Windlass

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

SailingWoody

Windlass

Post by SailingWoody »

Do any of you 36'ers know if I can install a vertical windlass on my bow sprit, right forward of the staysail boom? I will check with Simpson Lawrence tomorrow but thought I would ask the board first. My concern is the thickness of the sprit and the deck for hooking the two elements together. Thanks.
Woody
John Danicic

Post by John Danicic »

Woody:

I too am installing a vertical (Maxwell Freedom 800) on my CD36 this spring. I explored a similar installation scenario and came up tentatively rejecting it due to the uncertainty of what I had to drill through in the bowsprit. I would hate to run into a stainless steel tie rod. The Maxwell requires two 4 inch diameter holes to be cut.

What are your reasons for wanting to mount it there?

I did run into a picture of a vertical mounted aft of the staysail boom mount on a teak platform that replaces the cleat (which was moved forward). It looked good to me but I could still go the other way. Let me know what you come up with.

John Danicic
CD 36 Mariah - Hull #124
Lake Superior
Russell

Post by Russell »

I am installing a vertical windlass in a couple weeks, I ended up choosing my positioning based on other posts on this board. Moving the starboard bow cleat forward and installing the windlass there.

Went with the lofrans project 1000 windlass.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Parfait's Provider
berthed Whortonsville, NC

Post by Parfait's Provider »

http://www.starmarinedepot.com/Simpson+ ... 000+G.html

Woody,

It looks to me that SL gives you either 3" or 3-1/8" depending on which windlass series you install. I can't tell you how thick the deck and bowsprit are, but I can take some measurements the next time we see Parfait if that would be helpful.
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
Russell

Post by Russell »

Also wanted to point out the Lofrans project 1000 comes with an extra deck clearance model which will work on over 4" of thickness, such as through the bowsprit. I am getting this option since I am putting a 2" teak pad under the windlass so the chain will be level with the bowsprit.
Russell
Sailingwoody

Thanks

Post by Sailingwoody »

Thanks all for your input. Ken if you did happen to measure I would be grateful. I am a Virgo and to have one cleat forward of the other would drive me nuts. I know, I could move them both huh? Will look into something a little thicker.
Woody
Parfait's Provider

Orderly Virgos

Woody,

Is THAT what does it? I am going to change my birthdate....Won't mom be surprised! John Vigor, is there a ceremony I can perform to ensure a safe trip to another sign?

I see a trip to the boat about a week from now; today, I have to admit, we are holed up waiting the for the nasty weather to slide by and smack DC with a foot of snow. I think it will only be rain here, a bit warmer than it takes to put Raleigh in absolute chaos.

I ought to be able to measure the deck thickness at the hawse pipes without any trouble. I'll check to see if it looks the same at the cleats, but I don't plan to pull a bolt. Will that work for you?
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
John Danicic

deck thickness

Post by John Danicic »

Woody and Ken:

I looked in my windlass installation project records and found that the deck is 1/4 inch thick at the hawse pipes and the bow sprit is 2 inches thick.

John Danicic
CD 36 - Mariah - #124

Lake Superior
Russell

Re: deck thickness

Post by Russell »

John Danicic wrote:Woody and Ken:

I looked in my windlass installation project records and found that the deck is 1/4 inch thick at the hawse pipes and the bow sprit is 2 inches thick.

John Danicic
CD 36 - Mariah - #124

Lake Superior
Wow, the deck is only 1/4" thick there? Is it not cored in that area? This suprises me.
Russell
Parfait's Provider

CD/36 deck thickness

It occurs to me that I ought to be able to measure the thickness through the bowsprit since Parfait already has a manual windlass and hawse pipe mounted there. Duh!
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
David van den Burgh

Re: deck thickness

Post by David van den Burgh »

John Danicic wrote:Woody and Ken:

John Danicic
CD 36 - Mariah - #124

Lake Superior
On Ariel, a '79 CD36, the deck is approximately 1" - 1 1/2" thick at the hawse pipe - factory location. Interesting.

David
John Danicic

I screwed up!

Post by John Danicic »

I screwed up, misread my chicken scratching and after a review, discovered that the at the deck is 3/8 inch thick at the hawse pipe. Solid fiberglass no core. Still much thinner then Ariels. The deck seems strong and doesn't flex but Mariah does have a lot of crazing cracks. I am going to install a 1/2 inch backing plate when I mount our windlass.

John Danicic
CD 36 - Mariah - #124

Lake Superior

[Woody and Ken:

][/quote]
David van den Burgh

Deck thickness

Post by David van den Burgh »

Sorry to resurrect an old post, but I was at the boat today and decided to snap a picture of Ariel's hawse pipe. My estimate of an inch and a half was a bit generous. The actual measurement is one inch.

Here's the picture just for fun. Click to enlarge.

John Danicic

Post by John Danicic »

Dave:

Very interesting!

I will not be going to the boat till April 8th. I will get a similar picture for comparison.

John Danicic
CD 36 Mariah #124
Lake Superior
Parfait's Provider

CD/36 Deck Thickness

I'll be seeing Parfait next weekend. I'll put the rule on her deck and report back.
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC