Downwind Sailing

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

chasn_sunset
CD25 #484
Poulsbo, WA

Downwind Sailing

Post by chasn_sunset »

A receent article in Latts & Atts, by Capt. Woody talks about downwind runs on the head sail only. I aways seem to bank out my genny with the main unless it's poled out. Thoughts? Who's done this and how is it better?
Dan P.
Tom

Downwind sailing

Post by Tom »

Dan,

I didn't see the article, but I agree with Capn Woody about sailing downwind with headsails only. Except in light wind the main wants to push the stern around and cause a broach. Or you can accidentally gybe and take down the rig or cause a boach in high wind. With headsails only they pull the bow and tend to prevent a broach and make steering easy rather than critical where you're fighting the stern trying to come around. Sailing downwind where the apparent wind is less than the actual wind it's easy to get overpowered and by the time you realize you have too much sail up it's difficult to get the main down. Screaming downwind it's risky to turn broadside to the big waves and wind in order to round up so you can drop the main, and of course, you can't get the main down when it's plastered up against the shrouds. If you're overpowered with headsails only, it's easy enough to let the sheets go to slow the boat down and you can drop the headsails without rounding up because with no boom and the sails not plastered against the shrouds they will come down. And while you're getting them down the wind on the mast and headsails keep the boat tracking downwind with less tendency to broach. If you drop the headsails with the main still up, the tendency to broach is increased and the helm can become unmanagable. Then you still have the problem of turning up into the wind to get the main down with the center of effort way back and the tendency to broach increased. The safe way to sail downwind is to get the main down way early while it's still quite easy and safe to do. As the wind picks up you won't lose much speed with headsails only and if you have to shorten sails it's easy with headsails only. Worse case scenario is sailing downwind while overpowered with the main up. Upwind the opposite is true. Upwind the headsails come down first and the main gets reefed as the wind picks up, but downwind the main comes down first and then the headsails get shortened. Cruisers making downwind passages to Hawaii or wherever ofen don't fly the main at all. They rig twin headsails to keep the center of effort way forward to ease the helm and make steering easy while facilitating the shortening of sail. I think Capn Woody has it right.
Boyd

Down wind sailing

Post by Boyd »

Hi all.

I single hand my MkII routinely and down wind with just a headsail is great. The boat moves like its on rails. 120 aparent is ideal. Much more astern and the sail wants to jibe. Less and you begin to require the main to help steer.

I have sailed the channel at Featherbed Banks... its about 50 yards wide under headsail alone.

Forget the "normal" jib without the main up. It just doesnt work. I release the sheet, roll in most of the sail and jibe using boat momentum, then unroll the headsail and resheet. Better yet turn on the engine for a few minutes so you have some steerage.

This proceedure may sound contorted but remember I am a single hander. Having a crew might let you do it without the engine under momentum alone.

I have sailed down wind with just the working jib in winds over 25 kts. Its glorious and pretty easy to control. I use the autopilot under these conditions to steer. The seas were moderate that day so it was not too crazy to maintain a heading.

I need a whisker pole though. The sail tends to flap a lot in sloppy seas and light winds.

Boyd
s/v Tern
CD30 MkII
Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
chasn_sunset
CD25 #484
Poulsbo, WA

Thanks!

Post by chasn_sunset »

Yeah this makes perfect sense. I actually was in a situation a few weeks ago while running downwing under main and jib I was overpowered. Rounding up was difficult, I got pushed around as the wind overpowered the outboard trying to head up. Very scary indeed. Now I know....Thanks again!
Dan P.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Reserve power

Post by Oswego John »

Dan

That's a good reason to have a little reserve power on hand if you should need it. That is , if a larger engine will fit in your well or is not too cumbersome or heavy.

O J
rtbates

off wind

Post by rtbates »

I sail Seraph, our 25D, constantly w/o the main. In anything but a hard beat the main's hardly missed. Expect for the reduction in weather helm. Off the wind I hardly ever use the main. Serpah has a 135 genoa on a roller furler/reefer.

randy 25D Seraph #161