Chesapeake Bay Cape Dorians

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

David Sabourin
Tracy's Creek, Maryland

Chesapeake Bay Cape Dorians

Post by David Sabourin »

Fellow sailers,
Although our fleet has three scheduled cruises for this upcoming season, there are lots of weekends available to share this beautiful bay with other Cape Dory owners......two years ago we posted a note on the board that we planned a weekend trip to a cove near Knapps Narrows. We were joined by three other boats. Brett Miller and spouse, Will Wheatly and Robin Meigel. Beth and I were thinking that we would be glad to host a few of these "getaway weekends" over the course of the season.....so be on the look out for a posting on Wednesdays about plans for the weekend destinations. Any advice or ideas to expand this plan would be appreciated too.....

Let's get together on the water soon...

David Sabourin & Beth Wingerd
Mad Hatter 11
Frank Vernet

Post by Frank Vernet »

David

Sounds like a great suggestions. We'll be watching the Board with anticipation. See you out there.
"A sailor's joys are as simple as a child's." - Bernard Moitessier
RMeigel
1979 Cape Dory 27
Annapolis

Post by RMeigel »

Hi David - I'll splash in on April 19 - Robin
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Re: Chesapeake Bay Cape Dorians

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Hi David,
David Sabourin wrote:Fellow sailers,
Although our fleet has three scheduled cruises for this upcoming season, there are lots of weekends available to share this beautiful bay with other Cape Dory owners....
You can make these little float-ins official CDSOA events if you'd like. Just contact <a href="http://www.capedory.org/contactus.html">Chesapeake Fleet Captain Jeff Wright</a> and let him know that you'd like to host an event or two then send me the dates and such and I'll add them to the CDSOA's "<a href="http://www.capedory.org/events.html">Events</a>" page for you.

Cathy
CDSOA Webmaster
webmaster@capedory.org
RMeigel
1979 Cape Dory 27
Annapolis

Spontaneous Raft Ups

Post by RMeigel »

When you make them "official" the explicit or implicit understanding is that they are for members only.
AnnapolisMark

Power "Cape Dorians"

Post by AnnapolisMark »

There are several power "Cape Dorians" on the Chesapeake. Are we welcome to join the sailors?

Mark Cline
CD Power 28 FB #219
Brandywine
Annapolis, MD
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Re: Spontaneous Raft Ups

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

RMeigel wrote:When you make them "official" the explicit or implicit understanding is that they are for members only.
I won't speak for the Chesapeake Fleet but non-members are definitely welcome and encouraged to participate in the Northeast Fleet's activities.

All of the Northeast Fleet's events are open to non-CDSOA members BUT non-members may be charged an addiitional fee since they don't pay dues which supplement the events. As an example, take a look at some of <a href="http://www.capedory.org/fleetevents/200 ... ents">last year's events</a> as well as <a href="http://www.capedory.org/events.html#NEFleetEvents">this year's events</a> for the <b>Northeast Fleet</b>. The fees will be indicated on the registration form if not on the web pages for each of the events. (We're still in the process of building our summer sailing schedule, so not everything is available online yet for this year's events.) Note that all of our on-the-water events include the wording "<b>All owners of both Cape Dory power and sailboats, CDSOA members and non-members, are welcome to attend.</b>" Some of the events are free to everyone but for those that include fees an additional fee is required from non-members.

We hope that after attending one or two of our events you'll find that we're a fun and worthwhile organization with some really nice people and join.

Fair winds,
Cathy
Northeast Fleet Captain--CDSOA, Inc.
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Will Wheatley
On Mill Creek in Annnapolis, MD

Re: Spontaneous Raft Ups

Post by Will Wheatley »

RMeigel wrote:When you make them "official" the explicit or implicit understanding is that they are for members only.
Hi Robin
If you look at the events page for the Chespeake Fleet you will see that it begins with the following quote;
"The Chesapeake Fleet intends to host several events this Summer. All Cape Dory owners, both members and non-members, are welcome to attend.".

So officially all events, both scheduled and any trip others feel like having posted for everyone, are open to all.

I'm glad David brought this up since it is a great idea. I had fun on the trip to Dun Cove a few summers ago I look forward to paying you back for the dinner you made me.

The only thing I have on the schedule for sure right now is to meet up with the Chesapeake Fleet on the tail end of the summer cruise, probably Monday thru Thursday, June 27-30. The full schedule for the summer cruises went out in the Masthead but it will be on the events page soon. I don't have the schedule in front of me but Tuesday the 28th is on the Rhode River at High Island, Wed the 29th is on the Wye River and the 30th is Marshy Creek by Kent Narrows where the Awards dinner will be. Anyone is welcome to come for all or any portion of this or any scheduled event so I hope to see you out there.

Happy Sailoring~~~~/)~~~~
Will Wheatley, CDSOA
Sailing The Bay near Chesapeake Beach, MD

Re: Power "Cape Dorians"

Post by Guest »

AnnapolisMark wrote:There are several power "Cape Dorians" on the Chesapeake. Are we welcome to join the sailors?
I did not specifically mention Power CDs in my responce to Robin but you may consider yourself welcome.

_[]___
Happy Uh... Cape Dorying~~~l____/~~~