Maine Boat Show

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Leopold Fuchs

Maine Boat Show

Post by Leopold Fuchs »

The greatest show on earth!
This weekend, The Maine Boatbuilders Show
March 18th,19th, 20th
Portland, Maine If you're in the area it's a great way to forget about the winter, remember what is great about Maine and change gears.to spring. :!:
GeorgeV

Post by GeorgeV »

My wife and I will be attending the Maine Boat Buildes Show this weekend and look forward to seeing a lot of Cape Dory Boat owners and admirer's at the show also.

For those also interested in the Vendee Globe the lone american Bruce Schwab who sald Ocean Planet alone around the world will also be there.

Hope to see you there....

George

http://www.portlandcompany.com/bshow.html
GeorgeV
s/v: Peace and Quiet
Tayana 37
Essex, CT
http://sailingonisabelle.yolasite.com/
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

George,
No doubt you are sailing up to Maine aboard Isabelle! I do love a guy who gets out on the water whenever he can!! :D
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Clay Stalker

Maine Show this weekend

Post by Clay Stalker »

My cousin John and I will be in Portland for the Show on Saturday. Would be nice to run into some folks from this board.

Clay Stalker :)
Dalton

I Remember my visit

Post by Dalton »

I purchased RH36 hull # 205 in Dec '96. It was their boat show boat for the fall show season in '96. They asked if they could show her at this show in March '97. She was the queen of the show. The Governor of ME showed up and visited while I was aboard. Pretty heady stuff. They traded me a few things for the use. One of which was the leaning posts by the mast, which are unbelieveably great. Not to mention they detailed her before and after of course.
The craftmanship abounds at this show, from cedar plank canoes to the Robinhoods. What a treat. Maybe next year.
Phil Shedd
Rothesay NB Canada
Membership # 89

Post by Phil Shedd »

Dalton

I was there at the boat and remember seeing your boat. You are right about stealing the show. Then my girlfriend and now my wife ( who at that time knew little to nothing about sailing ) was absolutely inthralled with it. I almost thought she was going to buy me one but it would not fit in the back of the car. :? Lovely boat I hope you get to use it a lot

Phil
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Maine Boatbuilders Show

Post by Joe Myerson »

I'll be in Portland Saturday, too. Perhaps I'll run into some fellow Cape Dorians. Part of the time I'll be at the Offshore magazine booth (no Cathy, it's not a plug).

Otherwise, I expect to be wandering around, looking at the boats, mixing with all the folks who love them and, perhaps, spending some time at the Robinhood/Spartan display. I also hope to catch Ralph Stanley's seminar in the afternoon.

Until tomorrow!
Clay Stalker

Robinhood 36 at Maine Boat Show

Post by Clay Stalker »

Well, just got back from the Maine Show...Robinhood has on display a beautiful, brand new 36 built on spec for sale...very pretty boat indeed. They said something about $250,000....not a bad price at all, but this should make all you CD36 sailors darned happy indeed!

Clay Stalker :D
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Maine Boatbuilders Show

Post by Joe Myerson »

I just got back from the show, too. I didn't run into any of the folks from this board. However, while I was at the Robinhood display, looking at the boats on their brokerage board, I overheard somebody saying, "Those Cape Dories, they sure keep their value."

Couldn't agree more.

--Joe Myerson
Greg Ross
Location: Recent addition to the Fleet, an Ericson Independence 31 Hull No. 63 0f 70

Thanks for the Heads Up

Post by Greg Ross »

This Posting couldn't have been more timely. As it happened we were leaving the next day for a weeks' visit in NYC and area. I had planned a detour to Five Islands to look at the CD 31 bare hull(subject of separate post) and this Show fit with the travel itinerary perfectly.
Ditto on the comments on the RH 36, very impressed with the build quality and the entire Show, thanks again Leopold.
Greg Ross Ericson 31C
CYC, Charlottetown, PEI
Canada
welcome to the Brand-X contingent of the CDSOA
Jim East

Rockland Boat Show

Post by Jim East »

Heh, if you thought the Portland Boat Show was great, don't miss the one in Rockland, Maine this August...mid August! It's within easy reach of Vinal Haven and its many safe coves (Carver's is one of the best). To be sure, Portland has size and terrific restaurants, but Rockland has beauty, terrific restaurants (Miranda's, Primo's, and more), and easy access. It's a perfect excuse for coming to visit.

Hope to see you there.

Jim and Stephanie East
"Chazz" CD 33 #48
@ Journey's End Marina
Dalton

White Islands

Post by Dalton »

I too love the Carvers Harbor area and have stopped for lobster a few times. But if you get the chance, visit the White islands a few miles west. The slot between the little group of islands is one of our favorite anchorages. Just be sure you have a stern anchor!
We've had it to ourselves a couple of times but it can fit 2 or 3 boats.