Anyone interested in informal CD27 one-design racing?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John D.

Anyone interested in informal CD27 one-design racing?

Post by John D. »

I read that one of the Volvo Ocean Race teams built two identical boats, and they try out different sails, trim, etc. in head to head racing to find what is fastest.

It made me think that casual one-design racing would do the same thing for my sail trim skills (I'll just emulate the boat in front of me). It might also tell us which sails are better in certain conditions.

I'm not thinking of starting lines and committee boats - more like meet at an agreed rendezvous, get on the VHF and pick a point to race to, and go.

I sail out of Whitehall Creek near Annapolis, MD. Are there any other CD27 owners who sail in the mid-Bay and would be interested?

John D.
CD27 #105
Whitehall Creek, MD
RMeigel
1979 Cape Dory 27
Annapolis

CD 27 race

Post by RMeigel »

Hi -

My CD 27 is on the South River - Harness Creek. It would be fun try racing the CD 27s together.
Robin Meigel
John D.

Starting point

Post by John D. »

Hi Robin:

I'm happy to hear you're interested. Do you know of any other CD27 owners in the Annapolis area?

I'm open to suggestions on how to do it. My idea was that we could start at a point equidistant for all the participants. For Harness Cr. and Whitehall Cr., that seems to be along the line between Thomas Pt./Tolly Pt.

John D.
RMeigel
1979 Cape Dory 27
Annapolis

Good Old Boat Regatta

Post by RMeigel »

http://www.goodoldboat.com/regatta.html

This could be a nice way to involve other Cape Dories and also attract other Chesapeake CD 27s - there are a couple listed in the registry.

Robin
Will Wheatley
On Mill Creek in Annnapolis, MD

I will crew and GOBR

Post by Will Wheatley »

Hi guys I would like to get in on this somehow. It would be embarrasing for me to whip up on you all in my Hi-performance 25 so maybe I could help crew for races or practices or just fun. I promise to haul on sheets and halyards and turn winches with all my skill and desire. I promise to use my 200+ very mobile pounds to best advantage and I will not pack bananas or glass in my lunch pail. I'm pretty funny when time for fun comes and quite handy in boarding other vessels in case the racing isn't going so well or provisions are getting low, ARRRGH

I have been wanting to do the Good Old Boat Regatta since I found out about it. Perhaps some informal stuff could help us field a somewhat competetive one-design subgroup at the GOBR. I've been telling myself for a couple years now that this will be the year I try the GOBR. Hopefully this year I'm not fooling myself again.

Happy Sailoring~~~~/)~~~~
Will Wheatley, CDSOA
Sailing The Bay near Chesapeake Beach, MD
RMeigel
1979 Cape Dory 27
Annapolis

Good old boat - 80 boat limit, 3 boats make a class

Post by RMeigel »

The regatta website has posted changes for 2005. One weekend only. 80 boat limit. If we get one more CD 27 we can have our own start.

Will, you can always crew for me but why not race your own boat? If any of us are unsuccessful in getting 3 for a class, we'll be thrown into a diversified PHRF group and still race against one another.

I'm planning to register. it means getting my boat back in time from the Turkey Shoot. 'Won't miss that.

Robin
John D.

GOBR

Post by John D. »

Was the first CD27 built in or before 1975? I thought that was one of the GOBR requirements.
RMeigel
1979 Cape Dory 27
Annapolis

First year was 1977

Post by RMeigel »

According to the CD 27 page on our website. Hmmmm. It was a good idea while it lasted.
RMeigel
1979 Cape Dory 27
Annapolis

Exception request may be considered

Post by RMeigel »

I have emailed the Good Old Boat Regatta to ask whether an exception might be made to the 1975 rule and included the URL from this board that reflects the manufacturing history of Cape Dories. I am waiting to hear back from them.

Robin Meigel
Will Wheatley
On Mill Creek in Annnapolis, MD

Re: Good old boat - 80 boat limit, 3 boats make a class

Post by Will Wheatley »

RMeigel wrote:Will, you can always crew for me but why not race your own boat?
Robin
Looks like I may have to race Suzi Q regardless. The CD25 qualifies under the 1975 rule. Besides the regatta is usually run out of Mill Creek which is where Suzi Q is docked.

I have heard of the Turkey Shoot regatta but can't recall details. Where and when is it?

Happy Sailoring~~~~/)~~~~
Will Wheatley, CDSOA
Sailing The Bay near Chesapeake Beach, MD
RMeigel
1979 Cape Dory 27
Annapolis

Turkey Shoot - Sept 30, Oct 1-2, 2005

Post by RMeigel »

http://www.hospiceturkeyshootregatta.com/

The Turkey Shoot does NOT conflict with the Annapolis Boat Show this year.

It is custom made for the Cape Dory group - it is not a "CBYRA - sanctioned" race - it is primarily a gathering of those who do not ordinarily race. It is open to older boats - the DESIGN of which is 25 years old or older.

Search under "Turkey Shoot" in our archives for reports from earlier years.

Robin
RMeigel
1979 Cape Dory 27
Annapolis

Exception Denied - Good Old Boat Regatta

Post by RMeigel »

I have heard back from the Good Old Boat Regatta - they are sticking to their 1975 rule because to relax it would result in an influx of eligible participants that would overwhelm their ability to absorb them.

The Turkey Shoot Regatta may be the best opportunity for Cape Dory owners to race in an informal and convivial atmosphere.

Robin Meigel
s/v "Pacem"
1979 CD 27
John D.
CD27 #105
Annapolis, Maryland

Robin & Will - this Saturday?

Post by John D. »

Saturday forecast is for NW winds 10-15 kts.

If Robin has crew, I'll invite Will to team with me.

Start at Thomas/Tolly Point?
John D.

New Race in Baltimore for Good Old Boats

Post by John D. »

The Constellation Foundation is organizing a new race to raise funds for maintaining the U.S.S. Constellation, the last all sail vessel commissioned in the USN.

The USS Constellation Cup will be on Oct. 15, 2005.

Entries are limited to boats designed before 1980, so the CD-27 would qualify. There also is a very relaxed method for getting a PHRF rating. See http://www.constellation.org/cup/course.doc

I plan to enter. Anyone else? Anyone interested in crewing?

John D.
CD27 #105
Whitehall Creek