New Owner CD27 - Needs info on trucking from MD to NY

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Ray Garcia

New Owner CD27 - Needs info on trucking from MD to NY

Post by Ray Garcia »

I am purchasing a 1981 CD27 in Maryland and having her trucked up north to Long Island, NY.

1. Reputable trucker/hauler needed.
2. Tips to get her ready to be trailered.
3. Cost estimate.

This is a great board!

Here I thought the "Honda Element Owners Club" was unique.
http://www.elementownersclub.com/

Thanks in advance.
bottomscraper

Try Brownell

Post by bottomscraper »

We use Brownell for local moves (MA <-> NH) but they also do longer moves. I have no idea what they charge for longer moves.

http://www.brownellsystems.com/long_dis ... nsport.htm
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Bill Goldsmith

Cove Point Marine--Deale MD is good, too.

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

I also had a good experience with the following company:

http://www.covepointmarineservices.com/index.html
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

New Owner CD 27

Post by Oswego John »

I sold a boat to a fellow in the midwest recently. The purchaser contracted with Horizon Transport Inc www.horizontransport.com #1-800-320-4 ... luck, O J
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

New Owner CD27

Post by Oswego John »

IMHO- The web page for Horizon Transport leaves me a little confused. I think that it would be better to talk to them on the phone, as I did .

Good luck,

O J
Marianna Max

Post by Marianna Max »

Out of curiosity, is it cheaper to hire someone to sail it to its new berth for you? I'm assuming it is in working condition.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Marianna Max wrote:Out of curiosity, is it cheaper to hire someone to sail it to its new berth for you? I'm assuming it is in working condition.
Good question. I'm curious what a delivery skipper would charge.

Maryland to Long Island isn't an insignificant trip. But if the owner is up to it, asking for crew on this board would probably get enough qualified hands to help. That's how I ended up on the Cape Cod to Maine delivery with Bob Emmons.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
M. R. Bober

Welcome aboard

Post by M. R. Bober »

Ray,
Congratulations on your fine new CD. Many years ago I used Shiller Marine Transport to move TIA MARI (1979 CD 27) from Ocean City to Annapolis. I was satisfied with their work & charges. They are still in business, I think.

OBTW: I also post on the EOC website, and have noticed a commonality amongst the posts & posters of both boards. The Element is--of course--the ULTIMATE CAPE DORY SUPPORT VEHICLE!

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Annapolis (where thinking inside of the box is Elemental,) MD
Ray Garcia

Post by Ray Garcia »

Wow, thanks for all the responses!

While I do have the "ocean" experience to be able to sail her back I unfortunately don't have the time. I just started a new job this year and was not looking to "pop" my entire 2 weeks vacation sailing her to New York. Unfortunately now I may have no choice. I had a hauler who gave me a quote for $975. But now one of their drivers is sick. This could delay the haul until June or later, depending on their schedule.

Question:
Anyone ever sail up to New York from Chesapeake area? I would transit the CD canal and then work my way down the Delaware Bay to Cape May. Pretty much the rest of my trip would be in and out of the Jersey Coast to New York. I've never sailed the ICW, heard it's too shallow in spots anyway. I've done offshore deliveries (sail +50' in length) and can't compare the two. Weather would play a great part also.

Your experiences, notes, and time taken would be of great help.

Thanks.

In the meantime, back to looking for a hauler, just in case.
Jerry S.

New owner CD 27

Post by Jerry S. »

I bought the boat mentioned above by Oswego John. We both had contact with Horizon Transport, and, as John said, we were both well pleased with their delivery. I made the original contact through PK Boat Transport; I worked with Kenny Breedon (423-351-1443) who set up the shipment with Horizon. This was my first time contracting to have a boat hauled so I was somewhat wary. If you go to the websight -http://www.boathaul.com/- (also stated as PK Boat Transport) you will find some instructions on checking out the carrier's insurance and operating authority information. I followed the information and made phone calls to the state where Horizon Transport is registered (If I remember correctly it is Indiana) before I agreed to ship the boat. The cost was $916.15. Considering a 900 + mile trip (one way) and related expenses, I thought this was a very good price.

Jerry
Jerry S

Post by Guest »

Congrats on new CD.

Im in the same boat! Just bought a CD25.

I am preparing to sail it from Vermilion OH back to Buffalo NY.

Have a great season on your new vessel.

John B
Emil Maurer

Trucking from MD to NY

Post by Emil Maurer »

I have used Lighthouse Boat Transport, Lindenhurst NY, 631-225-2800 to transport a CD 25D from Rochester NY to Long Island. They used to haul boats for Cape Dory. After getting an estimate, ask them what it would cost doing the job at their time and scheduling convenience. You will probably get a better price
Emil Maurer
Tod Mills

Sail back in stages?

Post by Tod Mills »

Any possibility of sailing her back in stages, heading down on Friday night and sailing over the weekend, then leaving her until the next weekend? Maurice Griffiths wrote of doing that sort of cruising around the coast of England.

I've used these folks to have a boat transported from western Montana to Ohio: www.deepwatertransport.com and was very pleased with their professionalism. Although they are located in NC they transport all over.

Enjoy her!
Tod Mills
Montgomery 17 "BuscaBrisas", Sandusky, OH (with trips elsewhere)
Tartan 26 project boat
Cape Dory admirer
Mark Yashinsky
Second Chance

If trucking,

Post by Mark Yashinsky »

have you researched facilities at each end for things like (un)step the mast, and getting her in and out of the water/stands (crane/travelift) that the tractor trailer can get to and from? Look at height, turns, allowed vehicle weight, around the source and destination of this trip. You might have to be doing additional contracting ($$$) to get this stuff done.
Also, dont forget to allow time to clear out and pack up the boat, and secure and pad anything not removable. Ask the trucking company about the transport of fuel and batteries.

Matey, we have another 27 on the board!! More wind to you.
Ray Garcia

Post by Ray Garcia »

Update: I found a shipper "A1 Haul A Boat" here on Long Island, (1-800-779-4020). They gave me a very competitive quote.

I really would have loved to sail her back. After studying the charts and reading other small boat passages heading north from Chesapeake area the trip would have been relatively easy. The biggest hurdle for me was time and the boat. The boat seems like it is in great shape, but as you know you need a feel for a boat to know what she can and cannot do. Unfortunately I would not have had enough time to plan and prepare before having to head north.

In finding transport I found that shippers do not favor “smaller” sailboats. Some outright refused, others cancelled, and others yet told me good luck in finding a haul. I got the impression that between the cost of fuel and time there is not much money to be made transporting a 27' boat. I would imagine there is more to be made on 34' and longer boats over longer distances.

If you’re considering transporting over land, call early and don't be afraid to ask questions. At one point I was calling marina's here on Long Island for transport companies they would recommend. If you can wait for June, July or early August (slower months for a transport) you may get a better rate. A parked truck or empty flatbed makes no money.

I'll give everyone an update on how this turns out. The transport is setup for May 18-19th.