Seeking CD27 sail inventory recommendations

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John D.
CD27 #105
Annapolis, Maryland

Seeking CD27 sail inventory recommendations

Post by John D. »

Several members have helpful responses last season to my "new sails or better trim skills" question. I postponed the new sails, and have managed to point pretty close to 45 degrees off the wind when conditions are right. The problem is that conditions are not always right for a 135% genoa on the furler, and partially rolling it up really hurts performance, so now I'm starting to consider new sails.

The mainsail choices seem pretty obvious, but headsails are another story. I'd like to be able to sail in 5 to 25 knots, on all points, with a minimal crew and inventory.

I'm thinking of putting a 100% jib on the furler, and using a cruising spinnaker/gennaker hoisted on its own luff for light air and downwind work. I figure that in light air I'll be able to handle the gennaker easily enough without a furler.

What are others doing? Thoughts on dealing with light air on the choppy Chesapeake would be particularly welcome.
franko

sail inventory

Post by franko »

I sail a 25d in texas where wind conditions are usually not light. Had a 135% but was overpowered over 15kt. Sailnet (airforce) made me a 105%roller furling headsail and it has been great. I highly recommend for 5-25kt.
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

I've replaced all the sails on my CD27 in the 5 years that I have her. I've got a Doyle 2+2 loose footed mainsail. Just Terrific.
Where I originally kept my boat I'd get a seabreeze everyday like clockwork between 11-18 knots. So I replaced the old blown out furling genoa with a 110% high cut genny (better for viewing what's ahead) on a brand new furlex furler. With the good winds in that sailing area the 110% was a good choice.
Then I moved my boat to an area that is known for very light winds during July and August. Unless the winds got above about 10 knots the 110% was just about worthless. I did a lot of motoring the first two years I had the boat in the new sailing area. This year I made two new additions. I got a new Doyle 140% genoa. Its not a decksweeper but its cut so the foot is about 6" above the lifelines. The difference between sailing with the 140% vs. the 110% is akin to the difference between chicken salad and chicken s**t. The 140% is powerful but not overpowering and I can still see quite well forward to leeward. It gets my boat up to hull speed in as little as 6 or 7 knots of wind, depending on point of sail. If the wind pipes up I can partially furl it. Sure it doesn't set as well but frankly with big wind it doesn't have to set perfectly to drive the boat pretty fast. I've kept my 110% (only 4 years old) for fall sailing, when the wind usually gets up there. I'll just replace the 140% with the 110% and leave it on until the end of the season in November.
I also have a cruising spinnaker. As I said, I do a lot of light air sailing now and even a 140% genny ain't great when sailing down wind in very light air. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but from all I've heard from other people it can turn days that you'd usually have to turn on the "iron genny" into days that you can actually sail. That's what I want.
I guess before you run out and order new sails, take a good look at the prevailing wind conditions in your primary sailing area. To get a small headsail for a light air area can be extremely frustrating. Believe me I know. On the other hand getting a big 150% genny, as your only headsail for an area with good wind most of the time can be self defeating if you have to partially furl it most of the time, which means it doesn't set well as opposed to a smaller sail that is set fully unfurled and designed for more wind.
Sorry if I was long..ahem...winded...but some days, on Western Long Island Sound, the only wind comes from my mouth!!! :D
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Bruce Bett
Member # 1160

Junk the Roller Furler!

Post by Bruce Bett »

Now I may get some critical comments on this bit of advise, but I'm not sold on roller furlers. My boat never had a roller furler but I've certainly sailed boats that do. I've had them jam. I have seen jibs shredded because the furled up jib came undone in a storm while the skipper was at home enjoying a beer. I've read discussions of this sort and as much as I can make out many sailors who are wedded to these things get a sail that's too small for light air so that when they roll it up enough for heavy air it's shape isn't too bad. I mean they're okay, but I carry two jibs. A 145 jenny the old working jib which came with the boat when new, and an old spinnaker whose racing days are past. These and two sets of reef points give me a pretty good combination for the wide range of conditions I see on Lake Huron. As for the oft heard argument that roller furlers are a safety feature because you don't have to go up on deck in bad weather, I just don't buy that. You ARE going to have to go up on deck in bad weather! You will be safer doing it if you've been up there before in less trying conditions. If you go up there all the time you are much more likely to have worked out and be familiar with a system of harnesses tethers, and jacklines. Okay guys I've got my head down. Let it fly!

Bruce Bett
Sostenuto
CD 25 #496
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

Bruce,
No need to get your head down. I know of many sailors who prefer no furlers. To each his own.
As for me, as I often say, I am not as nimble on the foredeck as I used to be. I do remember having to go up to the foredeck when the wind piped up and we got into some pretty big rollers and I had to take down the jib. I was bouncing around on a wet and slippery deck, as we were taking spray over the bow. It wasn't easy to get the sail down and then it was blowing all over the place until I could get it under control. Then I had to shove it through the forward hatch to keep it from blowing overboard. I didn't like that experience or a few others similar to it.

There is no doubt that a furler can jam. If you take the time to service the furler at the beginning of each year and follow a few rules while using it, jamming can really be eliminated or kept to a minimum.

As for sail size, many racers use the same furler I have. A Furlex which has two tracks and can be set up to raise one headsail while lowering the other. So if you feel the need to change headsails instead of partially furling one sail, which means it won't set quite so well, it can be done pretty much as easily as changing hanked on sails.

As I said at the beginning, in my view there is no right way or wrong way. Its just a matter of personal preference as to whether you use a furler or stay with hanked on head sails.
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
rtbates

reefing a roller headsail

Post by rtbates »

I sail a 25D in anything from a light breeze to 30+ with a single 130 headsail on a roller furler/REEFER. The key to getting a large headsail to reef halfway decent is the cut AND luff tape. Talk to your sailmaker. Granted I do not point quite as well as I would if I had a dedicated 100% headsail. BUT if I'm trying to get to windward in that much wind I'd be inclined to run a tad of motor and strike the headsail all together. Roller furlers are great, IF YOU MAINTAIN THEM. Isn't that true of all sailboat equipment! For more wind I'd use a GaleSAIL with it's strap around the headsail along with a trysail.

randy 25D Seraph #161
Danno

Gale sails are a joke

Post by Danno »

anyone who sails knows that these things are strictly a marketing sucess sold to people who want storm jib, but will most likely never fly it.

The friction between the furled sail and the gale sail would make it impossible to hoist in any reasonable breeze where you might consider using one.

FWIW
rtbates

Danno where do you get your FACTS?

Post by rtbates »

anyone who sails knows that these things are strictly a marketing sucess sold to people who want storm jib, but will most likely never fly it.

Hardly:

I've taken in and put up a gale sail and it worked FLAWLESSLY!!!
Winds maybe 30+. You are right about ONE thing. You don't want to wait till its blowing a full gale..

randy 25D Seraph #161
danno

facts are based on first hand experience

Post by danno »

and from speaking with others.

delivered a 35' Contessa that had one aboard...would make a good paint cloth...but thats just my opinion.

if it works for you then thats all that matters.
rtbates

what probs w/ GaleSail

Post by rtbates »

What kind of issues did you have with the GaleSail? I'd certainly like to know as my experience has been good BUT limited.

Randy 25D Seraph #161