How to pump out the holding tank

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Rich Bigg

How to pump out the holding tank

Post by Rich Bigg »

I am planning a few weekend trips this summer, and I will finally have to use the holding tank. My system is straightforward - a Y-valve that selects the holding tank or thruhull. There is a deck mounted pumpout port.
There is a pumpout station near me, but I am not sure how to use it. It appears that I just stick the pump-out hose in the port and turn the pump on. Is that it? Do I have to set the y-valve a certain way? Is there any chance of over-pumping and collapsing the tank?
I don't even like to imagine the mess if this goes wrong.
Thanks for any advice.

Rich Bigg
CD27 Sylvia Kay
Barnegat NJ
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

There's not much to it...

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Hi Rich,

Yup, what you've described is pretty much all you have to do. Make sure that the correct nozzle is attached -- there are different sizes since not every deck fitting is the same size. Have a bucket of soapy water with a bit of bleach in it on hand so that you can put the pumpout nozzle in it immediately after pumping out the tank and pumpout the contents of the bucket. The tank is vented so it won't collapse.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Russell Skinner

Pumpout

Post by Russell Skinner »

My air vent does get clogged now and then, it should be located near the pump out deck fitting, when you start to suck out the goodies, listen for the air being sucked in, if there is no whishing sound, you might want to clean out the vent where it enters the hull.

The good news is, when things work right, this is a very satisfying event. Like a big nautical enema.