Typhoon weekender vs daysailer

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Baysailer

Typhoon weekender vs daysailer

Post by Baysailer »

Lately I've been looking into typhoons, I think they'd be a good fit. I sail Ontario and almost always solo and a typhoon looks like it is custom made for that. But I don't know from a sailing perspective or other differences between a daysailer or weekender or if the cockpits much larger in a daysailer for when I can get others out with me.

Thank you
Fred B
wpw4

Weekender / Daysailor

Post by wpw4 »

Fred,

I had a Weekender for a few years, have never been on the Daysailor. The Weekender was easy to singlehand and had a fairly large cockpit as well. Four adults for a daysail was never a problem and it had the added benefit of a place to get out of the weather when necessary.

A good place to start might be the CD Owner's Assoc (if you haven't already) - go to "CD Info" / "CD Spec's" / and click on the Typhoon. And, at the bottom of the page, they offer a review of the Typhoon and info on the Daysailor.

Too, your choice may be limited to availability. Seems like there are a lot more ads for Weekenders than Daysailors.

Any case, all the best in your searching.
Jeff Clark

Daysailor or weekender

Post by Jeff Clark »

I owned a daysailor for a few years and have sailed the weekender several times. I far prefer the daysailor for its deep, roomy and very comfortable cockpit. You sit down IN the boat, not on it. Newbies fell very secure even when heeled. Note the cockpit is not self draining. The daysailor also has a masthead rig instead of a fractional rig.
barleycopse
"Loon"

Weekender vs. Daysailer

Post by barleycopse »

Once upon a time we owned a weekender. It was hull no. 15. The older boats did not have self bailing cockpits which meant that the seating had good "adult" leg room. We installed a gusher hand pump and a 1-1/2" hose with a strainer at the bottom of the keel pocket. This lead to a thru-hull we installed low on the transom. Never had any problems with water. Once or twice after long absences, the floorboards would be awash, though.

Another advantage of the older hulls was that the mast was not deck stepped, but went down through the coach roof and stepped on the vee berth shelf giving greater strength.

We sailed out of Scituate, MA the first season and then sailed to Potts Harbor, ME that October a week after Hurricane Bob went through.

Great boat, secure and had a good turn of speed for such a short waterline.

Cheers,
Don Cline
Baysailer

Post by Baysailer »

After I posted I looked through the archives and found quite a bit of info on both, probably should have beforehand. I don't know if it will be this year but a Typhoon is on the top of my sailing want list..

Your right it looks like either would fill my needs nicely even though I'm 100% a day sailer. Currently I have a Mariner but the waters I sail in and the fact that I'm also primarily a solo sailer the added stability would increase my sailing enjoyment and time plus the Typhooons look nice under sail and on the mooring.

Fred
Appleton68

Sailing Solo

Post by Appleton68 »

I have a weekender and frequently sail it solo; very easy to do. Another boat which is similar to the Typhoon Daysailer is the Alberg designed Ensign. Enjoy
Greg