CD30 Cutter B-layout or CD33?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Mathias

CD30 Cutter B-layout or CD33?

Post by Mathias »

I bought a CD 25 in 2003. At the time I didn't yet know that I would have the chance of a lifetime to sail away for some undetermined amount of time. Now I have that chance and I am looking for the boat to do that with.

I might start out heading from the Northeast to the Carribbean, but I would want the boat to be up to a cross Atlantic as well.

I am comparing the CD30 Cutter with B-layout (quarterberth, small nav table and shower stall) versus a CD 33. (Bigger nav table, no shower stall, and not a cutter)

It seems the price is about equivalent for both.

The CD30 has less displacement and hence might bounce around more. The exta 3-feet would not only provide more sea comfort, but also more stowage for the stretches that my partner will join me.

On the other hand, the CD30 is a cutter, and after reading a number of books on heavy weather, I understand the cutter is the preferred rig in heavy weather. It also allows better pointing.

And, then there is the operational cost. Three feet less is three feet less cost on everything from haul-outs to bottom paints.

So, I guess my questions are:

1) Is a a better handling cutter more important than a stabler bigger boat.

2) Does three feet more inside make ALL the difference, or is it just a nice additional luxury over 30 feet?

3) And finally, what am I overlooking?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,

-Mathias
Sunset, CD25
Lake Champlain
Leopold Fuchs

CD30 vs. 33

Post by Leopold Fuchs »

As an owner of a 33, crawl up in the V birth and see if it works for you.
They attempted to have the birth operate on an angle and unless you're small it ain't working good. I've got a great 33 but to tell you the truth wish I had dug a little deeper and bought a T cockpit 36. YOu would have the exta space, a bigger head, more horse power and of course a cutter rig. The traveler on the 36 is forward of the companion way and the 33 and 30 are in the cockpit and easier to single hand.
fenixrises

Post by fenixrises »

Hi Mathias,

Depending on the number of boat units your have, bigger is better to a point.

Remember a 33 isn't 10% or three feet longer than a 30, it is 13,300 lbs vs. 10,000 lbs or 33% bigger!

The 33 could be rigged with a second stay and made into a twin headsail sloop without too much difficulty.

Probably the most important question is "Can you handle the boat and its gear by yourself?" Not when it is sunny and mild but when it is stormy and dark.

Happy deciding,
Fred B.
You should always have an odd number of holes in your boat!
Paul Kamins

CD 30

Post by Paul Kamins »

I have a CD30, my first boat. For two years I have been teaching myself to sail. I have been able to single hand this boat. I think it is the largest boat I would feel comfortable with at this time, and it is a safe-feeling boat at that. I sail the Penobscot Bay in Maine and things get pretty rough quickly at times. My wife has informed me that is the last boat ( which I doubt) and that I have maxed out on my boat units ( which may be true..... but I could always work harder to earn more units). I would be glad to answer any further questions about the 30. Paul.
paul marti

30 vs 33

Post by paul marti »

Mathias, I think what you might be overlooking is the CD31, significantly larger inside, still a cutter rig and an excellent sea boat. I singlehanded a CD31 acrsoss the Pacific. I currently have a CD33, great boat, in fact you can't go wrong with any, but take a look at the 31 it's a nice compromise. No quarter berth but an aft shower /head that works great as a wet locker during passages. You also end up with a couple huge lazarettes. Great place to bury stuff that you'll forget you have. Have fun looking! Paul
Jay Kanavos

CD-30B

Post by Jay Kanavos »

Mathias,

I have a CD-30 B-layout and enjoy it very much for the type of sailing that I do. Currently, I really only use it for day trips or afternoon sails with the family and some friends. Essentially, I am sailing it myself as the family enjoys the view more than sailing. So it is a symbiotic relationship.. :-)

Overall, I am very pleased with the boat but can see a few drawbacks if I were to consider more than a few days of living onboard. Among them are the lack of storage space. While there are hanging lockers forward and a quarterberth, there really isn't any place to store lots of stuff like food and clothes for more than one person. Although there are folks like Larry Demers (who owns a 30) and others that have lived aboard for months at a time, I believe that they have made some substantial modifications. I suspect you might have to do the same for an Atlantic crossing in a CD-30.

Bottomline, I love the CD-30 and it meets my, and my family's, sailing needs. BTW, the cutter layout is great for varying wind conditions and the self-tending boomed staysail is nifty and effortless. Tacking with the yankee takes some getting used to as it has to fit in between the stays (not a lot of room). But once you get the hang of it, it works out fine.

Jay
Jay
s/v JenEric, #327
CD-30C, B-layout
Boston, MA
Russell Skinner

30 vs 33

Post by Russell Skinner »

There is a 330- the cutter rigged 33 with a T cockpit, for sale on Yacht World. Best of all possible worlds. Although, if my life had an opening, I would not hesitate to leave on my CD30C. Though if I were alone I'd take the head and V-berth doors off.
Clay Stalker

Which Boat?

