New Typhoon owner - thank you John Dunn

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jerry S.

New Typhoon owner - thank you John Dunn

Post by Jerry S. »

Hello,

I have been following this board for some time - about six months or so ago I saw an add posted by John Dunn for a Typhoon that he had for sale. We communicated about the boat for many months, and I bought it based on our communications and Johns word that although the Typhoon needed a good deal of TLC, it was structurally sound and with a little elbow grease would be ready for this years sailing season. We received the boat yesterday - I can't imagine having a better buying experience (and I never met John face to face) - my daughter, son and I are ecstatic about this boat and the coming sailing season. Thank you very much John; it has been a pleasure sharing this transaction with you. I have had a number of thoughtful and delightful conversations with your wife as well; I don't know if she reads these posts, so please convey my thanks to her as well.

I look forward to communications on this board and will share our experiences with elbow grease and sailing in the days to come.

All my best to you and yours John.

Jerry
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

New Typhoon Owner

Post by Oswego John »

Jerry,

Thank you for the kind words. The feelings are mutual. It was a pleasant transaction that was based on old fashioned trusting in a person's word. Sort of like in the "Old Days" when a genuine handshake sealed the deal, something that is very rare in this day and age.

Good luck in the metamorphosis of your changing a caterpillar into a beautiful butterfly. We eagerly await the before and after photos of the progress that you and the kids are making. Best of luck. Above all, have fun.

"Oswego John" Dunn
Dick Barthel

Welcome

Post by Dick Barthel »

Jerry,

Welcome to the club and enjoy your new baby. I look forward to hearing all about your rehab experiences on the board.

Dick
barleycopse
"Loon"

Enjoy Your Typhoon

Post by barleycopse »

For six years we owned Typhoon No. 15 and have a great many memories of fantastic journeys from Scituate, MA to Casco Bay in Maine. A Pilot whale breaching beside us, night sails off Portsmouth, NH, feeling our way around in Maine fog... All the makings of wonderful tales.

Enjoy!

Cheers,
Lorraine & Don Cline
Jerry S.

beginning of the project

Post by Jerry S. »

Thanks for the welcome! I will be posting pictures over this weekend. My daughter Hannah is also looking forward to posting as we make progress.

John, you might be interest that we had the local boat expert, who works for Boaters Plus, over Tuesday evening. He checked over the whole boat and was amazed at the great structural shape she is in. He agrees with my thinking that we should do the basics now to get her into the water and take care of the details over the course of the summer. Hannah has a pristine boat in her mind which is fine with me, but I have sailing in mind so the brightworks and non-sailing essentials are going to be a slower progression.

We've already started the wonderful tails; Nicholas, my 4 year old, and I spent last evening reading bedtime stories about sailing while sitting in the boat on the trailer in the garage. It is actually more comfortable reading to him in the boat, one of us to starboard and one to port with our backs to the cuddy cabin, than in his own bed. Of course now you know where he will want to read bedtime stories every night. (Thats OK... so do I) :)