Overboard

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

regarding a dinghy, it just won't work at sea...

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

In protected waters in good weather is the only time you'll be towing a dinghy. You'll never tow a dinghy while making a passage at sea. So don't rely on climbing aboard your dinghy should you fall overboard unless your day or bay sailing.

Trailing a line off the stern is fine provided you're not motoring. And if you are motoring, it better be a polypropylene line that floats.

If you can figure out how to rig the engine's kill switch so that it will shut off if the helmsman goes overboard, what about the rest of the crew? And this will only stop the boat if the engine's running.

If the boat is sailing on its own -- autopilot or windpilot -- it will simply keep going. There's no stopping the boat in this case. And if you're really good at balancing your sails, the boat will continue on it's own indefinitely without an autopilot or windpilot.

So you really need to concentrate on staying on the boat. If you go overboard and there's nobody else onboard that knows how to turn the boat around, stop it and hoist you out of the water, chances are you're not going to survive. There aren't very many people that are strong enough to pull themselves out of the water up and over the deck of a boat sitting at anchor nevermind one that's sailing along at 6 knots. And the larger the boat, the higher the freeboard and the more difficult it will be to climb up.

So stay on the boat. Know and practice MOB procedures with your first mate. Everyone will feel alot better if they know what to do should disaster strike. Have you ever used your Lifesling? Give it a try. Make sure the first mate knows how to deploy it and how to rig the lifting tackle and have them actually hoist you out of the water. It'll be a real eye-opener for everyone involved.

Stay safe everybody.
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

A couple of years back I put 3 wichard folding padeyes at strategic points around the cockpit of my CD27. All with heavy backing plates. When I solo sail, especially when the motor is one and absolutely positively when the tillerpilot is engaged, I have my automatic PFD/Harness on and to it I attach a wichard double tether. I can move around the cockpit all I want and I'm always attached. Sure it may "seem" somewhat cumbersome on a day with only 7 knot winds and a beautiful blue and cloudless sky, but some weekday afternoons I sail solo and there's nobody else out there. If I go over...things could get kind of dicey. No thanks! :oops:
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Glen

Post by Glen »

I singlehand quite a bit and for me staying on the boat is paramount..."on" meaning on the deck...it isn't any good being connected to the boat and dangling over the side bashing up against the hull in rough seas. To this end it is necessary to use jackline(s), harness, and tether(s).

Running the jacklines along the side decks is not a good idea since I can still fall "overboard" and dangle outside the lifelines...no matter if I go over or under the lifelines as I will be stuck close to where I made my exit.

It would be better to run the jacklines outside of the lifelines and on the outboard of the side stays. This would require double (or 2) tethers when going forward of the mast (past the side stays). At least if I fell over the top of the lifelines I would still be connected to the boat and would slide to the stern unobstructed. I have rigged the lashing for my stern ladder with a line led to the waterline so that I can deploy the ladder from the water (mostly in case I fall over at the dock or at anchor). Of course if I am swept under the lifelines, well, there I hang.

It is a much better idea to run the jackline down the center of the deck so that my tether never lets me go outboard of the lifelines yet has enough length to do my mast/foredeck work. However, it is much more difficult on many boats to do this well and requires a double (or 2) tethers and a lot of clipping/unclipping to go forward of the mast. It is still easier than finding crew to do all of my foredeck work.

Consider the importance of staying on deck if, say, you get slammed to the deck by a big wave and break your wrist just before going over the side. You are now in agonizing pain and have only one hand to get back aboard. If you go over unconscious, then you could possibly drown even if still connected.

I always stay clipped on unless it is calm conditions AND I have crew that I KNOW can come back for me (which means I am usually tethered). I have freaked out newbies by donning my harness and clipping on during short daysails in calm conditions ("Should I be putting one of those on!?"), so now I include it in the safety orientation.

"One hand for the boat and one hand for yourself!"
fenixrises

Post by fenixrises »

Hi all,

Having sailed many miles single or short handed I have though about the many different methods that people use for these safety issues.

On my last boat I incorporated some of them. On my current boat I will do many of the previous things and being older and less nimble I will add a few new ones.

