Typhoon Portholes

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

JER

Typhoon Portholes

Post by JER »

I am looking to replace the glass in my 1974 Typhoon's portholes. There is a female threaded receptical in the boat. I spoke to Spartan Marine. They sell a single fixed unit. If I can find a replacement glass with the matching male threads, it would make replacement a whole lot easier. Anyone with a lead on who sold this type of porthole?
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Re: Typhoon Portholes

Post by winthrop fisher »

Hi, when mine fell out on ever tack, i just remove them all together and put new ones in its place and put opening ports and put four of them in and allot more air in side as well. winthrop
JER wrote:I am looking to replace the glass in my 1974 Typhoon's portholes. There is a female threaded receptical in the boat. I spoke to Spartan Marine. They sell a single fixed unit. If I can find a replacement glass with the matching male threads, it would make replacement a whole lot easier. Anyone with a lead on who sold this type of porthole?
Steve Laume

Plastic

Post by Steve Laume »

I had the original plastic ports and could not see spending the money on bronze. I pulled them out, cleaned em up and painted them with a bronze colored rustolium. I then cut out new lexan and bedded it into the port with something sticky. There is no retainer only glazing like on older house sash. The ports are not as nice as the bronze ones but it was cheap and easy to do and they do look neat and clean. Any hardware store will have plexi glass or lexan. Fair winds, Steve.
Tim Mertinooke

Bronze opening ports

Post by Tim Mertinooke »

Winthrop are your opening ports bronze? I have been looking to buy two opening bronze ports to replace the static originals but I am having trouble finding a manufacturer who supplies the size I think I need. I am curious to find out where to get such ports. Tim
CD26 #52
"Odyssey"
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Re: Bronze opening ports

Post by winthrop fisher »

Hi Tim, yes they are bronze, but you have to make the hole about 1/4 inch bigger all around and then put them in, two are opening and two are fix. i got them from ABI marine, just remenber that you have to make the hole a little bigger, i think it looks better and its pretty easy to do, just take your time. winthrop

Tim Mertinooke wrote:Winthrop are your opening ports bronze? I have been looking to buy two opening bronze ports to replace the static originals but I am having trouble finding a manufacturer who supplies the size I think I need. I am curious to find out where to get such ports. Tim
Tim Mertinooke

Thanks

Post by Tim Mertinooke »

Thanks Winthrop, as always your helpful. Tim
CD26 #52
"Odyssey"