Club Footed Jib

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Bob G.

Club Footed Jib

Post by Bob G. »

I saw the post on the club footed jib. What would be the benefit as opposed to a storm jib? This will be my second season with my TY, and I`m considering one or the other. This is due to being over canvassed one day last season and I ran into trouble. Fortunately for me there`s a reason why it`s called the TYPHOON. CD TYPHOON 76 SOFIA
The Patriot

Re: Club Footed Jib

Post by The Patriot »

Bob G. wrote: ... What would be the benefit as opposed to a storm jib? ...
These sails have separate uses, although they are both classified as smaller jibs. The club rig lets you tack the boat by simply putting the helm down. There are no jib sheets to let go or haul when tacking with a club rig (although there is of course a jib sheet for setting the angle of attack of the sail).

The storm jib is a quite small jib used for comparatively heavy air. I's often in the range of 40 to 65 % LP (the club could be somewhere in the 90% LP range).

I don't know how your Typhoon is rigged but I seem to recall that quite a few of them were fitted with club booms. This should do you well enough, and quite probably a true storm jib would be something of a wasted expense.

Remember, "storm" jibs are not necessarily used in what is technically called a "storm" (Force 10). When it blows anywhere near that range you have no business being on the water.
ray b

Post by ray b »

for short time use ie one bad day
and I dought any of the TY guys plan roaring 40's passages
you can just use an old daysailor jib
as a storm sail
modern dacron is very strong and lasts
just avoid sunrot or a bad stichted sail
and any little jib should be ok
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Re: Club Footed Jib

Post by winthrop fisher »

Hi...
well i go off shore allot with the typhoon for the last twenty years or more, all i had was 90% for the storm jib and the main with three sets reefing points,
i found the 135% with a roller furling with the main work the best.
for that boat, you can do any thing you want,
but keep in mind a roller furling can reef allot faster then you think,
before i got the roller furling that storm jib 90% was all i used in crossing the gulf 1250 miles round trip.
winthrop

Bob G. wrote:I saw the post on the club footed jib. What would be the benefit as opposed to a storm jib? This will be my second season with my TY, and I`m considering one or the other. This is due to being over canvassed one day last season and I ran into trouble. Fortunately for me there`s a reason why it`s called the TYPHOON. CD TYPHOON 76 SOFIA