1. 30" high stanchions, pulpits and double lifelines. Stand on the floor and measure where 24" hits your leg! This is usually at about knee height. The addtional 6" means I can really brace myself against the upper lifeline or pulpit rail. The difference is very noticeable when watering the fish. :roll:

2. 4" high bulwarks added to the stanchion bases and brought fore and aft to the pulpits. This adds a much needed place to brace my feet when moving about fore and aft, especially on the leeward side of the boat.

3. At sea rig an addtional rope lifeline fore and aft. This is tied from the forward topmost part of the stern pulpit forward to the aftmost shroud, then clovehitched to it. Then to the next shroud and so on. Last the line is brought forward to the aft topmost part of the bow pulpit. Where the line is attached to the shrouds it is tied at chest height, for me, about 4'6" from the deck.

4. On my current boat I will use the existing hinged SS boarding ladder. This was mounted to the transom. Now it will be through bolted to bulwark rail, just aft of amidships. I have found that this is a much easier place to board the boat. Tie a short piece of line to one rung. The tail should be long enough to reach the water after using a simple overhand knot to either the upper lifeline or a stanchion. A quick yank unties the knot and pulls the ladder down.
A ladder like this can be made very easily and with minimal expense from 1 & 1/2" schd 40 PVC pipe and fittings. It does not need to be permenantly mounted. Rig a line all the way through the pipe. Use the ends to tie it off to something stout at the rail. The bottom rung should be about one foot below the water and the rungs spaced no more the 12" apart. Apply a piece of non-skid tape to the top of each rung. The tape can be purchased from Home Depot for a couple of $'s. This was what I did on my last boat. It worked very well. The ladder rungs need only be about 12" wide. It is light and easy to store in the lazerette when un-needed.

5. Previously I only used a harness in rough conditions. In the future I will probably use one much more frequently. Jacklines make good sense too and are not expensive.

6. A line trailed astern seems a good idea. It should be polypropelene so it floats, quite long, at least 3/8" dia. and with a big monkey's fist type knot on the end.
It could be rigged to disengage an autopilot or windvane or shutdown the engine. Two problems though. One: polyprop degrades rather fast in UV. Two: to have a chance to grab it, if un-tether, it needs to be quite long, say at least 150'. This adds a fair amount of drag and a place for growies to accumulate.

7. Boarding a dingy in the water, from the water, requires a certain amount of fitness. Going over the transom is usually the best way but very difficult when an outboard is mounted. A simple rope loop long enough to reach at least 12" to 16" below the water helps a lot.

8. Generally I have found that moving about on deck requires caution. I will crawl on hands and knees or sit on the cabin top and slide fore or aft crabwise at anytime. I have often found that sitting in the cockpit or below deck and doing a mental rehersal of what needs to done before hand helps a lot.

9. For couples or families man overboard practice should be done.
This activity can be quite sobering for many. It can be fun, if the water isn't too cold or waves too high. A simple cushion makes a good dummy. One person is designated "Captain" and the "Crew" follows their orders. With only two aboard the crew person does and says nothing. Any person part of a permanent crew should be capable of handling the boat under most conditions. Responsible sailors make sure they and their crewmates are well trained. I did this more or less by accident on my return passage. My crew was not experienced. A cockpit pillow went overboard and we retrieved it. The time and difficulty in doing so, 15-20 knot winds and 6'-8' seas, brought home the message to my crew about being aware and safe at all times.

10. Given the difficulty of seeing a person overboard I wonder why the inflatable harnesses do not include a tripable bright colored helium filled ballon on a 20' or 30' tether?

11. One hand for yourself, one hand for the ship. An old saying and very apropos.

Take care,
Fred B.
You should always have an odd number of holes in your boat!
Bill
Chebeague Island, Maine (offshore)

Did not fall overboard....

Post by Bill »

Anchored here in Maine 2nd week September. It was hot even for Sept so took a dip. Quiet cove, warmish water. When I dove off the boat, I had an awful thought...swim ladder was not out.
Struggled and swore and begged forgiveness, but I could not get aboard. Wind and current told me to stay with the boat, and no one aboard to employ the ladder.

Rescued by a couple in a small power boat about 10 minutes later.
And, I did not fall overboard! So I can imagine what it must be like to actually fall overboard while alone. Taught me a very good lesson. Bill
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Overboard = dead

Post by Neil Gordon »

Variouls COB recovery methods have been tried and tested, with strong swimmers in wetsuits as the overboard victims. They invariably "died" before they could be rescued.

