Ice box drain on a CD-30

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Steve Laume

Ice box drain on a CD-30

Post by Steve Laume »

Has anybody found a way to get to the ice box drain line connection at the bottom of the box? I can just feel it by reaching in from the engine compartment but doubt that I could reattach a new hose if I could get to old one off. I tried cutting the bottom out of the cabinet next to the box but there is no way to reach in from there. There is not much room under there for anything else either. I thought I could find some extra storage but the water lines are about all there is room for. I thought to try the side of the cabinet but figured I would ask first or maybe just replace the worst part of the hose that was in the bildge. I was hoping to replace the hose and rerout it to the shower sump. I am also working on sanitary and bildge pump hoses. I am really getting hosed, Steve.
Bill Michne

New hole?

Post by Bill Michne »

I'm not familiar with the exact setup on the CD 30, but on Mintaka an access hole was cut in the front of a cabinet. It's maybe 4" in diameter, and normally covered with a teak cap. I have had made a few such caps to cover holes made by the PO. Find a friend with a wood lathe. I used about 1/2" teak stock from West Marine.
Bill Michne
s/v Mintaka, CD 40
Steve Laume

Access hole

Post by Steve Laume »

So the PO went straight in through the front eh? Do you have the a cabinet just forward of the ice box? I was thinking I could get at the drain through the side of the cabinet. I set a 1/4 straight bit in the router just a bit deeper than the plywood thickness to cut the hole in the bottom and it was a good thing I did cause the plumbing is pretty close. Is there air space on the sides of the ice box? I guess I will just have to check and see, Steve.
Bill Michne

Post by Bill Michne »

Steve:

On my boat, think of the ice box as being in a cabinet. The ice box is on the port side, next to the companionway steps. The hole I referred to is near the floor, facing forward. There is no space between the ice box itself and its "cabinet" enclosure, as it has been filled with somekind of foam insulation.
Bill Michne
s/v Mintaka, CD 40