PSS Dripless Shaft Seal

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Martin

PSS Dripless Shaft Seal

Post by Martin »

Our CD31 is having a "face lift". While in yard we have decided to replace the bronze shaft with stainless, replace cutlass bearing and install a PSS Dripless shaft seal.
Does anyone know the size PSS we should purchase?
Thanks in advance.
Nancy & John Martin
CD31, #85, CARINA
Bill Goldsmith

PSS Size . . .

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

Is dictated by two measurements: The shaft diameter (probably 1") and the outside diameter of the shaft log (should be measured).
Zeida Cecilia-Mendez

PSS Shaft seal

Post by Zeida Cecilia-Mendez »

Make sure you measure first the length of the PSS seal vs. the length from the coupler to where the shaft exits the hull... on my CD-33 there is not enough space and I could not install the PSS dry seal. Before you buy it, make sure it fits. :)
Zeida
Glen

PSS Dripless Shaft Seal

Post by Glen »

How often do the o-rings in these units need to be replaced? Is there a recommended maintenance schedule or do you just wait until they fail?
Parfait's Provider
berthed Whortonsville, NC

O-Rings

Post by Parfait's Provider »

"The O-rings are stationary and do not wear." This does not explain why they claim to supply spares.

See http://www.shaftseal.com/the-pss-shaft- ... ained.htmlfor details of the assembly.

Also, do be certain the seal assembly will fit. It was touch and go with the 36 and the new Yanmar 3J. I don't think it will fit with the Perkins 4-108.
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
Bob Luby

Shaft Seal Maintenance

Post by Bob Luby »

I think the maintenance is basically zero. I had my yard install one in Grendel about 10 years ago and have had no trouble.

Basically my yard told me "don't touch it" so I don't- The only "maintenance" needed, according to the nice lady at their booth in one of the Atlantic City boat shows, was "burping" the seal when you splash the boat. You press the 2 carbon flanges apart till water dribbles in, then release them. This admits the water that lubricates the seals. That's it.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it.!"
________
Strawberry cough
________
Chrysler sebring (convertible)