Often, you don't just fall overboard, you get knocked overboard. Just as often, the person in the water is injured. Further, it doesn't take much cold water immersion to sap muscle strength. Bottom line... the person in the water is useless in helping to get himself back on board.

The absolute best way to live is to stay on the boat.

That said, if you see something in the water that you like (I'm partial to hats and fenders), check for traffic and then have a COB drill. Get the boat back to the object, go through the steps you'd go through for a human victim, then use the boat hook to snare your prize.

When sailing alone, it really is imperative to stay on the boat. We had a situation locally where a boat on auto pilot was found chugging along just fine. It's single hander skipper was found dead about 20 miles astern. I prefer to cut the motor when going forward for sail handling.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Jim Lewis

Overboard

Post by Jim Lewis »

This is a great post with all the data, stay attached by all means.
And by attached I mean on a tether that will not allow you to fall off the boat into the water. Now I need to heed my own advice!
I know all of you veteran sailors have gone forward with nothing
on calm days. Good luck to all and may we be safer after reading these posts.
Jim Lewis
Doug Fallin

Securing to the masthead

Post by Doug Fallin »

With such a good discussion, I thought I'd take a chance and present a system I have used the last two seasons. It is somewhat unconventional and may have flaws. I thought I'd present the idea to the board for criticism and suggestions.

I use a jackline down the center of the boat and tether to it always. Additionally, When I leave the cockpit, I hook onto a line leading from the masthead. I use the topping lift aft of the mast and switch to the spinnaker halyard when I go forward. I have strategically placed snap clips (correct term??) so that if I where to fall over, I would not enter the water, instead I would swing back towards the life line and stay at deck level. The further aft I travel, the higher I am lifted. With crew, I have tested this system and it has worked from both sides and all points of sail. I get the most wet when beating and going over the leeside. I let the water carry me aft and I am lifted out of the water, where I can grab the lifelines and get back on deck. At no point does my head enter the water.

I was wondering if anyone has ever though of a system such as this? Am I doing something dangerous or is this a safe practice? It seems to workout, but I'm wondering if there are situations I am overlooking.
Roy J.
Location: The fleet: Auburn CD-25, CD-28 #255 as yet unnamed Marblehead MA

Nomen non est omen

Post by Roy J. »

This is terrible, but irresistable, and I hope either Carter or John Vigor will correct my pigish Latin, but Doug seems to have implemented a system by which his name is not his fate. I guess the most dangerous circumstance would in the use of this masthead arrangement would be in a rollover. I would use a snapshackle for the topping lift/halyard to harness connection so you could release yourself quickly if necessary.
Roy Jacobowitz
Jim Lewis

Shackle

Post by Jim Lewis »

I have never found a quick release or shackle that is under tension to release. Kens thoughts of a sharp knife is a more positive way of getting loose providing you don t drop it......
Jim Lewis
M. R. Bober

Post by M. R. Bober »

Neil's point is well taken. Several years ago--while white water rafting--I went overboard. My first though was "I'm OK, and I will swim to the near shore." Good plan, but impossible to execute. I had been an AAU swimmer (back when there were only two or three strokes), but couldn't overcome the current. So I drifted downstream for what seemed like 20 minutes--actually less than 5 minutes--in cold water before catching the raft. The scary part was that I could not climb aboard (low freeboard on an inflatable) without assistance.

Alone on big water the results could have been fatal.

So, stay aboard.

Every best wish.
Mitchell Bober
Sunny Annapolis (where if you "Stick close to your desks and never go to sea / ... you all may be rulers of the Queen's Navee". G&S), MD
Marianna Max

Post by Marianna Max »

The first thing I learned kayaking was stay in the boat and learn to roll it. Second thing I learned as a kayaker was if I had to come out, stay with the boat (and hold onto your paddle). Even with me in a life jacket, the boat tended to float better than I did and it was my only ticket home and no, I couldn't get back in it without getting to land (which is the reason to stay in it in the first place). At least in a river, even in white water, you eventually get to eddies and can make your way to shore and back into your boat if you haven't lost it. No such luck in the middle of the ocean. I've seriously been thinking about getting a kayak to take with us on the 28 when we explore the islands. It would be a heck of a lot more fun then rowing the dinghy but wouldn't do us much good as a rescue craft if we were in the water.
Matt Cawthorne
Hull # 79

Increasing your chances.

