Cove striping

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Cove striping

Post by Guest »

My TY Weekender is presently undergoing a complete toe rail, rub rail, & taffrail replacement job ( talk about big bucks!). When she comes out of the repair shop next week, I'm interested in applying a gold cove stripe on each side. Can any one tell me the width of the stripe, the distance to maintain below the rubrail, and how far in from the bow & stern. Could someone also e-mail me a picture of the forward and aft detail, so I can have it matched

Thanks in Advance

Les Bloom

S/V PYEWACKET 1974 TY #576
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I've been wrong before (alot) but I don't think the Typhoon eer came with a cove stripe. That doesn't mean it wouldn't look good. Lots of the other CDs had a stripe but I don't think it was ever gold. So I guess that means you are free to do whatever looks good to you. I am heading to the boat today or tomorrow and can give you dimensions on the CD-30 but proportions would be different on the TY. It sounds like a great project. You might think all new rails look enough like gold by the time you are through. The stripe is a ery nice touch, Steve.
M. R. Bober

Post by M. R. Bober »

The strip on RESPITE is 3/4" wide & 4" below the rub rail. It's--big surprise--Cape Dory brown. I don't know if this information is germaine for the Typhoon.

Every best wish,
Mitchell Bober
Sunny Annapolis (where every Friday is a good one), MD
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

My TY
Mai Tai What a great name for a boat!!! :D

Sorry I couldn't resist!
Bill Member #250.
Bruce

More cove stripe info

Post by Bruce »

Here's some more info. I'm in the process of replacing the
cove stripe on my CD26. The original is brown (it faded
to almost black) and measures 1/2 inch wide. After searching
the internet I was able to locate what looks to be an exact
replacement from a place called Terry's automotive on the
internet.
sloopjohnl

cove stripe

Post by sloopjohnl »

les,

the ty did not come with a cove stripe, but i am sure it would look very good. i used vinyl, like they use for boat names for the transom, on a previous boat and it held up well. "DAERAY" on my ty's transom is also vinyl and has been there for 15 years now and still looks good. get the good stuff.