new typhoon owner/advice needed

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

robert brown
Beverly, Ma.

new typhoon owner/advice needed

Post by robert brown »

getting started with a 1978 TY...

I took off all but the rubrail and the cockpit coming. 5 coats of ephinanes rapid coat so far. take the coming off or do it in place. this boat sat half it's life in dry dock and undercover, good cover. It needs a good sanding and the same amount of coats. never a bit of varnish before...

Has anyone taken the cockpit coming off to sand/varnish?

Everything else has come off easy and boy does it look great so far with 3-5 coats.

I painted the deck with Interlux-Interdeck, (creme color)it took 2 coats but again looks great.

Hull componded and waxed up great.

My question, take off the coming or do it in place. Is it just screws or does it bolt thru any where, what about near the cabin.

It would be great to do it off the baot, but I am worried about removing and getting it back on.

Rebedding required?

Thanks for any help
Steve Laume

Take it off

Post by Steve Laume »

The combing comes off very easily. There are screws along the cockpit untill you get to the lockers then there are 3 machine screws with nuts on the inside. The nuts are easy to reach inside the locker. The only other fasteners are 3 large screws inside the cabin that go through to the front of the combing. You will need a #3 phillips (a big one) head screwdiver for these. The caulk may hold it in place a bit but thats it. After all these years the wood has a permenate bend so it is very easy to reassemble. Do all surfaces of all the pieces to seal the wood and you will have a first class job. Make her proud, Steve.
Tim Mertinooke

Turn her into a yacht

Post by Tim Mertinooke »

Robert, I recently took the coamings off of my Ty to finish them. Ten coats of Epifanes clear gloss varnish later, and I have no regrets. This puppy is starting to look like a mini-yacht, polished bronze and all (that ought to ruffle the feathers of the patina folks on board). I am tempted to use Epifanes Rapidclear for the toerail because of the claims of a fast buildup that's clear, but I have not spoken with anyone that has tried it. After using the product tell me what you think in regards to appearance and durability. Does it look like varnish? The beauty of the Ty is that it is 18.5 feet long so those of us who want a yacht can pretend to have one with a fraction of the work others in this graceful line would need to do the same. Make her beautiful. Tim
CD26 #52
"Odyssey"