Just A Re-power

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Bill Sonntag

Just A Re-power

Post by Bill Sonntag »

Just a note on a re-power job:

I'm about to have a Universal M25 swapped out for a M25xpb. I'll report on the eventual saga but the yard commissioned for this has taken a very matter-of-fact view, auxiliary sail re-power work is their stock in trade. Its a straight swap out all controls, mounts and connections in basic same place. Their target time, 8 hours, one-day in and out. We shall see. Cutlas bearing, stern tube hose replacement and stuffing box repack with teflon packing also commissioned. What's the cost equation in rough terms? Well there's the advantage of new everything, from alternator to transmission included, Universal/Westerbeke upgrades to the Kabota block, some extra torque and horsepower and perhaps re-sale value. A comprehensive re-build with all this and machine shop time would run close to $4500. The old engine's sold by the way for tidy price - an advantage when you don't run them into the ground (or sea) before you replace them.

I'll provide further detail after the fact - please join me now for a moment of silence evoking the good will of the sea gods and their stewards on earth, the mechanics and riggers!!

Bill Sonntag
"Surprise"
CD 31 No. 30