CD 36 repower

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Tom Blanchard
CD 36 Buffalo, N.Y.

CD 36 repower

Post by Tom Blanchard »

I'm almost finished repowering my CD 36 with a Yanmar 3JH4 which replaced the 3JH3. Yanmar does not specify using a flex coupling in the prop shaft, which the original Perkins was equipped with.
Does any one know if Robinhood uses a flex coupling with this engine or it's predecessor in their 36?
Have any other repowers used it because of the short shaft length?
Tom Blanchard
Parfait's Provider
berthed Whortonsville, NC

Flex Coupling

Post by Parfait's Provider »

Tom,

Parfait was fitted with both a PSS seal and a flexible coupling. There was some question as to whether it would all fit, but engine is well forward in the space and there was room.
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
Greg Kozlowski

Flex coupling/shaft log

Post by Greg Kozlowski »

Sherpa, our 1979 CD36, has a flex coupling between the shaft and the Hurth gear. I've always thought that the flex coupling was important in this installation primarily because we have a solid bronze, one piece shaft log-stuffing box which unlike the the two piece, rubber hose connected version one sees on many boats, probably does not tolerate vibrations or misallignment very much.

This is just a guess based on observation. However, if you have the same one piece shaft log-stuffing box set up on your boat, you may wish to research my opinion further before making a decision either way.

Regards,
Greg
patturner

Post by patturner »

Our 1979 CD36 came with the same one piece design stuffing box that Greg mentioned. When we repowered we replaced that with the common two piece design. We also installed a PSI flexible coupling. My understanding is that the shorter the length of the prop shaft the more important it is to have the coupling and the two piece stuffing box to help absorb and isolate vibration caused by the engine. Our CD's have fairly short prop shafts.

Pat
________
Grape Ape Marijuana Strain
________
Daihatsu copen history