 stroke is so quite.
Dennis Nunn
Tim Mertinooke

Post by Tim Mertinooke »

That would be an awefully big shoe to fit on such a little foot. I say challenge yourself and go engineless.
CD26 #52
"Odyssey"
Dick Villamil

typhoon motor size

Post by Dick Villamil »

:D What length water ski tow rope do you plan on using?
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I bought a a Typhoon a few years ago with a 9HP two stroke on the stern, 80LBS of lead in the bow and the waterline raised over the top of the factory bootstripe. The PO was definitly struggling to ballance things. The boat sails well enough not to need much of a motor, Steve.
Didereaux

It's a lever!

Post by Didereaux »

Remember that is 80lbs on the end of a 9' LEVER! Your boat is a see-saw with its' center(usually below the mast or near there) gravity as the fulcrum. to keep it level you would add the same weight the same distance forward of that point. Which someone pointed out results in your boat being overloaded or nearly so.

The other thing overlooked is that the hull speed determines your speed NOT horse power, once you have sufficient HP to reach hull speed any eadditional does nothing more than dig a deeper hole.

Odds are(and reading the archives of Typhoon owners) that a 5-6 hp motor reaches hull speed even in rough or adverse conditions. So why, except for unlimited money supply, would you try and put on a huge, for a Typhoon motor? Hell, if you want to impress someone adapt a 500hp supercharged V-something and have a go at towing container ships around the harbor with your typhoon.<grin>
Didereaux- San Leon, TX
last owner of CD-25 #183 "Spring Gail"
"I do not attempt to make leopards change their spots...after I have skinned them, they are free to grow 'em back or not, as they see fit!" Didereaux 2007