Hurricane Holes In Narragansett Bay

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Hurricane Holes In Narragansett Bay

Post by Guest »

Just curious....as I ask this question I am knocking on wood etc...

If one had to anchor during a named storm in Narragansett Bay, are there any recommended sites?

Thanks
Sean
Bill Michne

East Greenwich

Post by Bill Michne »

The cove south of the East Greenwich yacht club is one the best hurricane holes in the area. I kept Mintaka there for 2 seasons, and went through one of the named storms (I don't remember which one) in 1999. During the storm I was helping, along with other owners, to pull boats at Norton's Shipyard. I was impressed by the relative calm in the cove. The bad news is that there are a lot of boats moored there so it will likely be pretty crowded during a storm. Your best bet might be to visit the various suggestions you get, and then decide which will work best for you.
Bill Michne
s/v Mintaka, CD 40
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

How about the Kickamuit River?

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

I think the best "hurricane hole" you'll find in the area is on the Kickamuit River off Mount Hope Bay but I suspect it might get crowded in there in the event of a real hurricane.
David Sabourin
Tracy's Creek, Maryland

Hurricane holes

Post by David Sabourin »

Potters Cove in Prudence Island might be a good alternative if the other spots are already crowded....it's pretty sheltered and there is very little fetch in any direction.

david