Post by Matt Cawthorne »

It is clear that staying aboard is the only way to be reasonably certain of surviving an ocean passage. There are times, however, that one might wish to have some backup. I recall a conversation with a friend where he talked about hearing a radio conversation where a sailor had gone over the side and been held in place by his tether....under water.. as the boat rushed along. His wife did not know how to stop the boat so he drowned. They sailed along in that configuration for about an hour. If he had a tether with a release he might have survived the cold water for a while, but with her skills he would have been separated from the boat. I have been thinking about attaching the control lines on the self steering device to the control arm with snap shackles. The line towed astern could have a bungy that keeps a loop in the line until a heavy object grabs it. When the loop is straightened, a small line attached to the end of the bungy that is away from the boat could jerk open the snap shackle. With wether helm the boat speed would be reduced. The chances of survival might go up significantly. At least if you could stay near the boat you would have hope for your last hours or minutes of life.

Matt
John Vigor

Re: Nomen non est omen

Post by John Vigor »

Roy J. wrote:This is terrible, but irresistable, and I hope either Carter or John Vigor will correct my pigish Latin, but Doug seems to have implemented a system by which his name is not his fate. I guess the most dangerous circumstance would in the use of this masthead arrangement would be in a rollover. I would use a snapshackle for the topping lift/halyard to harness connection so you could release yourself quickly if necessary.
Roy:

Uoryay igpay Atinlay isay ustjay inefay. "Nomen non nomen est" is a great tag for non-fallin' Doug Fallin.

As for Doug's use of a topmast halyard or topping lift, it certainly raises intriguing possibilities. As he says, the farther you get swept back in the water, the higher the halyard will raise you. Of course, you would still have to be tethered firmly to the center of the boat, otherwise if the boat heeled you would swing way out over the water and be dunked immediately. But the Fallin theory needs to be investigated more thoroughly.

Compared with the number of people who take chances with no tethers and safety harnesses, very few people get lost overboard. I have to say I have rarely used a harness, even when singlehanding. I grew up in the days when sailors were taught to move cautiously and cling on at all times. Bernard Moitessier once told me it was better to learn to cling like monkey than wear a harness because there were many times when, roused from below by a squall, there was simply no time to bother with a safety line and harness.

Of course, there were no car airbags in those days or warnings on cigarette packets or the need to wear motorcycle helmets. If people wanted to kill themselves, they were free too. No longer. Nowadays we are strangely concerned with keeping other people safe, and drawing up legislation to make everyone conform.

If I seem in a contrary mood, I confess that last night I watched, for the umpteenth time, that extraordinary little documentary film that was shot and narrated in 1929 by Irving Johnson--the rounding of Cape Horn in a 100-knot storm on the German barque "Peking." I watched Johnson come down 17 stories of sails, hand over hand along the outer edge of each one--just for the hell of it. The captain said it couldn't be done, and refused to believe it even when shown the film. But Johnson did it, and without any tethers or helmets. For the overcautious among us, I recommend you get this video, if only to see how attitudes about safety have changed. It's in the Mystic Seaport catalog. Just Google Mystic Seaport.

Many of us have so become so timid, so aware of our mortality, that we are busy destroying the sense of adventure and danger that attracted us to sailing in the first place. Sailing can't be made completely safe, any more than rock climbing can, or even driving a car for that matter.

What's happening to us? Wars were not won by lily-livered fainthearts. People took chances to win democratic rights, and freedom of speech and movement. Many died, but who can say if it's any better to suffer a life of perpetual fear and trembling? What kind of life is it that puts foreboding and dread at the forefront of human emotions?

John Vigor
CD27 "Sangoma"
Bellingham, WA
RMeigel
1979 Cape Dory 27
Annapolis

Legend or Fact?

Post by RMeigel »

The overwhelming majority of bodies found (to the extent that a few are recovered) are found with the fly down.

Perhaps others have heard this as well.

A member of my sailing club disappeared while singlehanding a delivery - the boat was found on the reefs near Bermuda, everything in working order, wallet and personal effects also where they were ordinarily stowed. We presume this is what happened to Tim.

Robin