update on Breezy and answers to some questions

Cruising on your Cape Dory? Let us know your whereabouts and post cruise updates here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

mike hunter

update on Breezy and answers to some questions

Post by mike hunter »

I just had Breezy hauled out at vuda point marina to go home and work for a few months. The 2 day sail from Suva was uneventful though I cannot sleep anymore sailing in the fiji waters. The damage to the bottom was minimal considering-A bit of grinding and fiberglass to the waterline on one side and the bottom of the keel and rudder. I will also replace the bushing on the bottom shoe, though the rudder(though banged up and in need of some rebuilding) suffered no serious damage. This marina is great and is probably the best in the S. Pacific, as far as what I've seen and people I've talked to.
Just to respond to some questions-I have a tinker dingy that is small enough to fold up aft of the mast under the boom, tied down. This also has life raft capabilities-A cover can be pumped up along with the raft after pulling 2 CO2 cartridges that inflate a small inner section that will keep it afloat enough to pump it up. Other upgrades-35 lb. CQR and 150 ft of chain in the anchor locker-a bit too much weight up forward but it's been no problem. I never dragged in Uafato bay (samoa) in 35-40 knot winds-the anchor is super oversized but I figured as long as I can pull it up, I'd rather it be bigger. Other things I added:monitor windvane, SSB, mast steps, radar detector (not reflector, though I have that too), CDI roller furling(added in Hawaii-great decision), new sails, new engine (other one needed rebuild), replaced rigging(beefed up lower shrouds to 3/16), lots of other little things but that's the big stuff. That's it, thanks for all the support and I'll check in periodically. Mike
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Thanks for the information--and best of luck!

Post by Joe Myerson »

Mike:
Thanks for all the information on your upgrades. BTW, when you get a chance, could you tell me what you carry as a suit of sails?

More important: Good luck on the rest of your voyage, and keep the great e-mails coming whenever you can.

All the best!

--Joe Myerson
rtbates

good news!

Post by rtbates »

Good news on your lack of serious damage. Best wishes on the remainder of your voyage. And thanks for the information.

randy 25D Seraph #161
fenixrises

Post by fenixrises »

Hi Mike,

Good to hear someone out there living the dream.

Hope all continues to go well.

A year from now I'll be hot on your heals. Maybe we'll see each other if you keep heading west.

Are going to New Zealand and/or Australia?

Take care and enjoy,
Fred B.
You should always have an odd number of holes in your boat!
bobdugan

Re: update on Breezy and answers to some questions

Post by bobdugan »

mike hunter wrote: Other upgrades-35 lb. CQR and 150 ft of chain in the anchor locker-a bit too much weight up forward but it's been no problem. I never dragged in Uafato bay (samoa) in 35-40 knot...
Hey Mike,

As a fellow 25D'er I'm devouring all of your posts. I'm really glad that Breezy is ok!!! Cricket sends good vibes from here in the Northeast.

I'm curious about your anchor/chain arrangement. Where do you store that beast of an anchor... in the anchor well? Also do you haul the chain in with your bare hands or do you have a windlass?

Bob
Bob Dugan - Assistant Webmaster
Pacific Seacraft 34: Emerald || CD 25D: Cricket (former owner)
Jubilee Yacht Club Beverly, MA in the Spring/Fall and Bustins Island, ME in the Summer