Cape Dory Typhoon Trailer

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Steel Beach

Cape Dory Typhoon Trailer

Post by Steel Beach »

Anybody -- please -- have some info on the specs or manufacturer for a Typhoon trailer. Have looked at a couple for sale, but really want a trailer to keep it in the yard. Any assistance/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Ty Trailer Quotes

Post by Guest »

I looked into this a while back and got two quotes from Triad Trailer in CT and Loadmaster in Ohio, both of which were in the high 2k - low 3k range, a little high for me. I ended up buying a (barely) used aluminum Loadmaster (made in FL - a different brand altogether than the aforementioned one) which I'm in the process of modifying for the Typhoon. If you're interested in the quotes I got I'll email them to you.

Bob
pakehaoleDELETETHIS@yahoo.com
RIKanaka
Location: 1988 CD26 #73 "Moku Ahi" (Fireboat), Dutch Harbor, RI

Link to trailer pictures

Post by RIKanaka »

Here's a link to a collection of photos that I accumulated and posted awhile back. No measurements are included but you can get some good visual information.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/pakehaole ... g=0&.spd=2

Also on this board there is a .pdf document (from the home page, click "Cape Dory Info", then "Online Manuals") with measurements for a steel cradle. The builder/owner of the cradle has previously cautioned against the use of the measurements for trailer customization as the static support requirements differ from trailering requirements but you can get a rough idea of the dimensions that you'll be dealing with.
Aloha,

Bob Chinn

Great Photos

Post by Guest »

Bob - Thanks so much for the slide show. While it is tough to describe a trailer as "hot," you had some great photos which I can transcribe into some drawings. Some of the designs were remarkable simple using existing trailers. THANKS so very much.