Post by Clay Stalker »

I think this depends on whether you're going alone or will have crew. If you're going to be primarily alone, pick one of the 30s....if you will have crew, pick the biggest boat you can afford as offshore big is good. Then decide on what interior features are important to you, especially as a long-term resident. As for cutters and sloops, sloops typically point better, but cutters are easier to handle with their smaller sails and more sail combinations, especially for heavy weather. While I wouldn't choose to, I would feel safe sailing my small cutter in 40 knots of wind with a double reefed main and staysail. And remember to read extensively about offshore voyaging....it is very different than coastal cruising, and whatever boat you end up with may need some modifications to make it truly offshore ready.

Clay Stalker
Carl Radke

CD 30 B plan

Post by Carl Radke »

Will be looking for a new boat after selling my Bristol 27. I too am very interested in the CD 30, 32 or 33.

To me the 30 is the prettiest boat of the CD line. Something about the proportions make it sweet to me. Beauty in the eye of the beholder and all that...

Does the 31 have a bit more freeboard proportionally than the 30? The one I looked at seemed to be sitting rather tall in the slip in comparison. I like the head location on the 31. Keel stepped mast was cool too.

I like the space of the 33. Would love to look at a 32.
Mathias

Thank you all

Post by Mathias »

Thank you one and all for your considered input.

As a result, I have decided to wait another year so I have enough boat units to buy the most boat I can. That is a theme that is repeated time and time again.

I do like the CD330 cutter, but alas, that asking price is just a bit beyond my reach right now.

If I were heading out by myself, then I would definitely choose the CD31 cutter. Thanks for pointing out that "best of all worlds" option. I don't know why I had overlooked that one.

Since I don't expect to depart until next summer, I still have a little time to look and collect more boat units.

-Mathias
Sunset, CD25
Lake Champlain
Paul D.

CD 33 Thoughts

Post by Paul D. »

Mathias,

Regarding the CD33, there are six of them on Yachtworld from 43-59K. They are a good, solid 33 footer and in my book a fine offshore boat that can handle larger stuff. Yes I would prefer a yawl and yes I would like more stowage but overall I think for the money it is a sound bargain with lots of information on it for the refit you will inevitably do before a long voyage.

The philosophy my wife and I used for our search was to find the smallest boat we could be comfortable on for extended periods. We have since spent several 1 to 2 1/2-week voyages with two and three folks with good luck. Not having sailed a 30, but with experience spending evenings aboard, I know the difference in the room below is fairly substantial, much more than the difference between the 33 and the 36 for example. You will never have enough stowage, period, so I would focus on other things. I love our mainsheet traveller on the bridgedeck - never liked the cabin top winches. Singlehanding our 33 is as simple as sailing our old Typhoon and, when the wind is right, we often sail up into very tight harbors and up to docks (to the chagrin of my harbor buddies, but hey, they'll have a good laugh when I screw up!)

I would not hesitate to take our boat offshore as is, we go across Lake Superior twice a year (May and September) currently, but I would ideally either get a Galesail, get a smaller jib or really ideally, set up a removeable staysail stay.

I find the nav table efficient for folded charts when the cabin is rolling around to 45 degrees, using a spring clamp to hold the chart, the lazerette big enough for fenders, autopilot (the big old Benmar!) and cleaning supplies, The cabin just damn comfortable, my six foot frame can stand and tip off a beer - Herreshoff not withstanding. The forecabin is very comfortable for one. I love it. For two it is tight but v berths are like stowage, never big enough. If we want room we sleep in the saloon. We will be stowing the 18 month old midshipman up there this year, with lots of blankets

I wish the anchor system was more cruising oriented with a short bowsprit and room for two anchors up there - God knows we need more weight in the bow to trim her up properly, a common complaint. I stuff the spare anchor in the locker and keep the oversized CQR on the roller with lashing, not my favorite setup but it does work well and is simple to use without much to break.

Hope this helps, writing this helps me get through the last few weeks before launching anyway!

All the best and keep us posted of your choices,
Paul Danicic
CD 33 #77 Femme du Nord
Mpls MN
Mathias

Opinions on cabin top vs. bridge traveller

Post by Mathias »

Paul,
Thanks for your comments. Very helpful. I would like to know more about your thoughts on the traveller being cabin top vs. bridge mounted. You said you preferred bridge-mounted. How come?

Any others with experience or preferences on this?

Thanks,
-Mathias
Sunset, CD25
Lake Champlain
bottomscraper

cabintop vs bridge traveller

Post by bottomscraper »

Our previous boat an S2 23 had a bridge deck traveller and a tiller. The good thing was that the helm's person could handle both the main sheet and tiller at the same time. The bad thing was that the main sheet was in the way all the time. Mahalo has a cabin top traveler. Not as handy but not in the way either. The main sheet is on a winch and you are typically not adjusting it for every puff. Given the choice I would choose the cabin top on a larger boat. On a smaller boat like our West Wight Potter with a center board, having the main sheet available to the helm's person was very important because things happen very fast and it was possible to turtle the boat in a gust.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com